Attachment Parenting

Bedsharing & Napping Alone?

I've shared the bed with DS since the hospital and wouldn't change it for a thing.  I'm a huge advocate of it and am planning on continuing until DS wants to sleep in his big boy room (I don't plan on trying for another baby until DS starts Kindergarten and am quite honestly not pushing him to his own bed until he starts school).

But I would love for him to nap alone!  I've tried the bouncy seat, swing, walking with him in the sling until he falls asleep and then lay him down only to have him wake right back up.  I've tried to let him fall asleep comfort nursing and then lay him in the PNP (which was a waste of money as far as I'm concerned - he won't lay in it) where he wakes back up.  I've tried to lay down with him in our bed until he falls asleep and then get up only to have him wake up to.  Sometimes (and I'm talking maybe a total of 5) he will lay and sleep for 30-60mins.  

My son is a "lap-baby" and that's fine by me I just wish he could take naps without being in my lap or without me being in bed next to him.  I work from home so it's not a huge problem but I would love to sneak away for a hot bath while he was napping in the next room.

Any tips?

Re: Bedsharing & Napping Alone?

• I'm not much help, in fact, I am looking for the same advice myself.  I can get DS to bed great at night and move him to the PNP, but during the day, DH (a SAHD) cannot get him to nap for anything.  The only way he can do it is to hold him, and the minute he moves, DS wakes up.  The only think I can do on weekends is lay with him while he sleeps. 

HELP!!

• I snuggle DS to sleep in our bed for naps.  He naps really well there.  I can leave him and do stuff around the house.  If I try to move him to his pnp or crib, the nap doesn't normally last more than 20 minutes.

DH is also a SAHD and he uses the swing to get DS to sleep.  DS will sometimes cry but DH stays right there with him and never lets him go more than a few minutes.  If he fusses longer than that than DH takes him out and tries again later.  Unfortunately, this is the only way he will nap for DH and he needs to nap while I am at work!  We are scared about when he outgrows the swing.

• Loading the player...
  • it gets better, for now, heat a towel in the microwave and wrap it in one of your (dirty) shirts so it has your smell. lay it near him when he naps.
  • DS wouldn't sleep by himself until 4 months. I started putting him in the swing or PNP for his naps, and he wouldn't wake up right away, but never napped longer than 30 min on his own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"