Pregnant after a Loss

Couldn't find HB and freaking out....

I just came back from my 12 week appt and my dr couldn't find the heartbeat!! We were at a satellite office so he didn't have access to an ultrasound today. He said that it was normal and could be several factors.

1. My heartbeat is overpowering the LO's. 2. The LO is moving around too much and we can't catch up. 3. My uterus is titled towards my back so it's harder to hear.

Has anyone had this happen to them? He scheduled me for an ultrasound on Wednesday to check everything out but that's a long time from now. Crying

Re: Couldn't find HB and freaking out....

• BOO to hidden HB! I hope it just that your LO is playing hid and seek and is really good at it already. This hasn't happen to me yet ( I have never made it to 12 weeks for a Doppler to be used) but I have seen it happen and with GOOD turn outs. Try to stay positive, I be thinking of you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• they couldn't find my baby's hb at 12w either - they sent me for a u/s and it came up right away and everything is fine. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • At my 12 weeks/1 day appointment I asked if we could hear the h/b because I hadn't seen the baby or the hb since my RE's office which was at 8 weeks/ 5 days.  He understood my anxiety, but said that it may be very hard to find, that he never checks before 14 weeks for that reason, but would try to since I asked.  He also said that due to my very retroverted uterus, he may not find it.  And I remember he also said not to worry if he didn't.   I will tell you this, he had to put a lot of pressure on my abdomen and after several minutes he was able to locate it. 

I think what your OB told you sounds exactly right.  Hang in there.  Less than 48 hours away from your u/s.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At my 12 week appt. the doc. had a hard time finding the HB. But while she was looking she said she was comfortable if she didn't find it because she could hear the fetal movement and baby was all squirmy.

It sounds like you heard movement, right? If so take that as a little peace of mind to hold you until Wednesday.

• This happened to me this pregnancy too. They couldn't find the heartbeat and the doctor brought the ultrasound machine in and found it right away. Turns out my uterus is tipped backwards and my pubic bone was in the way. Good luck, I'll be thinking about you.
  • Thanks for all your well wishes and knowing that several others have had the same issue is comforting. I'm feeling better now and and I was looking online at the dopplers and noticed that the one my DR used is older than dirt!!! It reminded me of an old 50's style radio with something that looked like an old microphone attached to it with a headset jack, lol! That might also have been the problem. I think the sat. office needs to upgrade!!! Yes
  • Oh, don't worry! It's really common at that point. My h/b was totally overpowering my LO's at my 10.5 wk b/c I was so nervous. My OB said she'd had someone come in and they couldn't find the h/b at 14 wks b/c the baby was in a weird position. Sooo sorry you have to wait until Wednesday, though. I'm sure everything will be fine!
  • This happened to me with my first pg and i'm sorry to say the outcome wasn't good. I hope that's not the case with you. Everything else the pp's have said is also common and everything turns out great!

Good Luck! 

• ((hugs)) I am sure you are super scared. I hope this is just a scare. I can tell you that my baby runs away from the doppler. There were times last week when I could only hear it for about 10 seconds and then lost it again. Even last night it took me almost 5 minutes to find the HB. I am wondering if you OB tried a different doppler too? Maybe the one he was using wasn't working properly.

I am saying prayers for a great u/s for you!

Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • 12w is fairly early to hear a hb on a doppler. My doctor doesn't try until 14w and when he first tried with me at 15w he even warned me that it could still be early if the baby hides from the doppler or is moving too fast. We found it easily at 15w but before that it's not uncommon to not hear the hb.  Good luck with the u/s.  Wed will be here soon!! ((hugs))
    After 2 m/cs, dx October 2008 with hetero factor v leiden & mthfr & low progesterone; third time was the charm - BFP 3/19/09 on first cycle of clomid. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"