Northern California Babies
Options

Do let DC eat in the Grocery Store?

I try to time shopping so it's not an issue but if Andrew is really wanting something that I can easily still pay for, so not fruit, then I let him eat it.  So today he eat a fruit leather and a cheese stick(sold individually) and I made sure the checker knew so we could pay for it.  I got a very snotty thank you and could tell that she did not approve. 

I know at Trader Joe's there philosophy is you're paying for it so do whatever you want, and I agree.  Maybe corporate giant Safeway has gotten ripped off too many times.

Made me wonder what do you do?

Re: Do let DC eat in the Grocery Store?

• Options
    I try not to, but yesterday at TJs I let Natalie eat a banana...I only let her eat it because I knew I could still get charged for it since they charge per banana.  The checker didn't seem to care at all.
  • Options
    I let her eat it. I'm buying it, right? I say "eat away".
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I start at the deli and they always give Ty a couple slice of cheese. That lasts him a long time and he's happy. We typically shop at Safeway, but our local Safeway is a bit out of the norm. It's a little slice out of an alien old person world. If you haven't been, it's a "unique" experience to say the least. I always figure the clerks are so happy to see someone under the age of 70 so they treat us well.
  • Options
    I try not to, but have and have never gotten any attitude for it. What did she care? you were paying for the items. Ugh.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I always let her eat something - whether it be crackers, or part of a roll (since they charge per roll).I really don't feel bad about letting my daughter eat, because 1. it keeps me sane and 2. I pay and 3. don't think I'm hurting anybody.

*Sometimes, when I'm starving, I'll open a bag of chips and start eating too* Hangs head in shame. 

• Options

No, I bring their snacks with us.

Taya 9.20.05 * Marlena 10.4.07 * Armando 11.3.93
  • Options
    I let her eat. I was thinking this the other day. She was crabby and I had to get some grocery shopping in. I was buying some snacks, and let her eat one out of the package. I also figure, "im buying it..it's mine" lol I didn't get any attitude though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagetitantsmama:
    I start at the deli and they always give Ty a couple slice of cheese. That lasts him a long time and he's happy. We typically shop at Safeway, but our local Safeway is a bit out of the norm. It's a little slice out of an alien old person world. If you haven't been, it's a "unique" experience to say the least. I always figure the clerks are so happy to see someone under the age of 70 so they treat us well.

Interestingly enough I have been to your Safeway.  After my mom got out of Stanford the last time she was right across the street in a rehab hospital.  They too gave Andrew cheese , I had asked for 3 slices and the kid asked if it was for him and said "ah here ya go".  Doesn't happen at my safeway.  A was the hit of the store, I think I went every day she was there because she hated her food and they were so enamored.  I bet you guys are royalty around that joint :)

• Options

imageMrsJulieT:
    I always take food with me to the store. If I don't have food on me I'll go get him a free cookie (it's happened once to date). I feel really weird about opening food and letting him eat it before it's paid for. I was never allowed to as a child so maybe that's where I get it from.

I wasn't allowed to either and I guess that's my residual guilt about it.  My mom worked PT at Safeway too though so we were always on best behavior.  I try to bring snacks but now that I've got to get 2 of the out the door I find myself forgetting A LOT :(

• Options
    No. When I go, the kids get frustrated with all of the good looking food. While I let them pick out fruit for the week, I make the experience a lesson on shopping and say, "It isn't ours until we pay for it. We are picking it out and then we go and pay for it." So now that they have the hang of it, they know that they will get it later.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I do at Tjs the grapes come in a container and he begs to eat them, so I let him. I do the same with the bananas if he is REALLY asking for it. I pay for it so I figure keep him happy.

• Options
    I try to remember to bring snacks, but usually she sees me putting the string cheese in the cart and wants some.  I always let her since she's been so picky about eating.  I'm just happy she's asking for cheese!  Besides, it's not like they charge by the weight.  It's by the package.  I felt guilty the first few times, but by now, our checkers know us and I figure I'm buying the package.
  • Options

This is a sticky one for me...I can answer for you now what I will do...

I will not let MM eat anything that I have not already paid for; chances are I will bring him snacks and do what tiki said about explaining that it is not ours until we buy it.

The reason why I know this is how I will be, no ifs, ands, or buts....technically it is stealing.

Technically it is not stealing if you pay for it before you leave the store...but the reason why it is frowned upon, particluarly at places like Safeway and Lucky, is because frequently people don't pay for the items.  Or the item is forgotten and not paid for...still stealing.

As you all know I have a very strong sense of right and wrong when it comes to the law...and for me the "gray area" does not exist.  I think in terms of black and white...but that is just me and my personality. 

