Detroit Babies
Options

new to the bump & question

HI everyone, i'm new to the bump but frequent on the knot & the nest. DH & I have decided that we would like start TTC in the next few months so hopefuly i'll frequent this board more.  DH travels for work so he leaves on sunday nights & comes home on thursday so i anticipate a long TTC because of the limited "window of opportunities", lol.

Question - Is there any certain time of the month that it's best to go off the pill?? I was just assuming i'd finish out a pack of pills and then just stop taking them, but i've never done this before, lol.  Also when do you start taking pre-natal vitamins, before or after you go off the pill??

my sister had PCOS & had a really hard time getting pregnant and there's a 50/50 chance that i'll have the same problems but my doc said there's no way of knowing until i'm off the pill. anyone else have experience with this?  basically she told me once we decide to go off to basically hump every chance possible for 2 months because it normally develops 2-3 months after going off the pill.

My Chart
TTC since Sept 2009
Cycle#9-Natural BFP 7/9/2010 ~ m/c 7/31/2010 ~ 8/31/10 beta 0.
Nov/Dec 2011, started seeing RE. HSG-all clear! SA is good! DX = unexplained IF.
Cycle#25-50mg clomid, IUI#1 = BFP 12/24/11 ~ m/c 1/5/12 ~ 2/21/12 beta level finally 0.
Cycle#28- 100mg clomid + Ovidrel + IUI#2 = BFN
Cycle#29- Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI#3 = BFP 5/8/12 ~ betas dropped 5/17/12 ~ Cytotec(fail) D&C (fail) & then a methotrexate shot to get things going ~ 6/28/12 Beta FINALLY 0.
RPL tests reveal MTHFR mutation(1copy)-adding Folgard & BA and moving forward.
Cycle#32-Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI#4 = BFP!
Beta#1 8/21/12: 11, Beta#2 8/23: 71, Beta#3 8/25:174
9/4-seen sac/yolk, 9/7-9/12 hospitalized for a ruptured cyst causing massive internal bleeding.
9/11-seen HB!! 9/18- no HB, 9/21/12-D&C. Fetal tissue testing revealed a healthy boy. Now getting more tests to try to figure out this mystery :(

Re: new to the bump & question

• Options
    I just finished my pack and just never started a new pack.  My OB advised I start taking prenatals while TTC.  You can buy over the counter prenatals.
  • Options

When we decided to TTC, I just finished my packet and then didn't start a new one.  You'll want to start PNV when you stop.  It actually can't hurt to start now, just to get use to taking them.

Good luck with TTC!  One suggestion- pick up a copy of Taking Care of Your Fertility and think about charting.  With the PCOS risk, it's a good way for you and your doctor to see what's going on and it could possibly raise red flags if there is a problem.  There's a Trouble TTC (TTTC) board, so you can always go there if you have questions about PCOS

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You should start taking prenatals when you start TTC.

My sister has never been on any type of birth control and never got diagnosed with a specific problem but over a 17 year period she has been married twice and never gotten pregnant (actively tried for several of those years).  I was very concerned that I would have the same issue even though my mother never had any problem.  I was on BCP for 10 years, got off of them in October, didn't start TTC until July and got pregnant the very first month. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto PP.  Over the counter prenatals are available, and if you like, your OBGYN will probably prescribe different ones for you if you don't like the OTC's. I also just finished my pill pack and didn't take another. Also, just because your sister has PCOS does not mean you will have it. I am one of 5 girls, and the only one with endometriosis. (Go figure!)
  • Options

Hi!

Just a note on PCOS (I have it) ... I was diagnosed a couple of months ago, but according to my doctor it is something I always had, even before taking birth control. It's caused by a hormone imbalance that prevents ovulation. It can be hereditary, but just because your sister has it, doesn't mean you will. If you have it though, you had it before you went on birth control.

Good luck TTC!!!

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Options

I ended my pill pack when I started my period and just never started a new pack. I wouldn't recommend just randomly going off the pill in the middle of the month. I did that once and had a REALLY heavy, long period.

As far as the prenatal vitamins, that depends. My doctor told me that as long as I was taking a multi-vitamin with 100% folic acid every day (I was), eat a healthy diet (I do), don't smoke, don't drink, etc., then switching to a prenatal vitamin wasn't really necessary. However, he did say they're a good idea to take during the first trimester. I started taking pre-natals when I ran out of my regular multi-vitamins. I got a script for them but I hear you can get them OTC.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"