Alabama Babies

fertility meds OTC???

I have heard of some fertility meds that were OTC at like stores such as GNC....is it like a herbal remedy?  Has anyone heard of something like this, or has anyone taken something like this??  If so, what are some names of some or where can you find something like this??  If there is a such thing, is it safe??  Thanks :)

Re: fertility meds OTC???

• You can get EPO and other such herbs at a nutrition store, but there are no actual fertility meds that are available OTC.  And you should always be careful with herbs, even if they seem harmless, they could cause issues with other health problems you might have (or not even know you have) and should only be taken under the supervision of a physician.
  • Okay take what I say with a grain of salt.

I know you just finished cycle number one and as much as it sucks to get a BFN (trust me I know it took me 9 cycles) I think you should give it a little bit before you start wondering about fertility meds.  Like Sarah said above you have to be careful with herbs. 

I'm not sure if you are charting, but if you aren't you might try it.  Yes I'll admit it's a pain in the butt, BUT it can give you a little bit of a feeling of control over the situation, even though there is no true control.  But it'll help you 1) know for sure you are ovulating 2) help you time intercourse better and 3) learn your luteal phase length to know if it is optimal (you want it to be consisently at least 12 days.  If it is less then that could possibly mean a progesterone problem and that is something that your doctor needs to be alerted about.)

But if you don't want it to become a chore, or stress about it because honestly TTC is stressful then you can have fun for a few cycles and see where it leads you.  

Another thing you could do is OPK's or one of the fertility monitors (I don't have experience with the monitor so I don't know much about it but I believe some other girls on here might and also I know that some girls on the GP board have).  

I hope none of this comes off as mean or snarky or anything I just don't want you to stress yoursefl out over this..trust me stress won't do you any good either and naturally you are going to have  a little stress anyway.  Like I said I understand how it feels to see that stupid BFN.  It sucks.  I wish you much luck on this next cycle and I am truly sorry if I overstepped boundaries on posting this and I'm really really sorry if I hurt your feelings...if I did it wasn't my intentions.  Good luck!   

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with Candi.

For what it's worth, I am a big fan of charting, and I feel like fertilityfriend.com makes it easy. If that's not for you, then a lot of people use OPK's. I would do one of those or both before considering any kind of meds, even herbs. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I agree w/ the others...you need to give it a little time. The majority of people don't get pregnant the first time. Charting does help you learn more about your body. I did it for a few months, then it started stressing me out, so I stopped...but I still had an idea of when I was most fertile.

• Just b/c I was asking about something, doesn't necessarily mean I was going to run to the store, I just heard about something in that line and was wondering what it was....This is my first rodeo so I am going to have questions, and I thought that was what these boards were for.  I even talked to my OBGYN about charting and told her that I wasn't...just yet...and she did not even mention anything about me doing it.  I mean if it takes several months then I will probably consider doing so, but It's stressful enough TTC, I just personally do not want to do it just yet. But I don't want anyone to take me the wrong way either for NOT charting...or judge me since I am not charting.  Thanks for trying to help though. :)
  • I promise you that the girls on this board (including me) are by no means trying to jump on your case or will ever judge you for charting/not charting. As I said, I tried charting, it wasnt for me, I stopped and soon got my BFP. I agree w/ you--TTC is stressful enough.

Most girls do get upset when they don't get a bfp their first month, so we were just encouraging you to keep trying on your own, it takes time.

I was also giving my advice b/c I know of girls who have jumped on treatments after 2 or 3 months of trying and ended up getting preggers w/ triplets, quads, etc and losing a baby/the babies, having to spend a lot of time in the NICU, etc.

So please don't ever feel like we are flaming you--we are just trying to help from experience--you are right--that is what these boards are for and we are the nicest one that I have found.Smile

• well thanks for that.  I guess I just asked that question in the wrong way.  I had just heard girls at work talking about how they knew a girl whom had been taking "some kind of OTC fertility meds" as they called it, and I was wondering what they may have been talking about.  My mom worked in L&B for over 15 yrs., working closely with OBGYNs, so I promise I would not take anything without consulting her or my dr. first.  I just asked the question in the wrong manner.....sorry about that.  Sorry if I came off rude, but I didnt want anyone to think that I am completely ignorant either.  I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts and being able to relate to some people's situations.  Thank you everyone for the support, hope, wisdom, and encouragement!  I know not everyone concieves on the first try...and knew that when we decided to start this journey, but it's still crushing, and that's one reason why I wanted to join this board to have people to talk to, who can relate. Smile

• Given the wording of the question, I just assumed it was something you were interested in taking.

I suggest charting to women in general because it confirms O ocurred and helps with timing. Some people have symptoms when they O and some don't-I am one of those who does not have any symptoms during that time, so without charting temps and CM, I would likely time sex incorrectly. This is because I am ovulating several days later than I would have expected to (on days 22 and 20 so far). My cycl;es have been longer since getting off the pill.

If charting isn't for you, there is nothing wrong with that. Katie (aubie) didn't, and she just got KU on her 4th cycle, which is great. I wish you luck :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, I guess you can say I was somewhat interested/curious as to what it was, and where you would even purchase something like that, but it was mainly b/c I had never heard of such (being otc...and like I said being my 1st rodeo).  But no, sorry I just stated the question wrong....I know it was only my first cycle.  I'm just trying to make TTC fun for us, but charting may be something I look more into, if we still have no success after several cycles.  Thanks again for everything...sorry again yall! :)
  • I'm sorry I misread your question as well as it was something you were interested in.  Thanks for clarifying. 

Like Brooke said we are really a non judgemental board.  I didn't mean to make it sound like I was going to judge you I promise.  There are a couple of girls on here that got KU without charting no problem and I didn't do it for the first 4 cycles of us trying.   TTC is stressful and it can be very emotional as well.  I do wish you luck and I hope you get you BFP soon.  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"