Birth Stories

Induced, but still went epi-free!

I didn't want to be induced, but my doctor's office won't let patients go longer than 41 weeks. On Monday, August 10th when I went to my weekly appointment (40 weeks 5 days), I was only 1 cm dilated and 90% effaced, Our midwife told us to check in at the hospital later that day (at 3:30), and they would start me out on Cervadil. We went home and had a big lunch and then went back up the the area where the hospital is (we used to live up there and have a strong sentimental attachment to the area) and took a walk in our old neighborhood. 

Finally, 3:30 came and we got checked in, It took until about 5 pm before our midwife got there and started the Cervadil. I was on fetal monitors the whole time to monitor both contractions and the baby's heart rate. I was allowed to have dinner that night, but nothing after midnight. DH and I were SO bored that evening. Not much at all was happening as far as contractions. We watched DVDs on the laptop but we were overall just REALLY bored. We didn't sleep that well that night either, since the nurses were in every hour to check on me. 

When the nurse came in at 5 am the next day, she asked me if I wanted to take a shower since they were starting IVs in an hour. So I did, even though all I wanted was to sleep. At 6 am they took out the Cervidil and started me on pitocin. At 7, the midwife showed up and broke my water. Then it was more of the same. Not much happening and lots of waiting and boredom for DH and I.

I started getting contractions I could feel by late morning. They weren't anything too bad. This one nurse kept asking me if I wanted an epidural and I was like "no way! It doesn't even hurt!" Sometime around 2 or 3 pm they did start to hurt, but I was able to breathe through them and manage. The midwife came to check me around 3 and she could see that I was starting to get exhausted and that I needed to relax just a bit more. My cervix was almost there and I was steadily dilating, but she suggested I take a dose of Stadol to help me relax. I was torn, since I wanted to go med-free, but I figured the Stadol was a hell of a lot better than the epidural, so I went with it.

It was like night and day. I could let my mind get far away and relax in between contractions. During them, I was very vocal - breathing out a very low "ohhhhhhhhh" through each one. A nurse told me that when you are breathing like that it helps relax the pelvic muscles. So I went on like this with DH disc jockeying and saying encouraging things to me, for several more hours. I was making it pretty well for a long time. But after a few hours they started hurting a lot and I was unsure how much more I could take. I started feeling a little like I needed to poop and freaked out since I realized that was nearly pushing time!!

I got another dose of Stadol at 7pm, but I was still in a lot of pain and discomfort. I started pushing not long after. I was on my back with my legs up and they told me to hold my breath, relax my legs, and push as hard as I could with each contraction. I felt like I could not manage to do all of those things at once. DH ended up holding one leg and and my head, while a nurse held the other leg. I did poop on the table, but I didn't even notice until I heard the midwife say something about how I had been constipated! It sucked, but at that point it didn't matter to me that much.

I pushed for 2 hours but I had no sense of time at all while it was happening! I won't lie, that part hurt! I really needed my DH and midwife's support, even though I was so out of it that I couldn't make conversation if I tried. I did feel the "ring of fire" but it was not much worse than everything else that was already going on, so it wasn't a big deal to me. I was so tired and it hurt so much at this point, I just wanted it to be over. They asked me if I wanted a mirror, but I did NOT want to see it! The nurse took my hand and had me feel the baby's head. DH says I seemed to do slightly better after feeling it.

And finally, finally, at 9:21, I pushed her out. I almost didn't even realize it was all over, until my beautiful little girl was placed on my chest! She wasn't crying, in fact she was wide awake and very alert. I was so happy once she was out that it was like the pain of a few minutes prior didn't even exist! I delivered the placenta easily, right afterwards. I did tear a little bit, and I got just a couple stitches (I think 3). She was 7 lbs, 12 oz, and the midwife thought it was possible that she could actually have only been 39 weeks (not 41) since she had so much of that cheesy coating still on her skin.

Everyone thought it was humorous that I went from being a little ball of pain to a very happy and content mommy in mere moments.I was able to nurse her in that first hour, and she latched on perfectly and she's been doing great ever since! Since I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours, DH went to the cafeteria and got me a hot ham and cheese sandwich that was probably awful in reality, but I thought it tasted fantastic!

Unfortunately for DH and I, she did not sleep AT ALL the first night in the hospital, but we were so happy she was finally here that we just took turns cuddling her, and she was content. 

She is doing great now, and so am I! I am in size 2 Old Navy shorts right now (that is how fast I shrank back down!!). I am normally in a 1 or 0, so I'm not all the way back to pre-pg, but still! 

All in all, though I didn't want to be induced, I didn't end up with a horror story. I thought the birth was pretty amazing. I was having PTSD type feelings for a couple days, reliving the experience of the pushing, but by now, the memory is far less vivid, and I'm looking forward to 3 years when we have another one (we hope!)

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Induced, but still went epi-free!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"