Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Baby not growing?

My good friend's 14 month old is tiny (and always has been)- I think she weighs about 15 lbs and is 29".  Her dr. never seemed very concerned about it, although I think a lot of friends have been for a while.  At her 1 year check up she hadn't grown in either height or weight, so they eventually sent her to see an endocrinologist, who doesn't think there is anything wrong with her endo-wise and she should see a GI (this appt was last Friday).  Now her pediatrician is hospitalizing the baby starting today.  Of course my friend is very stressed and freaking out.  It is very sudden, it isn't like this is a new problem (its been 2 months since her 1 year checkup) and the dr. just never seemed very worried- and now they have to be in the hospital for an undetermined amount of time.

Has anyone gone through anything like this?  Any advice?  I'm planning to bring food because I'm sure she won't leave her daughter's side while they're in the hospital, what else should I do to help?

Thanks! 

Peru!
imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby not growing?

• Options

I'm sorry to hear that!  I don't have much advice.  When a friend's DD was in the hospital, I brought her some food and a few toys for her DD to play with, and stayed with her for a few hours so that she could talk.  Her DH was out of town, and she was really frightened.

It seems strange that the pedi suddenly hospitalized her.  I hope that your friend finds out some more information soon!

• Options
    my daughter is very little. at her 15 month appt she was 16lbs 6ounces and 29.5 inches. she was also a preemie but my dr wasnt concerned. i hope your friend gets some answers. maybe he will just be little. i was a little baby and kid. dr wanted to run all kinds of tests but my mom wouldnt let them. lol. she just said i was just little
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Food is a great idea.  Books or magazines for her?  And I bet a nice long visit would be wonderful.  We spent the day in the hospital with DD, and had a friend come and visit and it was great...we chatted for an hour, and it took my mind of off stuff.  Maybe some new books or toys for her DD too.

I hope everything works out....how scary! 

• Options
    are they hopitalizing the baby to make sure that she's being fed and taken care of?
  • Options

imageMattsWifey<3:
    are they hopitalizing the baby to make sure that she's being fed and taken care of?

Yesterday she wasn't quite clear from her conversation with her doctor why they were hospitalizing her, and I haven't heard from her yet today to see how it is going.  I hope they gave her a better explanation today.  She tries harder than almost any mom I know, and I know she is beating herself up thinking that she has done something wrong. 

I'm just hoping that they figure out what is going on (if anything is) soon so that they can put this behind them.

The weird thing to me is how the doctors didn't seem concerned for such a long time, and now all the sudden it is a crisis.  If it is this serious (and maybe it is, I'm not a doctor), why wasn't it this serious 2 months ago?

Peru!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"