Health & Exercise

Overweight and PG!!!

I am about 7 weeks pg with my 3rd child.  While I am ecstatic, I am very overweight and extremely nervous about how I am going to manage to not gain any (or VERY little) weight over the next 33 or so weeks.  Anyone else have the same concern???  It has been 5 years since my last, and could really use some advice.

Re: Overweight and PG!!!

• i just sent you a message. you can check it by scrolling down and clicking on "check private messages" on the left side of the board :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had the same concern.  My pre-preg size was (is) a 20-22 at 5'9".  At first I was told to gain no more than 25.  Then it was lowered to 15.  Most recently, my doctor said to shoot for 5 to 10.

I figured there was no way I could stick with that and I would just see what happened.  Honestly, I haven't been limiting my calories at all.  I have followed my cravings, indulging in them even, but making sure to get in all of the foods (fruits, vegetables, protein), etc. that baby needs.  Also, I have faithfully taken both my prenatal vitamin and Viactiv Calcium chews (2 per day). 

I figured I would get morning sickness, be too sick to keep anything down and that would help me in maintaining a low gain.  Well, I coasted through the first trimester with NO morning sickness.  Most people would be thrilled over that, but not I.

Anyway, long story short, I'm now *ALMOST* halfway through the pregnancy and how much have I gained?  I'm down 1 lb.  Seriously, I have NO idea how.  I have eaten until content.  I haven't counted calories.  I haven't 'measured' anything.  I don't know.  My body seems to be dictating what I need and somehow, I'm not gaining weight yet.

Also, another perk - the last week to week and a half, I am not able to eat as much. At dinner, my plate looks just like it did a month ago when I was able to clear it but now, I'm able to eat about half of what's on my plate.

DH said he has noticed it and thinks that maybe my uterus is pushing up my other organs and....not leaving much room in the stomach?  Doesn't quite make sense to me but who knows.

All I'm saying is - definitely watch it but, at least in my case, my body has regulated itself naturally so far.

One thing I have done, just to ease my mind, is I weigh myself every single morning.  This way I don't have to worry all month between doctor appointments about how much I may have lost or gained.  Honestly, if I didn't have the scale, I would think I had put on 20 lbs. by now because my stomach is getting so big, but I think my weight is just shifting.

I know this was a long answer but hope it's offered some kind of solace!

• Loading the player...
  • I had this same concern/fear when I found out I was pregnant with what will be my first. I was told to gain 15-20 lbs by my first ob, the current one hasn't said a word about my weight. I have gained 10lbs as of 3 weeks ago. A little more then I wanted but I'm not going to stress myself out over it. I haven't denied myself anything (and only lately have I had unhealthy cravings for things lol). The best thing to do is not stress, know that you have to eat for your LO.

I also highly recommend a book called "Big, Beautiful, and Pregnant" it made me a much happier mama-to-be and eased a lot of my overweight and pregnant fears. Congratulations!!!!

• PLEASE don't restrict your calories during pregnancy. I was told to only gain 10-15lbs and really stressed out about it. Make sensible choices (fresh fruit and whole grains), indulge once in a while (you deserve i no matter what size you are!) and you'll be fine. I also found that walking every day was a good way to stay active and also helped my body feel less stiff. I ended up gaining 26lbs and was totally fine. Your baby needs you to eat well, not be overly concerned with the actual pounds! Good luck!

• This PG, as with my first, I have not gained weight.  I initially lost about 5-6 lbs due to severe nausea 1st tri- but have gained a couple lbs of that back, and have been at same weight for last 8 weeks or better.  I am a lot bigger, and was sure I had gained a ton- but I haven't.

Last PG I actually left hospital at about 35 lbs under pre PG weight.  I don't think I will be that lucky this time, but who knows.  I started out a bit heavier, wearing a 24-26 most of the time.  

The worst part for me is my ginormous boobs.  Not easy to find a bra. 

• You guys are making me feel much better because I have been freaking out and wishing there was a board for Plus Size Mommies because I hate hearing about all these lil skinny people worrying about gaining a pound or two! I want my baby to be healthy and will do whatever it takes to make that happen, but it's really hard to watch the scale go up when your whole life you've worked your tail off to make it go down. Ugh. Thanks for the encouragement!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I would also like a board for plus sizes.

I am not TTC yet but am trying to lose weight so that I feel better about it. I am wanting to lose weight for health reasons, not vanity, and not JUST because of a baby either. I want to be healthy in general, and now is a great time to get to it! 

Good luck to everyone.

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"