Working Moms

Did you buy or rent a breast pump?

My insurance company covers electric breast pumps that I would rent but from what I am hearing they are not the same ones that would be portable to use while at work.  Did you buy one for work or just pump at night with a rental for milk while LO is at daycare? I don't know if I should register for one since I already have some high priced items on my registry.

Re: Did you buy or rent a breast pump?

• I bought mine.  The rental pumps are usually a bit heavier than the "working mom" type pumps that come in a bag, like the medela pump in style.  I know someone who used a rental at work for many months though.  If your insurance covers it, I say go for the rental!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bought.

What is your pumping room situation at work going to be? If it's a place where you could secure the rental and just leave it each day, renting may not be as big a deal.  But if you are carrying it back and forth, buying may be lighter/easier to carry.

Also check if your insurance will cover you buying one if they'll cover you renting one.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My rental pump was portable - I had to carry it with my while my daughter was in the NICU and it was fine to carry around.  Not quite as cute as the ones that you can get nice bags for to carry to work but I stuck it in a tote bag and that worked fine.  Unlike the ones you buy, it can't run without a plug.  Fortunately the kit that works with it is also a manual pump so if I couldn't find a plug, I used the hand pump. 
  • We bought mine. The rental one from the hospital was so big and heavy. The box looked like I was carrying a bomb into work. We bought a Lansinoh double breastpump. It was inexpensive and worked great. I would put a breat pump on your regisrty to see if anyone gets it for you.
  • Definitely look into your insurance purchasing the pump for you.  My lactation consultant in the hospital basically wrote a "prescription" for it and initially, due to miscommunication, they wanted to give me a rental but then gave me a Medela Pump In Style shoulder bag.  I found out by accident that my insurance covers $1500/year for medical equipment.
  • My sister lent me hers - Medela PIS.  If you plan to only give bm, then you are going to have to pump during the day.  Your supply will not keep up with the baby if you only pump at night.  I pumped 3X's a day at work (every 3 hours or so).  You need to mimic when she would nurse.  If you can leave your pump at work and just bring it home on the weekends, then I would do the rental otherwise it is probably worth it to buy an electric pump.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"