Preemies

BF/Reflux question

hi everyone- just wanted to run something by you guys- i have a call into the dr but  was just curious in the meantime:

i have a 2 week old, born at 36 weeks. at first he latched on reasonably well and the BF was going well. within the past few days, he's gotten very spastic with his feeds (he can't latch on because his head is going in ten different directions) and when he does finally latch on, he gulps and almost chokes...at the same time, he is also having a lot of reflux symptoms. has anyone had a baby with reflux that also starts to have BF problems? I am just wondering if the two are related. thanks!

Re: BF/Reflux question

• Could it be that your letdown is too forceful, now that your milk is probably fully in?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was thinking the same as PP. Maybe try pumping or hand expressing for a few mins before trying to BF? And my LO gets totally wild when she's hungry, head and mouth flailing and rooting around all over the place. I have to take her head in one hand and compress the nipple (almost folding/flattening some of it so it can fit in her mouth) to get a good latch on.
  • Loading the player...
  • When my guys were 12 days old my milk finally came in full force and the same thing was happening. The letdown was too forceful for them. I had to pump/hand express a little bit before I fed them for a couple of days. Then my supply regulated somewhat and it was better. They still struggle a bit when it has been longer between feedings.
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"