Pregnant after a Loss

Thoughts on my progesterone level?

So, my doctor called on Friday with my beta information (I asked her to leave a detailed voicemail so I could get the good/bad news with DH after work). She said everything was great and that my numbers had doubled, so she'd plan on seeing me at 6w for an early u/s. Great.

But I wanted to know the exact numbers (yes, to obsess a bit and to Google, of course), so she I just got off the phone with her.

My beta was 390 at approx 14dpo; 1,053 at approx 16dpo. BUT, my progesterone was 16, then 14. She was not at all concerned and said that anything under 5 was a sign that the pregnancy wouldn't make it, anything over that was good.

Um, I know I've seen girls on here with progesterone of like 50+. Plus, the information I've seen online (thanks, Dr. Google) says that progesterone should increase throughout the pregnancy. Mine dropped 2 ng/ml in 2 days.

Should I call her back and ask for progesterone supplements?? I'm really nervous...

Re: Thoughts on my progesterone level?

• I've heard several different things about progesterone, but one thing I think is for certain, is that it will fluctuate throughout pregnancy, and even during the day. So I wouldn't worry about the slight drop. Mine was 17.9 or something at 17 dpo, and my dr. was fine with it. We'll find out for sure at my u/s tomorrow though.
    missed miscarriage began 04/08, ended 07/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • sgrlsgrl member

The cut-off for progesterone supplements at my doctor is 15. I was at 14.8 my first draw, so he put me on the supplements. However, I don't know if he would have had me tested again if I'd been at 16 on the first draw - and I will tell you that my levels fluctuated all through my first trimester. After that inital draw, my highest level was 33.6 (at 6 weeks pregnant) and the lowest was 24.8 (8 weeks pregnant). I had my last blood draw at 12.5 weeks pregnant. My doctor wasn't worried at all about the fluctuation.

Best of luck to you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • So here my question for you Did you eat before the first test and not the second? Or the other way around. If you did this could be why you had the drop. I would ask her to re-check your progesterone in a few days to see if it is really going down or if its just a normal fluctuation. A point one way or the other isn't a big deal. More than that I would worry. Progesterone is not like HcG it goes up but not in a linear pattern. It kinda does what temps do. One day/ hour it a few points up then next a few points down but over all goes in the up. (I hope I helped and didn't make this more confusing)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageWearingRed:
    So here my question for you Did you eat before the first test and not the second? Or the other way around. If you did this could be why you had the drop. I would ask her to re-check your progesterone in a few days to see if it is really going down or if its just a normal fluctuation. A point one way or the other isn't a big deal. More than that I would worry. Progesterone is not like HcG it goes up but not in a linear pattern. It kinda does what temps do. One day/ hour it a few points up then next a few points down but over all goes in the up. (I hope I helped and didn't make this more confusing)

Thanks Red! I don't quite remember if I ate or not last Tuesday, but I know I was STARVING Thursday before the draw. Like, ready to gnaw off my hand if they didn't hurry so I could eat. So maybe that was it?

I'm seeing my doc next Wednesday...maybe I'll ask her to retest even if the baby looks ok?

• By the way, is there any harm on putting someone on progesterone supplements if they don't "need" it? If not, I wish my doc would err on the side of caution and just put me on them to be safe. Grr.
  • Mine was 12 ( I think) around 5 weeks and I'm now 21weeks along. Try not to worry. I OBSESSED about it but there was never any issue. If you are uneasy, do tell her and see if she can reassure you. Sometimes I just need the doc to weigh in and I feel better.

• imagesurfergirl28:
    By the way, is there any harm on putting someone on progesterone supplements if they don't "need" it? If not, I wish my doc would err on the side of caution and just put me on them to be safe. Grr.

The verdict is still out on this. Some studies show it could be harmful but most say it's ok. But Why would you want to be on something you don't need. Especially a supplement that makes you feel like CRAP, and make it so you can't think straight half the time (or at least that is my experience on this stuff).

• Unlike betas, which should never go down, progesterone can fluctuate with a healthy pregnancy.  So I would TRY not to worry.  However, I would ask for an Rx for progesterone, since it can't hurt, it may help and it sounds like it would ease your mind. 

Edited to add: My RE says no harm in taking progesterone supp in early pg.

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imageWearingRed:

imagesurfergirl28:
    By the way, is there any harm on putting someone on progesterone supplements if they don't "need" it? If not, I wish my doc would err on the side of caution and just put me on them to be safe. Grr.

The verdict is still out on this. Some studies show it could be harmful but most say it's ok. But Why would you want to be on something you don't need. Especially a supplement that makes you feel like CRAP, and make it so you can't think straight half the time (or at least that is my experience on this stuff).

This.  Plus I believe prometrium and similar drugs are class C drugs, which means they aren't proven to be safe in pregnancy.  If your levels are truely low, then the risks are worth it. I'd ask to be tested again in a few more days to see if your numbers are hanging out there or if they are falling.

After 2 m/cs, dx October 2008 with hetero factor v leiden & mthfr & low progesterone; third time was the charm - BFP 3/19/09 on first cycle of clomid. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageWearingRed:

imagesurfergirl28:

Because I'm not sure I DON'T need it, and would eat horseshiit if it meant I'd keep my baby. Stick out tongue

• imagesurfergirl28:
    imageWearingRed:

imagesurfergirl28:

Because I'm not sure I DON'T need it, and would eat horseshiit if it meant I'd keep my baby. Stick out tongue

Surprise  LOL!!!!!!! Really I would just ask your Doc to re-test and go off that to figure out what is needed. ::HUGS::

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"