Detroit Babies
Options

jumping in..ST disability question

Who/what companies do you guys use for this? My employer doesn't provide it--I'd have to get it, and I'm clueless as to where to start. I think I qualify for something through the State Bar of Michigan but I vaguely remember seeing a 30 day waiting period. Does that mean you get "disabled" then wait 30 days before you start getting benefits?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: jumping in..ST disability question

• Options

I have it through work.  They recently switched, but we did have Hartford.  They were good as far as processing my paperwork and sending me my checks.  After submitting my paperwork, it was only a couple weeks before I had all my money (they send a lump sum)

Without knowing how it was worded, the 30 days could mean one of 2 things.  Either you're eligiable for enrollment 30 days after employment.  Or else benefits begin 30 days after you're disabled (pregnancy I think is the only thing that doesn't require a waiting period- starts the day you deliver)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Does anyone know if you can enroll in a short term disability program that isn't through work? There isn't anything like this offered for me at work. It's not really a big deal because I'll likely have enough time (by the time I ever do get pregnant) in my leave bank to take at least 6 weeks off at full salary, but it would be nice to possibly have something else to fall back on if I need or want to be off longer.

THANKS

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

At my old employer we used Colonial. You can also get it through Aflac, or any other supplemental insurance company.

In terms of eligibility: With Colonial, you are not eligible for maternity coverage if you are already pregnant when enrolling. Thus, you can't begin paying for coverage once you find out you're pregnant. Also, there was a 30 day waiting period before your coverage kicks in. (It typically starts the first of the following month) so in theory, you should sign up for supplemental STD at least a year before you plan to deliver a baby.

• Options

My employer doesn't have a program either, but, they did a thing with Aflac where they came in to offer us supplemental plans.  This cost our employer nothing - it was completely paid for by employees.  I don't know if Aflac does individual plans for people or if they still have to do it through your work.  Might be something to check out. 

FYI - I did the math - and it was a December enrollment.  If the timing didn't work out perfectly, then, I ran the risk of paying more into the policy than I'd end up getting when I was on maternity leave.  So, I decided just to bank the money I would have spent, so, now I have the savings for my maternity leave plus some.  I'm sure it wouldn't be the same for everyone - but that is just how it happened to work out best for me anyway.

• Options
    Oh - and - you had to have the policy for 10 months at the time of delivery to get the pay out.  So, it was quite possible, if I did the enrollment in December, started paying in January, got PG right away, but, had some emergency pre-term birth, I could have been unable to collect.  Which, probably wouldn't have happened, but, that would have been a big loss and sucked!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"