Adoption
Options

List of Parenting and Kids Adoption Books

I've been complaining about the lack of "relevant" adoption books I had found for Holden. A friend contacted a friend of hers and she sent me an exhaustive list that I thought I'd share. I know this topic comes up a lot. She said most are available at www.tapestrybooks.com if you can't find them elsewhere.

Children?s Books

Abby.  Jeanette Caines. Published in 1973, ages 2 to 8.

Adopted Like Me.  Jeffrey LaCure. Published in 1992, ages 2 to 9.

Adoption Is For Always.  Linda Walvoord Girard. Published in 1986, ages 4 to 12.

All Kinds of Families.  Norma Simon.  Published in 1976, ages 2 to 8.

Beginnings:  How Families Come to Be.  Virginia Kroll.  Published in 1993, ages 4 to 8.

Did My First Mother Love Me?  Kathryn Ann Miller. Published in 1994, ages 4 to 8.

Horace.  Holly Keller.  Published in 1991, ages 2 to 8.

How I Was Adopted.  Joanna Cole.  Published in 1995, ages 4 to 8.

The Little Green Goose.  Adele Sanson.  Published in 1999, ages 2 to 8.

A Mother for Choco.  Keiko Kasza. Published in 1992, ages 2 to 8.

One Wonderful You.  Francie Portnoy.  Published in 1997, ages 4 to 10.

Susan and Gordy Adopt a Baby.  Judy Freudberg and Tony Geiss.  Published in 1992, ages 2 to 8.

Twice Upon a Time:  Born and Adopted.  Eleanora Patterson.  Published in 1987, ages 4 to 10.

Two Birthdays for Beth.  Gay Lynn Cronin.  Published in 1995, ages 4 to 10.

International Adoption

Carolyn's Story:  A Book About an Adopted Girl.  Perry Schwartz.  Published in 1996, ages 4 to 10.

Dounia.  Natacha Karvoskaia. Published in 1995, ages 2 to 6.

Through Moon and Stars and Night Skies.  Ann Turner. Published in 1990, ages 2 to 8.

Inter-racial Adoption

Black, White, Just Right!  Marguerite Davol.  Published in 1993, ages 2 to 8.

Is That Your Sister?  Catherine and Sherry Bunin.  Published in 1992, ages 2 to 10.

Why am I Different?  Norma Simon.  Published in 1976, ages 2 to 8.

Biological And Adopted Siblings

William is My Brother.  Jane Schnitter.  Published in 1991, for ages 4 to 12.

Zoe and Columbo.  Susan Shreve.  Published in 1995, ages 7 to 12.

Open Adoption

Pugnose has Two Special Families.  Karis Kurzel.  Published in 1996, ages 2 to 6.

My Special Family:  A Children's Book About Open Adoption.  Kathleen Sibler and Debra Parelskin.       Published in 1993, ages 2 to 10.

Adopted Children Who Experienced Foster Care

Billy?s New Home: For Foster Children Everywhere.  Valerie Busic.  Published in 1997, ages 3 to 10.

A Forever Family:  A Book About Adoption.  Roslyn Banish and Jennifer Jordan-Wong.  Published in        1992, ages 4 to 12.

The Star: A Story to Help Young Children Understand Foster Care.  Cynthia Miller Lovell.  Published in 1999, ages 4 to 10.

Zachary's New Home:  A Story for Foster and Adopted Children.  Geraldine Blomquist and Paul      Blomquist.  Published in 1990, ages 2 to 10.

Adolescents and Teens

Coping With Being Adopted.  Shari Cohen.  Published in 1988.

Filling in the Blanks:  A Guided Look at Growing Up Adopted.  Susan Gabel.  Published in 1988.

How it Feels to be Adopted.  Jill Krementz.  Published in 1982.

Who Am I?  And Other Questions of Adopted Kids.  Charlene C. Giannetti.  Published in 1999.

Why Didn?t She Keep Me?  Answers to the Question Every Adopted Child Asks.  Barbara Burlingham-Brown.  Published in 1994.

Books for Parents and Professionals

Adopting the Hurt Child:  Hope for Families with Special-Needs Kids.  Gregory C. Keck and Regina M. Kupecky.  Published in 1998.

The Adoption Life Cycle:  The Children and Their Families Through the Years.  Elinor Rosenberg.           Published in 1992.

Being Adopted:  The Lifelong Search for Self.  David Brodzinsky.  Published in 1992.

Can This Child Be Saved?  Foster W. Cline and Cathy Helding.  Published in 1999.

The Challenging Child.  Stanley I. Greenspan.  Published in 1995.

A Child?s Journey Through Placement.  Vera I. Fahlberg.  Published in 1991.

The Explosive Child.  Ross W. Greene.  Published in 1998.

Handbook for Single Adoptive Parents.  Hope Marindin.  Published in 1992.

The Open Adoption Experience.  Lois Melina and Sharon Kaplan Roszia.  Published in 1993.

Our Own: Adopting and Parenting the Older Child.  Trish Maskew.  Published in 1999.

The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Integration Dysfunction.  Carol Stock Kranowitz.  Published in 1998.

Parenting With Love and Logic: Teaching Children Responsibility.  Foster Cline and Jim Fay.  Published in 1990.

Raising Adopted Children:  A Manual for Adoptive Parents.  Lois Melina.  Published in 1986.

Real Parents, Real Children:  Parenting an Adopted Child.  Holly van Gulden and Lisa Bartels-Rabb.  Published in 1993.

The Spirit of Open Adoption.  James L. Gritter.  Published in 1997.

Talking With Young Children About Adoption.  Mary Watkins and Susan Fisher.  Published in 1993.

Toddler Adoption: The Weaver?s Craft.  Mary Hopkins Best.  Published in 1997.

When Friends Ask About Adoption:  Question and Answer Guide for Non-Adoptive Parents and Other Caring Adults.  Linda Bothun.  Published in 1996.

Re: List of Parenting and Kids Adoption Books

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"