Houston Babies
Options

Birth control ?

I have heard that you can't take birth control pills while your breastfeeding.

Is this true? If so then what do you use for birth control?

Re: Birth control ?

• Options
    You can take the mini-pill which is progesterone only pill. I never took it but I bet some of the ladies on her did.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on the mini pill this time around. I didn't take anything last time which is why I have 2 under 2.
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAggieKristin:
    You can take the mini-pill which is progesterone only pill. I never took it but I bet some of the ladies on her did.

Ditto this.  you can take it - but you have to have a special kind.  Your obgyn will prob. recommend something at your 6 week pp checkup.  Make sure to tell them you are BFing.

A baby just coming out of your hoo-ha should be your BC for the 1st 6 weeks.  Wink

• Options

imageCindyandScott:
    I'm on the mini pill this time around. I didn't take anything last time which is why I have 2 under 2.

I have never heard of the mini pill. I am assuming it is close to the birth control pill.

I am going to be doing permanent birth control but I can't do until I am 8 weeks postpartum and do not want to have another baby!

• Options
    imageCareBear01:

imageAggieKristin:

Ditto this.  you can take it - but you have to have a special kind.  Your obgyn will prob. recommend something at your 6 week pp checkup.  Make sure to tell them you are BFing.

A baby just coming out of your hoo-ha should be your BC for the 1st 6 weeks.  Wink

LOL!!  Although he came out of my tummy!!  But....we are done having kiddos so I am doing something  permanent.

• Options
    It will depend on your doctor.  Mine won't put you on anything while you are nursing.  We have been using good ol' condoms.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you are getting something permanent done and super soon, I wouldn't worry about getting on a pill.  You aren't supposed to be "active" until 6 weeks pp, and most people aren't as active those first few months anyway.  I would probably just use a condom and lubricant, if I were you.  Otherwise, I think the options are pretty much mini-pill (Progesterone only Pill or POP) or IUD.  I don't think it's worth getting an IUD if you are doing permanent measures soon.  My OB believes the mini-pill is very safe and even good for supply.  I took it for awhile with DS and had no problems, but you should set an alarm to take it, as you really do need to take it the same time every day (and supposedly around 4 hours before you would most likely have intercourse).  Some people do report problems with supply, but I'm not sure how common it is.  I know at least one person's OB on here does not prescribe it, but I think most OBs do.

ETA - I now remember it was Charlotte whose OB doesn't prescribe it (after seeing her reply) :) 

• Options
    imageapril16:
    imageCareBear01:

imageAggieKristin:

LOL!!  Although he came out of my tummy!!  But....we are done having kiddos so I am doing something  permanent.

Ah, I see.  I was thinking - man, she must be healing fast to even be thinking about it!  lol.

• Options

Are you getting your tubes tied?  If so, why didn't your doc do it after your c-sec?  That is when mine got done since I was already on the operating table.

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options
    imageTexasHarmony:

Are you getting your tubes tied?  If so, why didn't your doc do it after your c-sec?  That is when mine got done since I was already on the operating table.

I am doing essure. It is less painful and cheaper. I have already discussed this with mr dr and decided this is what is best for me.

• Options
    imageCareBear01:
    imageapril16:
    imageCareBear01:

imageAggieKristin:

Oh gosh....the thought of getting it on right now makes my incision hurt!

Ah, I see.  I was thinking - man, she must be healing fast to even be thinking about it!  lol.

• Options

Is Essure the coil thing?  My cousin is looking into doing that.  Let me know how it goes.

Good luck! 

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options
    imageapril16:
    imageTexasHarmony:

I am doing essure. It is less painful and cheaper. I have already discussed this with mr dr and decided this is what is best for me.

I have never heard of that.  What a nice option.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTexasHarmony:

Is Essure the coil thing?  My cousin is looking into doing that.  Let me know how it goes.

Good luck! 

It is...check out essure.com. I will let you know how it goes.

• Options

i took the lo-hormone pill while I BFed.  I agree with a PP, if you're getting permanent birth control at 8 weeks post pardum, then I wouldn't even worry about it. 

If you're wanting to get it on with DH before then, well good for you, I know I sure didn't want to. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemissjake:

i took the lo-hormone pill while I BFed.  I agree with a PP, if you're getting permanent birth control at 8 weeks post pardum, then I wouldn't even worry about it. 

If you're wanting to get it on with DH before then, well good for you, I know I sure didn't want to. 

Not sure how I will feel but I don't want to accidently get pregnant and I will probably not be able to have the procedure done until Christmas break while I am out of school. I just don't want to chance it.

Also, my dr. said you should use back up birth control as they check you by doing a dye test to make sure the procedure took and that takes 8 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"