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsJulieT:

imagetiki_t:
    No. When I go, the kids get frustrated with all of the good looking food. While I let them pick out fruit for the week, I make the experience a lesson on shopping and say, "It isn't ours until we pay for it. We are picking it out and then we go and pay for it." So now that they have the hang of it, they know that they will get it later.

I use that line with Ryan too in all stores. For example we bought new sippies today at BRU. He wanted one open right then and there and I said that exact line, "It's not ours until we pay for it. You can have it when we get home." Part of it is teaching him patients.

We do this too. He loves going to the store and helping put things into the cart.  But whenever he wants to eat something, we always say "nope, we haven't paid for it yet.  We have to wait until we go through the check-out line."  It works most of the time.  If he's pitching a fit, I'll pull out snacks from the diaper bag (we almost always have at least Cheerios in there).

• Options

I would let him eat if it was something not sold by weight.  I'm lucky -- DS doesn't want food at the grocery store -- he wants balloons.  Can't get through the store (TJ's or safeway) without a balloon in tow.

• Options
    I dont let G eat at the store unless it is a free sample. If i think he'll be hungry when we go I feed him before we go. I feel the same way about food as pacification as I do about food as reward. And I mean that in the most respectful and non-judgemental way possible.
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options
    Usually I bring a bunch of snacks from home because the boys can be picky. Otherwise, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
  • Options
    I don't really think it's pacifying -- I think when they get in the store, surrounded by food, they think about food, and that makes them want food. My trips do usually coincide with snack time, so I try to make a bee line for the samples at TJs.  Ryan has been known to rip open a banana more than once though.
  • Options

I have to say that I often eat in the grocery store!

Or at least drink a juice or something.. esp at TJs!  

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options

Interesting discussion, especially that so many of you are against it.  I eat just about every time I'm at the grocery store, and have my entire life.  So of course, my kids do as well.  When possible, we limit it to samples and the freebies (Kids Club at Whole Foods and similar at other stores with a little piggy bank where you put a quarter inside and then can take an orange, banana, or raisins).  When there are no samples or kids corner, then we'll eat a banana and pay for it at the checkout.  Almost every time we go to the grocery store, my two year old has a single of string cheese.  There is a box out at our grocery store, and we just have them scan the empty package at checkout.

I don't even see it as pacification - to me, it's part of the fun of grocery shopping - for me and the kids.

• Options
    imagePKW:

I will not let MM eat anything that I have not already paid for; chances are I will bring him snacks and do what tiki said about explaining that it is not ours until we buy it.

The reason why I know this is how I will be, no ifs, ands, or buts....technically it is stealing.

Technically it is not stealing if you pay for it before you leave the store...but the reason why it is frowned upon, particluarly at places like Safeway and Lucky, is because frequently people don't pay for the items.  Or the item is forgotten and not paid for...still stealing.

As you all know I have a very strong sense of right and wrong when it comes to the law...and for me the "gray area" does not exist.  I think in terms of black and white...but that is just me and my personality. 

While I understand your point there is no gray area at all if you have every intention of and do pay for said items.  I did in fact explain to him that we were saving the wrapper so we could tell the checker he eat it so we could pay for it. I know full well that the stores often get screwed and alluded to that as the reason in my op, but I don't think that is cause for someone who handles it correctly to be treated snottily.

Strong sense of right or wrong aside K, sometimes you come across like a sanctamonious ***.

• Options

imageKellyMRocks:
    I dont let G eat at the store unless it is a free sample. If i think he'll be hungry when we go I feed him before we go. I feel the same way about food as pacification as I do about food as reward. And I mean that in the most respectful and non-judgemental way possible.

I totally understand.  Like someone else posted Andrew is one of those kids that rarely eats anything so if he's willing to eat a cheese stick I'm going to give it to him.  We recently went a full week without him eating a single item of food, only his 3 glasses of milk a day :(

• Options

imagetiki_t:

We do a lot of this also.  Andrew knows when we get to the checkout that if he's holding something he has to give it up to pay for it.  Also he'd love to eat an apple but I explain that they weigh the apples so we cant' eat them or they don't know how much we should pay.  I guess I just don't feel the same way about items that are obviously payable.

• Options

imageCelyn:
    I don't really think it's pacifying -- I think when they get in the store, surrounded by food, they think about food, and that makes them want food. My trips do usually coincide with snack time, so I try to make a bee line for the samples at TJs.  Ryan has been known to rip open a banana more than once though.

You put it better than I.  With breakfast, snack, nap, snack, dinner and two naps for brother it's tough for me to always avoid the store around a time he might be hungry.

