Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

what's your thoughts on BYOB parties

I have a friend that always throws BYOB parties or charges admission.    She's engaged and they own their house.  This weekend she's throwing herself an engagement/birthday party.  Personally I think once you get to a certain age/place in your life they are tacky.  Just wondering what everyone else's thought on them were. Oh and I'm not talking about broke college years.
imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: what's your thoughts on BYOB parties

• Options
    It depends on the type of party. If its a laid back barbecue with a certain group of friends, BYOB is just fine. In fact in general for a house party we typically BYOB, but that is just how my group of friends operates. But if its a party for an event like an engagement, it is sort of tacky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options

Charges ADMISSION?!?! You've gotta be freaking kidding me. That's crazy. We aren't 16 anymore.

I don't think BYOB is a big deal. Its nice to have get togethers, but paying for everyone's alcohol can get expensive. However, charging admission is ridiculous.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't think BYOB is a bad idea. All of our friends have different taste in Beer & someone will only drink the really expensive imported stuff. So they just bring there own.

Is she providing all the food? I don't agree with charging admission. But to me BYOB is not that big of a deal.

• Options
    I think it's tacky not to provide the liquor at your own party, and I think it's rude not to bring some type of liquor or gift to a party. DH and I always provide and bring something.
  • Options
    imageEcoBaby:

Charges ADMISSION?!?! You've gotta be freaking kidding me. That's crazy. We aren't 16 anymore.

I don't think BYOB is a big deal. Its nice to have get togethers, but paying for everyone's alcohol can get expensive. However, charging admission is ridiculous.

this

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think BYOB is tacky.  If you can't afford to have a party where you pay for everything, you simply should not have a party, or downgrade to something you can afford.  There doesn't HAVE to be alcohol at a party.

I won't even get into charging admission!  Eww!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

imageanls520:
    I think it's tacky not to provide the liquor at your own party, and I think it's rude not to bring some type of liquor or gift to a party. DH and I always provide and bring something.

My exact thoughts. 

• Options
    We normally swtich off with friends who is hosting so the purchasing of alcohol tends to end up even. I see no problem with BYOB for a casual affair. Having a party and charging admission is reserved for college students and having an engagement party and asking anyone to bring anything with them is tacky.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelittleittybitty:

imageanls520:

My exact thoughts. 

I do agree with the second part.  We always bring something when we go to a party.  But to make it a requirement lacks tact.

• Options

imagemabst196:
    We normally swtich off with friends who is hosting so the purchasing of alcohol tends to end up even. I see no problem with BYOB for a casual affair. Having a party and charging admission is reserved for college students and having an engagement party and asking anyone to bring anything with them is tacky.

This?

• Options
    imageLucyGoosey81:

There doesn't HAVE to be alcohol at a party.

Yeah there does :)

• Options
    imageEcoBaby:

yep!  She had a halloween party one year and there was a $10 cover charge.  I understand that throwing a party can be expensive, but I kind of have the mindset of don't throw a huge bash if you can't cover the cost.  DH and I have a yearly party in the summer and have food & beer.  If someone wants something else to drink they can bring it.  Most people call us and ask if there's something they can bring and we give them a small side dish to bring. 

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    imageLucyGoosey81:

I think BYOB is tacky.  If you can't afford to have a party where you pay for everything, you simply should not have a party, or downgrade to something you can afford.  There doesn't HAVE to be alcohol at a party.

I won't even get into charging admission!  Eww!

This. Although I often bring my own anyway, since I don't like beer.

But I can't imagine throwing a party and not providing alcohol, water, and soda in addition to the food.

• Options
    I agree that it depends on the type of party.  I don't think I would be going if she charge me admisson. 
  • Options
    I totally read your title as "BYOB paNties" LOL
  • Options

imageMrsL.inMarch:
    I totally read your title as "BYOB paNties" LOL

LOLOLOLOL

• Options

imageLadybugs879:
    I agree that it depends on the type of party.  I don't think I would be going if she charge me admisson. 

I haven't gone to any of her parties.  I figure if you have a group of friends and they all have a party once a year the cost of alcohol evens out. 

• Options
    imageLucyGoosey81:
    imagelittleittybitty:

imageanls520:

My exact thoughts. 

I do agree with the second part.  We always bring something when we go to a party.  But to make it a requirement lacks tact.

I'm not saying it should be a requirement to bring something to a party.  I wouldn't make anyone bring anything.  But do I think it's rude not to?  YES.

• Options
    I think BYOB is ok, but charging admission is tacky in my opinion.
  • Options

Charging admission is absurd...that's something you do to college freshman when you rent a house and they are living in the dorms.  Do you actually pay her to go her parties??

