Austin Babies

Who can tell me about breech babies & external versions?

So I found out this morning that the baby is breech, which didn't strike me as a big deal until the doctor started talking about external versions & C-sections.  I guess it just hasn't hit me yet that 35 weeks is pretty darned close to having a baby.

I asked the doc the appropriate medical questions, so I feel like I know the "official" risks/benefits of all the options, but I was wondering if any of you have personal experience.  Was your baby breech?  When did it turn (if it did)?  Did they try to turn it?  Did that hurt?  Anything else you'd like to share would be nice to know, too.  And some ***turn, baby, turn*** dust wouldn't hurt, if you happen to have some to spare.  :) 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Who can tell me about breech babies & external versions?

• I have never been pg, but I do know a midwife who has worked with a lot of women with breech babies and she suggests a homeopathic remedy.  She says it has worked 9 times out of 10 in turning the baby, and 35 weeks is a good time to take it (although you could do before or after).  It's called pulsatilla and she recommends a dose of 200cc.  She hasn't had to do an external version with anyone that has done the pulsatilla and practically swears by it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are supposedly different things you can do to "encourage" the baby to turn. Check out spinningbabies.com or breechbabies.com.

Other things I've heard that can help: accupuncture and chiropractic (webster technique). Playing music to your vag. DH talks to vag. Spending a lot of time in downward-dog (but on your knees, not your feet) to. Putting cold things where you don't want baby's head and warm things where you do want baby's head. And burning some kind of herb (?) called mugwort next to your pinky toe. I kid you not.

GL!

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagerssnlvr:

And burning some kind of herb (?) called mugwort next to your pinky toe. I kid you not.

Mugwort sounds like something out of Harry Potter.  In fact, it probably does appear in Harry Potter somewhere...  I should pull out one of the books when I try that one.

DH comes home from a business trip tonight.  I'll tell him he has to start singing to my vag as soon as he's unpacked.  :D

Seriously, thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll give 'em a try.  The midwife I saw today already suggested lying head-down on a slanted ironing board several times a day, which I'm going to try, but somehow I don't see it happening as regularly as she recommended with a two-year-old running around the house...

I know there's still plenty of time, and I know it's not a huge deal if the baby doesn't turn.  Our hospital rocks, and I'd totally trust them to do a C if it becomes necessary.  But I really enjoyed labor last time.  ::sniff::  I was looking forward to doing it again.  Truly.

• I can tell this baby is still breech (DD was so obviously head down the entire pregnancy) I had asked for experiences, so here was my post. Some inspirational, some are "well drats!" but all good info. I defintely plan on trying a few things before I'll schedule a C-Section. It's still major surgery, it still has risks for me and de bebe and I'd rather not have the recovery of course.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageTaytee:
    I can tell this baby is still breech (DD was so obviously head down the entire pregnancy) I had asked for experiences, so here was my post. Some inspirational, some are "well drats!" but all good info. I defintely plan on trying a few things before I'll schedule a C-Section. It's still major surgery, it still has risks for me and de bebe and I'd rather not have the recovery of course.

Exactly.  If it comes to that, then it does, but I'm really not into the idea of a major invasive procedure if it can be avoided somehow.

Thanks for sharing your post! 

• My baby was breech for a very long time.  We talked about having a c-sect if he did not turn.  He did finally turn on his own...at 36 weeks we went in and had an ultra that let us know.  We didn't try anything to try and turn it.  My doc said if he didn't turn, she could try and turn him, but it was up to me. 

In the end I did end up having a c-section, but that was because he then did not face the correct way (even though he was no longer breech).

I would not stress about it.  Chances are your baby will turn on his own.  And I personally did not find the c-sect to be that bad.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"