• Options
    imagejsugrin:
    imagePKW:

Technically it is not stealing if you pay for it before you leave the store...but the reason why it is frowned upon, particularly at places like Safeway and Lucky, is because frequently people don't pay for the items.  Or the item is forgotten and not paid for...still stealing.

While I understand your point there is no gray area at all if you have every intention of and do pay for said items.  I did in fact explain to him that we were saving the wrapper so we could tell the checker he eat it so we could pay for it. I know full well that the stores often get screwed and alluded to that as the reason in my op, but I don't think that is cause for someone who handles it correctly to be treated snottily.

Strong sense of right or wrong aside K, sometimes you come across like a sanctamonious ***.

I did not say that what others did was wrong.  I said that *I* do not do it because TO ME *I* perceive it as wrong for ME to do because it follows too closely along with stealing in MY personal uses of the term.

I explained why is is technically  wrong and why it is technically OK and acceptable...therefore to me it is "gray area".  But since *I* do not use gray area in my decision making very often, I choose to go with the more strict of the rules. 

Kind of like how legally speaking when there are 2 conflicting laws they go with whichever is the more strict (ex. the federal law being more strict than the state law...then they state must adhere to the federal when at trial, etc). 

I was NOT making judgements about others and their choices.  So I am a bit annoyed that you feel it is OK to call me a b!tch and tell me what my meaning was when you clearly did not catch my meaning at all. 

When you make a post asking for what other people do and why...you are going to get people's actions and opinions...if you don't like them then ignore them...but telling someone they are a b!tch because you don't like their answer is just rude and disrespectful. 

• Options
    imagejsugrin:

imageKellyMRocks:

I totally understand.  Like someone else posted Andrew is one of those kids that rarely eats anything so if he's willing to eat a cheese stick I'm going to give it to him.  We recently went a full week without him eating a single item of food, only his 3 glasses of milk a day :(

If G was one of those kids, then I would probably pack snacks and if i forgot, then I would have no problem tearing into a cheese. Luckily that isn't an issue for us, so giving him food from the store *would* be about pacifying in our case.  And, I do think it is perfectly acceptable to eat the item in the store as long as you plan to pay

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options
    imagePKW:

.  So I am a bit annoyed that you feel it is OK to call me a b!tch and tell me what my meaning was when you clearly did not catch my meaning at all. 

When you make a post asking for what other people do and why...you are going to get people's actions and opinions...if you don't like them then ignore them...but telling someone they are a b!tch because you don't like their answer is just rude and disrespectful. 

Hmmm, I thought she was calling you an A$$. ;)

The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options
    imageKellyMRocks:
    imagePKW:

.  So I am a bit annoyed that you feel it is OK to call me a b!tch and tell me what my meaning was when you clearly did not catch my meaning at all. 

lol.  Then please replace all my uses of the word "b!tch" with "a$$"

• Options
    imagePKW:
    imageKellyMRocks:
    imagePKW:

I was calling you a b!tch and I didn't ask anyone why at all, I asked if other people let their kid eat at the store period.  Your meaning was clear as day, back pedal now if you want to but you very simply say "it's stealing", then you try to go on to explain how it's not really stealing but you are so strong in your sense of right and wrong that you do think it's stealing.  So if you think you can tell me you think that what I did is like stealing then yeah I think you sit on a very high horse with your head up it's ass.  I habit you've had for quite some time.  Recently you seemed to have been brought back to earth and become a bit more normal and less sanctamonious but frankly you act like you're the only one with a strong moral compass all the fvvcking time and it irritates me to no end.

I come from a long line of L.E., myself being the last in that line so I find your from on high crap to be way too much.

• Options
    imagejsugrin:
    imagePKW:
    imageKellyMRocks:
    imagePKW:

I was calling you a b!tch and I didn't ask anyone why at all, I asked if other people let their kid eat at the store period.  Your meaning was clear as day, back pedal now if you want to but you very simply say "it's stealing", then you try to go on to explain how it's not really stealing but you are so strong in your sense of right and wrong that you do think it's stealing.  So if you think you can tell me you think that what I did is like stealing then yeah I think you sit on a very high horse with your head up it's ass.  I habit you've had for quite some time.  Recently you seemed to have been brought back to earth and become a bit more normal and less sanctamonious but frankly you act like you're the only one with a strong moral compass all the fvvcking time and it irritates me to no end.

I come from a long line of L.E., myself being the last in that line so I find your from on high crap to be way too much.

You are entitled to think anything you like about me and I really think that is just fine and dandy.  You are welcome to interpret my words however you wish.  I am not going to fight with you. 

