Baby Names
Options

? about Nolan

So we were at Target last night checking out and the cashier overhead my DH mention the name Nolan, which is the frontrunner for our baby boy as of now.  The cashier immdiately said, "Oh no, don't name him Nolan, that's an old man's name.  My name is Noah, and people sometimes call me Nolan, so I should know."  Ummm, okay.  We didn't ask you, but anyways...

Am I missing something?  Is Nolan an old man's name?  MN would be Ross, after my grandpa.  Nolan Ross.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ? about Nolan

• Options

Not any more than Henry being an old man's name, or Charlie, or Owen for that matter.

In other words, maybe 20 years ago it was an old man's name. Give me a break. 

Don't you love unsolicited advice?

My friend's little boy is Nolan, and he is adorable.

• Options

People would say the same thing when we were naming DS Jack.

I love the name Nolan - it's a handsome strong name!!! It was on our list if DC#2 was a boy.

Names come go and come back again

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I happen to love Nolan as it's what we're naming our LO if s/he's a boy. However, I'm all for that guy giving out that advice, as I don't want it to get super popular/trendy! lol. 100% selfish.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• Options
    I do not think of it as an old man's name at all. Even if it was-there are lots of "old man" names that I love!
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I think it is cute, and actually a great name b/c it is not too popular...so therefore great!  It was actually on our list for a while!  Go with your gut!
  • Options
    My nephew is Nolan Joshua and a friend of mine was going to name her new boy Nolan James (switched to Ryder James 'cause her DH didn't like Nolan.)  Since my nephew was born I've heard the name MANY times, I like it and I do NOT think that it sounds like an old man's name at all!  I've found that Nolan is one of those names that people really like or really don't like.  Not much in the middle.  Oh well, name your LO what YOU and your DH like, screw the nay-sayers!  =)
  • Options
    I don't think of it as an old mans name, but I've never met a Nolan before. I don't care for it though. Nolan just doesn't do anything for me. 
  • Options
    i like the name nolan!  my mom think it sounds nerdy, but whatever.
  • Options
    Umm, well it is the most popular that it has ever been right now, gaining popularity every year. ?It wasn't even in the top 1000 names in the 1890's and it was #131 last year. ?So no, it is much more current and trendy than old man. ?Its poised for even greater popularity, so if unusual is what you are going for, stay clear.?Here is a link to the SSA listing for Nolan so you can see the trends yourself...https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

There is the cutest little boy in my ds's daycare class whose name is Nolan.  I absolutely love the name!  The only other Nolan I ever heard of is Nolan Ryan- famous baseball player and Hall of Famer.  So that's not bad company to be in. 

Bottom line is that eveyrone has a connection to some name and some are good and some are bad.  If it was a relative who had a problem with the name, I'd say listen to what they say and consider it.  But a total stranger in a store?  Who cares what they think!  Do what you like!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"