I think if people ask what can they bring it's ok to ask for a case of beer, but if you are throwing a party your are responsible for food and alcohol.

• Options
    imagemeganet22:

Charging admission is absurd...that's something you do to college freshman when you rent a house and they are living in the dorms.  Do you actually pay her to go her parties??

I think if people ask what can they bring it's ok to ask for a case of beer, but if you are throwing a party your are responsible for food and alcohol.

nope- I feel like a biitch sometimes, but I refuse to go to her parties.

• Options

Admission is tacky, tacky, tacky.

BYOB I don't mind, as long as you provide something.. We usually bring our own drinks when we go to a party, anyway.  I hate drinking other people's beer!

Pregnancy Ticker Nathan Robert 12.18.08
  • Options
    Here's the thing: some people drink and drink and drink. If it's free, they think it's a free for all. Instead of having a glass of wine or a couple of beers they drink their weight and then some. H and I have now figured out who these individual's are and either stop inviting them or kindly ask "Hey, could you do us a HUGE favor and pick up some on the way? We will pay you back when you get here!". By then they are so smashed they dont even remember :)
  • Options
    Charging admission is tacky.  BYOB is OK for a barbecue-type of party, but not for a birthday, engagement, or other "event" type of party.
  • Options

imagelittleittybitty:
    Here's the thing: some people drink and drink and drink. If it's free, they think it's a free for all. Instead of having a glass of wine or a couple of beers they drink their weight and then some. H and I have now figured out who these individual's are and either stop inviting them or kindly ask "Hey, could you do us a HUGE favor and pick up some on the way? We will pay you back when you get here!". By then they are so smashed they dont even remember :)

Yeah, that's tacky too (getting wasted at a party).  

I agree with other posters who say that BYOB requirement is tacky, but that you should bring something anyway because it's a nice thing to do.

And admission is ridiculous.  Seriously... does she think her parties are that wonderful or what?

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think the fact that she charges admission is ridiculous. I would not even go. How could you charge your friends to hangout at your house? The BYOB situation I can see bc my friends and I usually BYOB to a small gathering or even a backyard bbq. If its a bday party or engagement, basically anything that a person is bringing a gift to is very tacky.
  • Options

Hi! Yeah, it's kind of silly to charge people at your own home for a party where people are bringing gifts. That sounds kind of greedy.

?I guess I can see BYOB to a casual BBQ, but I would NEVER expect people to BYOB or even ask them to. I don't drink (ever) and I always buy beer and drinks for people at my house. ?

?

• Options
    imageanls520:
    imageLucyGoosey81:
    imagelittleittybitty:

imageanls520:

My exact thoughts. 

I'm not saying it should be a requirement to bring something to a party.  I wouldn't make anyone bring anything.  But do I think it's rude not to?  YES.

I COMPLETELY agree :)

• Options
    imageEcoBaby:
    imageLucyGoosey81:

Dude, throw a party without alcohol if you want, but don't expect people to stay long! lol

Our friends would revolt.

• Options

Well, they're not my style. I understand them to a certain point, though. DH has a large family and they always do pot-lucks. The host/hostess will provide the main course and everyone else will bring the sides and desserts.

However, my BIL and SIL have Halloween parties every year. They make people bring their own drinks AND food to share, and we STILL have to buy costumes. So pretty much they supply the venue. Makes me SO MAD!!!

I can understand maybe bringing your own drinks OR a dish to share, but BOTH??? And they own a home and are married (obviously) and pushing 30. They're irresponsible with money, too.

I think if you can't afford to have a party, don't.

• Options
    imageJudah'sMommy:
    imageEcoBaby:
    imageLucyGoosey81:

Dude, throw a party without alcohol if you want, but don't expect people to stay long! lol

No kidding. That would just not fly with our circle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options
    imageJudah'sMommy:
    imageEcoBaby:
    imageLucyGoosey81:

Actually, my friends would too.  Hahaha! We always provide lots, and lots, and lots of alcohol.  But I think we hang out with lushes!  Ha!

All I was saying is that if you can't afford to have alcohol, don't have alcohol instead of asking people to bring it.  Also, if you put on the invitation that there will be pop, appetizers, and dinner (or whatever), people may be inclined to bring their own booze.  There are tactful ways to go about it.

• Options
    I see nothing wrong with BYOB if it's a get together or backyard BBQ, not an official "party."  I used to have a big group of friends, and we just liked fixing hamburgers and hanging out.  It happened all the time, and I was the one with the decent sized house, so it usually happened there.  I couldn't afford to supply them with alcohol all the time, so it was understand to bring whatever booze you wanted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"