Breastfeeding
Options

working BF moms

Do you BF or pump before work in the morning?  If you pump in the morning, do you send it with LO or a frozen one? I am wondering b/c I am trying to think about going back to work and what time I will be getting up to BF baby or if I keep him asleep and pump while I get ready, It might save some time. He will be going to my mom and MIL houses.

I know it depends on the baby, but just wondering.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: working BF moms

• Options
    It varies every day for us.  It depends on when I wake up and when DD wakes up.  Lately though, she has been sleeping when I get up so I just pump while I am getting ready.  If she wakes up, I feed her and put her back to sleep so DH can sleep a bit longer.  I still pump on those mornings as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wake her to eat though every few days she will wake me a few before my alarm goes off.  She goes in the swing and back to sleep until DH takes her to DC about 45 min after I leave.  I pump while I drive to work too.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I bf as soon to leaving house as possible, i have a stash built up from weekends and when i was home, and i freeze what i pump, and send frozen with lo to my mom's house. sometimes i'll send 1-2 oz fresh so she can add that to frozen if she needs a little more, but doesnt want to unfreeze/waste 2 oz

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I get her up around 6:00 and BF before I go to work.  She sleeps through the night, so I am pretty full in the mornings.  I have been pumping around 8:30, 11:00 and 3:30 then nurse her in the evenings around 6:00 and 9:00 pm.  This seems to be going okay for us.  I will pump enough at work to cover the next days bottles and still have some in reserve to freeze.  I have only been back to work for 4 days, so I dont have much experience.  I am interested to see how others are doing it. 

• Options
    I try to get DD to nurse in the morning before we leave. If she is tired or not hungry, then I pump, put it straight into a bottle and bring along the morning feeding since she is usually hungry soon after. She goes to my mom's so its no big deal. Then I pump three times at work and she usually eats three bottles during the day, so I bring those in refridgerated bags. Once your LO is here, you will get a feel for how to make things work. Good luck!
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options

With both my kids, I nurse before work in the morning. At certain ages, sometimes it was twice before work (say around 4 AM then again around 7 AM).

My rule of thumb has always been this...send today what I pumped yesterday.  My freezer stash was NOT for regular sends to daycare/childcare.  It was for: I'm going out of town for several days or I left the milk sitting out and it's spoiled (oopsss!) or god forbid...something happens and I can't nurse for a while.

As a mom who's BF (and still is BF) two kids while working full time, my advice is NURSE before work...a baby is so much more efficient than a pump.  I nursed my first for 15 months, having returned to work when she was 3 months and with #2, I returned to work when he was 4 months and am still nursing (although I dropped my regular during the work day pumping sessions as he is transitioned to regular milk during the day).  I have many posts with tips on BF/pumping - just look them up.

• Options

today is my fourth day back at work, so I'm still trying to get into a routine.  But, I've been feeding LO before leaving the house.  What worked really well one day was feeding him, then pumping handsfree while I got ready.  I was afraid I was a couple of ounces short for the day, so I was able to put that pumping with the bottles I had prepared for the day.  Then, I pump 3 times at work and feed as soon as I get home.

I make my bottles as I pump at work.  So, I take three empty bottles and a cooler large enough to hold the three bottles.  I dump what I pump at each session into a new bottle.  That way, all I have to do when I get home is put the 3 bottles in the fridge for the next day.  On Friday, I don't make bottles, and instead put the pumped milk into bags that go into the freezer when I get home.  On Monday, I either make bottles out of what I've pumped over the weekend (if I've been ambitious) or I pull from the freezer.

My freezer stash is intended for overnight trips (if we ever decide to take one) or emergency situations.  And, it's not a large stash.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"