Stay at Home Moms
Options

Anyone ever decorate a cake with fondant?

Is it hard? Is a square cake easier than a round? Do you use those flat sheets of it or knead it yourself and roll it? Any tips? I was just watching a cake decorating show and they frosted the cake before laying the fondant...didn't know that was how it was done. Guess I have a lot to learn, but I'm very artistic and creative and cake is one medium I am new to, but willing to learn from those who have done it.

Re: Anyone ever decorate a cake with fondant?

• Options

never really done it (successfully) but i am having lunch tomorrow with a close friend who is a pastry chef- I can ask for some good tips for ya.

btw- i sent you a PM :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for talking to your friend. Let me know if she has any "secrets" she'd like to share. ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I DID A 3 TIER CAKE FOR MY DD'S FIRST BDAY. (CAPS LOCK DTAYS ONE WHEN I POST FROM MY PHONE AND I DONT KNOW WHY) ANYWHO- I DONT THINK ROUND OR SQUARE WOULD MATTER. I NEEDED THE FONDANT MYSELF BC I DYED IT TO GET THE COLORS I WANTED. THE ICING UNDER THE FONDANT ACTS AS THE GLUE FOR THE FONDANT. IT TOOK A REALLY LONG TIME, BUT I REALLY ENJOYED DOING IT. I THINK IF UOU LIKE ARTISTC PROJECTS YOULL DEFINITELY ENJOY IT! 
  • Options

I take Wilton cake courses and am going to start course 2 this week.

Anyway, it is hard for me to decorate with fondant.  I always find that the fondant sticks to the counter even though I greased the granite counter with tons of crisco.

Here is a website that can help you though:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I am looking at taking Wilton course 3 which is fondant and gumpaste so I can learn more about it.  Some women have an easier time learning than I do though. 

• Options

I've done a couple and think they turned out pretty well - not professional or anything, but very cute. I think it's easier to make a nice looking cake with fondant than by piping icing. Round I think is supposed to be easier, corners are hard.

I made my own fondant. Look for a marshmallow fondant recipe, it actually tastes decent so it doesn't all just get peeled off before people eat the cake! It's also cheaper than store bought fondant and super simple to make. (mini marshmallows, powdered sugar, and water are all it takes, plus flavoring/coloring if desired)

You can cut out fondant shapes with a cookie cutter and "glue" them on your  fondant covered cake with a dab of water. I've also just covered a cake in butter cream and then lay fondant cutouts on it. I did that for DD's birthday cupcakes and for a babyshower cake (brown frosting with 2 shades of tiny pink fondant flower cut outs on it).  You can also buy a can of gum paste powder and add some of that to the fondant and then use the fondant just as if it were modelling clay and make figurines.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"