Pregnant after 35
Options

Used breastpump question

I have a friend who has a great breastpump. She offered to let me use it. I think I recall this being okay as long as you replaced all of the hoses, etc. Is that correct? Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Used breastpump question

• Options
    The only used breast pumps that are ok to share are the hospital grade ones that are closed systems, meaning milk cannot get into the systems. You buy all your own tubing etc. The rest are discouraged from sharing. People do it all the time, of course, but I would probably get my own. There are some nice pumps out there that are reasonable. I got a Lansinoh pump (same as Ameda Purely Yours under diff packaging) for 82 dollars on sale and with a rebate from drugstore.com.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm no expert, but I've heard that you need to get new tubing.  How lucky for you!  My SIL had one for years, but it didn't look like I was ever going to have kids, so she gave it to someone at work.  Sad
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know they discourage using a used breast pump but I am.  My SIL gave me her Medela PISA. I replaced all the hoses, valves, membranes, flanges, and even steam cleaned all removeable parts. The thing is after looking at how it operates the milk goes from the flange, past the valves and membranes, and straight into the collection container so no milk is getting in the pump itself. Therefore I feel fine replacing the parts and using a used one. But that's me. Saved me hundreds of $$ in the end even after replacing parts.
  • Options

My sister had a Medela Pump in Style which goes for like $300. She gave it to me & I had all intentions of using it. She insists that milk never backed up into it because she would always watch when pumping.

When I delivered & spoke to a lactation consultant in the hospital & told her I was going to use this, she really seemded to frown upon it. She said their were 2 cases recently with women who had breast infections from using used pumps & were hospitalized. I don't know if she was just saying that to discourage me.

I told my sis about this & her and I both started having second thoughts about doing this. Honestly, if I was financially strapped, I'd probably have used her pump, but instead I just got myself a Medela Swing pump, which is good for someone who is working part-time or needs to pump occasionally. It was $150. PS. I hate pumping. I'll post separately on this.

• Options

I work side by side with Lactation Consultants.  And as the 1st poster said, unless it is hospital grade, it is not a closed system.  You just have to be completely comfortable with who it is coming from.  It is discouraged by LC but is totally your own call!  Good luck!

• Options

Here's some information from La Leche League: https://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul04p54.html

You might want to check with your insurance to see if they cover breast pumps. Mine does under certain circumstances.

My friend keeps pushing hers on me. In fact, she left it the bassinet that she is loaning me with other gifts from the shower and mentioned something about getting the new tubes for me. I told her to let me work it out with my insurance company first to see if I can get a new one. Honestly, I will still buy a new one if even I can't get it reimbursed for it. Even though she's a close friend, I don't feel comfortable using hers but that's just me.

• Options
    imagefiazo:

My sister had a Medela Pump in Style which goes for like $300. She gave it to me & I had all intentions of using it. She insists that milk never backed up into it because she would always watch when pumping.

When I delivered & spoke to a lactation consultant in the hospital & told her I was going to use this, she really seemded to frown upon it. She said their were 2 cases recently with women who had breast infections from using used pumps & were hospitalized. I don't know if she was just saying that to discourage me.

I told my sis about this & her and I both started having second thoughts about doing this. Honestly, if I was financially strapped, I'd probably have used her pump, but instead I just got myself a Medela Swing pump, which is good for someone who is working part-time or needs to pump occasionally. It was $150. PS. I hate pumping. I'll post separately on this.

That's the one she has - the Medela Pump in Style

• Options
    imagemaschmidt16:

Here's some information from La Leche League: https://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul04p54.html

You might want to check with your insurance to see if they cover breast pumps. Mine does under certain circumstances.

My friend keeps pushing hers on me. In fact, she left it the bassinet that she is loaning me with other gifts from the shower and mentioned something about getting the new tubes for me. I told her to let me work it out with my insurance company first to see if I can get a new one. Honestly, I will still buy a new one if even I can't get it reimbursed for it. Even though she's a close friend, I don't feel comfortable using hers but that's just me.

Stupid Aetna.

Policy

Aetna considers rental of a reusable breast pump medically necessary durable medical equipment (DME) when either of the following criteria is met:

1. For the period of time that a newborn is detained in the hospital after the mother is discharged; breast pump rental is not considered medically necessary once the newborn is discharged; or

2. For babies who have congenital disorders that interfere with feeding, a breast pump is considered medically necessary for up to 12 months of age.

Note: Aetna does not cover breast pump purchase under standard Aetna benefit plans. Non-reusable manual or electric breast pumps that are available commercially are not considered by Aetna to fall within the standard contractual definition of durable medical equipment in that they are normally of use in the absence of illness or injury. Please check benefit plan descriptions for details.

Aetna considers purchase of heavy duty electrical (hospital grade) breast pumps not medically necessary.

• Options
    I have Aetna as well - thanks for posting.  Where did you find this?
  • Options
    I googled and it took me to their site. Even on bedrest, I was too lazy to call :)
  • Options
    A very good friend gave me her pump [same one you are considering] and I just got all new hoses etc for it.  Works great.  Under normal circumstances your milk will never go near the pump itself.  It's easier to understand once you've used it.
  • Options
    So what about a rental?  I see at all the drugstores in my neighbourhood that they rent them, would this be hospital grade then?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"