• Options
    I love the grocery store (and so does my LO).  Although it certainly doesn't always happen, I try my best to go when we aren't rushed and it isn't crowded.  And you better believe we either take advantage of the free samples or share a snack as we are wandering the aisles.  We always pay for whatever we eat and it has never once been an issue.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I eat and drink in the grocery store if I'm hungry. Usually i eat a power bar or an ice cream cookie sandwich and I save the wrapper and they charge me up front. No one has ever given me a dirty look or complained. Whatev, people have issues, as long as you pay for it. 

ETA: It is not stealing until you leave the store, even if you are stashing the food under your shirt and in your panties.  

• Options
    imageamyfelice:

I eat and drink in the grocery store if I'm hungry. Usually i eat a power bar or an ice cream cookie sandwich and I save the wrapper and they charge me up front. No one has ever given me a dirty look or complained. Whatev, people have issues, as long as you pay for it. 

ETA: It is not stealing until you leave the store, even if you are stashing the food under your shirt and in your panties.  

OMG that last part cracked me up!  I just picture a few candy bars sticking out your shirt, pulling them out one by one at the checkout counter.

• Options
    imageamyfelice:

Panties are the perfect place to store a powerbar! Though, it might cause a melty and sticky situation with an ice cream cookie sandwich.

The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options
    I dont - this is why; one time I went there. was grocery shopping, let K eat something and then realized I was there without my debit card!! I had to ditch the whole cart and ended up basically stealing the food. SO?embarrassing!! I came back literally minutes later but i was still?embarrassed.?Our trips are quick - and eating in the store isnt an option. When we get out to the car thats a different story.
  • Options

i hate when i post before i read everything .... ::sigh::?

• Options

imageMrsEmm:
    I dont - this is why; one time I went there. was grocery shopping, let K eat something and then realized I was there without my debit card!! I had to ditch the whole cart and ended up basically stealing the food. SO embarrassing!! I came back literally minutes later but i was still embarrassed. Our trips are quick - and eating in the store isnt an option. When we get out to the car thats a different story.

This is good to remember. I guess make sure you have your payment method ready before eating in the store!  

• Options

imageMrsEmm:
    I dont - this is why; one time I went there. was grocery shopping, let K eat something and then realized I was there without my debit card!! I had to ditch the whole cart and ended up basically stealing the food. SO embarrassing!! I came back literally minutes later but i was still embarrassed. Our trips are quick - and eating in the store isnt an option. When we get out to the car thats a different story.

OMG. I am the worst at forgetting my debit card (at home or in the car)! I am not allowed to eat/drink anything at the store for this exact reason.. I picked up a water while pregnant because I was dying of thirst then realized I had left my purse at home.. I tracked down a manager explained the situation.. gave him my cell phone number and booked it home to get my wallet. The manager was great about it, but I'm sure in the back of his head he was thinking "what a crazy lady!!"

• Options

Amyfelice - was wegmans in Ithaca when you were there?

That store was the BEST! One of the greatest things was the produce aisle and the candy section! Anyway, at the greatest grocery store on earth (aka Wegmans, aka the only reason i would stay living in Ithaca) you printed out your own sitckers for all the produce. so technically, i could go in, grab an apple, weight it, print a sticker for it, then eat it while I shopped. Same with candy. It rocked. At since I was lonely and bored my year in Ithaca, and the grocery store was always warm... I often ate and wandered the store.

And I have to add that its so odd to hear that LE thinks of the law as having no gray area... b/c from my perspective (living with a family of lawyers) the law is ALL gray area. I'm sure my husband and other lawyers would say something about intent in this discussion. Although, also knowing my husband (who also eats in the grocery store) he would argue against me on this subject just to argue and make me mad. 

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    imagem&m818:

imageMrsEmm:
    I dont - this is why; one time I went there. was grocery shopping, let K eat something and then realized I was there without my debit card!! I had to ditch the whole cart and ended up basically stealing the food. SO?embarrassing!! I came back literally minutes later but i was still?embarrassed.?Our trips are quick - and eating in the store isnt an option. When we get out to the car thats a different story.

OMG. I am the worst at forgetting my debit card (at home or in the car)! I am not allowed to eat/drink anything at the store for this exact reason.. I picked up a water while pregnant because I was dying of thirst then realized I had left my purse at home.. I tracked down a manager explained the situation.. gave him my cell phone number and booked it home to get my wallet. The manager was great about it, but I'm sure in the back of his head he was thinking "what a crazy lady!!"

LOL! Wow - paged the manager! Sounds like you have a stronger moral compass than I have ! ?;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"