Birth Stories

DP from Pg After 35: BABY ADRIAN IS HERE!

Adrian came on his exact due date at 40 weeks on Aug 24 at 3:57 p.m. He weighed 8 lbs, 5 ounces and measured 21 3/4" long.

Labor started naturally (yeah!). I went to bed Sunday night with no signs of impending labor... no contractions, no mucus, no bloody show, nothing. I was even planning to go to work on Monday and had set my alarm. At 2am or so I got up to pee and noticed a little bit of cramping but nothing I hadn't had before. At 3:30am I felt a little trickle of warm fluid and rushed to the bathroom. OMG, the flood gates opened, my water broke right then and there. Not a little leak but a gush. I soaked through about 5 pads in the next hour, it was crazy. After about an hour or so contractions started, they felt like really mild cramps, nothing painful and were coming every 20 minutes or so. I thought that could take forever and got the rest of my hospital bag ready and just chilled with DH and watched TV.

When contractions started to get 10-15 minutes apart (still not painful) I called my doctor (it was about 6am). He was like, "you need to get to the hospital if your water broke!" Plus I remembered that I was Group B Strep + and they needed to start the antibiotics right away. I guess I thought it would take a long time for the bad contractions to kick in but I'm glad we went to the hospital at that moment b/c by the time I checked in my amniotic fluid was coming out non-stop and contractions where coming every 5 minutes (still bearable). I was only about 2cm dilated and thought I could ride it out drug-free until 4cm. Wrong! By 9am or so I was in excruciating pain, we're talking I was yelling out loud w/ each contraction, like in the movies. It was time for the epi. I almost kissed the anesthesiologist when she came, and I would have if she had been a man instead of a woman, lol. By that time I was about 3cm dilated and the contractions had been coming every 4 minutes or so, lasting about 30 seconds (the longest of my life!). The epi kicked in around 10:30am... SWEET RELIEF!!! I bow down to the women that can deliver med-free, I couldn't do it and I'm glad I didn't. The epi took effect really quickly, much quicker than they said it would (fine by me!). It's an amazing thing, you still feel your legs and can move them, you still feel people's hands when they check your cervix and feel the contractions, but only the pressure, the pain component is GONE. I highly recommend an epi and will do it again. Plus, I had no side effects afterwards.

At first the contrations slowed down a lot and I was worried that my progress would stop and I would end up with a c/s. My mom and DH started to make me feel guilty about getting the epi and said that now I wouldn't make progress... I was so worried. But I showed them! I did progress very slowly for about an hour (so I took a nap) but then they gave me some Pitocin and I went from almost 4cm to 10cm in 3 hours!!! I couldn't believe it. I could feel the pressure of the contractions (but no pain, yeah!) and felt like bearing down. The midwife had gone on lunch break thinking I would take forever to dilate so they called her so she could rush back. This baby wanted out!

The hardest part for me, besides waiting for the epidural, was pushing the baby out. I was so tired already by that point and it took almost 2 hours of pushing every 5 minutes or so, I thought I couldn't make it. Again, I worried about a c/s but by that point the baby was far down enough that he had to come out vaginally, no matter what. So I ended up w/ an episiotomy, ugh. Not fun but at the end I was so frikin' exhausted that I didn't care what or where they cut, I just needed that baby out!

So out he came, all 8 pounds 5 ounces of him. I couldn't believe that little creature came out of me, it was amazing. I was so tired that I couldn't really bond w/ him until after my nap, but now we're getting to know each other :) and he's a professional at breast-feeding. Latches right on and it doesn't even hurt too much.

The hard part is the episiotomy, which makes me pretty sore right now, but I'm soooo glad I didn't have a c/s, I know that would be so much harder to recover from. DH and my mom helped me push during labor. Honestly I hadn't planned for that but at the moment I felt like I needed their support and they were all for it, so that's what we did. I told DH, just don't look down there too much, I know I didn't want to, no mirrors for me please!

Anyway, I'm still in the hospital and will be discharged tomorrow. Labor was the hardest thing I've done in my life but it was totally worth it and I would do it again in a second to have our precious little boy. We're so happy. He's the most mellow baby and sleeps really well so far. We feel so blessed, DH can't get enough of him and he's doing a better job than me w/ diaper duty and swaddling, it's so cute to see that. Baby Adrian is an exact replica of DH, it's pretty cute.

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.

Re: DP from Pg After 35: BABY ADRIAN IS HERE!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards