D.C. Area Babies

Ideas for 1st Birthday

I know I have sometime but we were chatting about this last night. I did not want to throw DD a party. I was just going to get her a cake and that was about it. Now I am feeling pressure from my family, all of whom live out of state, to throw her a party.

Now I feel guilty and feel like I need to do something. So we were thinking about having it at My Gym, The Little, or Gymboree but they are more than I would like to spend.

I would have people over but my house is too small. I also thought about Reston Zoo but its risky due to the weather. The first week in Nove can either be really nice or too cold.

Any thoughts/suggestions? 

Re: Ideas for 1st Birthday

• Is your house too small for just your immediate family?  If it is, I would just go to a restaurant for lunch.  The first birthday party is for the adults your DD will just be happy everyone is there. 
  • I know it's hard, but try not to bend to pressure from your family. Just decide what you are comfortable with and stick with it--this is your child and your family; you and your DH get to make this decision. (IMO, there is just no good reason to spend a ton of money on a 1st birthday party. Save that money for a party your DD will actually remember!) I think getting a cake and just inviting immediate family (like just grandparents) is completely fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our kids share a birthday!

We are just doing a small family thing (grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles) since I don't want to spend a bunch of money for something he's not going to remember.

We have discussed a pizza party at Anthony's in Falls Church....it's very family oriented and they have private rooms that would work well for a small b-day party.  But I'm guessing we'll just end up having everyone over to our house for brunch or lunch.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone, the more I look at prices the more inclined I am to stick to my original plan...cake at home. My immediate family wouldn't come (which is why it bugs me that they yelled at me for not doing anything in the first place!!!) so it would just be the three of us and I am fine with that.

I think they were just expecting me to bring the party to them which is what I did for my showers and baptism but I am putting my foot down on this party!

Besides I am getting her 1yr pictures w/ little moon so I rather spend my money on that.

• For Sydney's 1st and 2nd birthday we had a BBQ at the house since her's in in early July. Mostly family and a few friends that have kids similar age. This year it was more about her, but year one it was more just a BBQ.  When she's a little older we may get more extravagent but I think right now this has worked well for us...and she has a great time too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • At first I thought our house would be too small.  Then after looking around, we decided to cut down the list of who we invited and just do it at home.  Community centers through your HOA are also an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"