2nd Trimester

You can't eat Alfredo sauce???

I heard this someone. On the jar it says it contains "Modified egg yolks". I read someone that you are not supposed to eat alfredo sauce while pregnant. No flames here. This is news to me, but I really don't believe it.

Re: You can't eat Alfredo sauce???

• heat thoroughly and you'll be fine.  Who eats it cold out of the jar anyway?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It is fine. Eat it, like other things, in moderation. :)

• Loading the player...
  • I've been eating it and I'll continue to. It's heated anyway, so it's not a concern for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    http://i41.tinypic.com/111ov4j.jpg
    2007-Sept 2008: TTC the old fashioned way
    Sept 2008 - Jan 2009: Clomid 100mg
    Feb 2009: 200mg Clomid = BFP! on March 20, 2009 - It's a BOY!
    Nov 26th 2009: Aidan Michael, 20.5" 7lb12oz
    Feb 2010: Start TTC again, the old fashioned way
    Mar - June 2011: Clomid 100mg
    July 2011: Unmedicated cycle = BFP! on August 29th, 2011
    Nov 6th 2011: m/c due to subchorionic hematoma
    Dec 2011: Start TTC again, unmedicated
    February 12th, 2012: BFP! EDD 10/23/12
    Mar 12th 2012: diagnosed as blighted ovum
    Trying again..
  • Seriously?  It's COOKED- as in heated to a boil.  It's fine.
  • Don't you heat it up?  I would think that would kill any bacteria that might be in it.  I've had fettucine alfredo at a restaurant since being pg.  Hmm. 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • I've had it half a dozen times this pregnancy- Baby and I are doing swell so Im not gonna stop-=
  • I don't make mine with egg's so I guess it depends on the recipe. My inital reaction reading the topic was HELL YEAH! I can't imagine if you heat it not being fine.
    Our Halloween Treat! Self-weaned at 23months Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageB!tchBeckman:
    I've had it half a dozen times this pregnancy- Baby and I are doing swell so Im not gonna stop-=

Same here.

• I can't eat it but that is because it screws with my new pregnancy issue of lactose intolerance (isn't that lovely) not because of modified egg yolks. Like PP said heat it up you'll be fine (and ewww to the thought of eating it out of the jar cold).
  • Indifferent

You can certainly eat cooked eggs and, therefore, heated alfredo sauce.

the boymom is expecting a girl!
    big brothers 12.2009 and 02.2012
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • *points at self* SOOOOO SCREWED if thats true....favorite food!!! Crying

I refuse to believe it (but will be researching I suppose).  However I am a firm believer in moderation and have not cut foods out completely that I enjoy.  I still enjoy a ham sandwich here and there (or better yet, pepperoni!!)

oh, except alcohol....totally miss my drink but baby is a good distraction from missing things..lol :)

• Sounds yummy.  Its easy to make your own that doesn't have eggs.  I didn't know that either I never would have thought to even read that label.  Not sure why I read every other label. 
  • Cook it and you will be just fine.
  • If that's the case, me and LO are SOL. I heart Alfredo sauce, especially the Seafood Alfredo from Olive Garden.
  • Alfredo sauce sold in jars is pasteurized.   It can sit on the shelf unrefrigerated for months.   If those eggs were raw, that would not be possible...

Eat all you want of it. 

• It shouldn't be an issue, but if you want to be sure you can always make your own...it is super simple and I think tastes sooooo much better.  This recipe is one that mimics the Olive Garden alfredo sauce.  Hope this helps!  In fact I think now that this came up I will make it tonight! Big Smile 

1 pint of Heavy Cream

1 stick of butter

2 Tbsp. Cream Cheese

1/2 - 3/4 C. Parmesan cheese

1 tsp. Garlic powder

In a saucepan combine butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Simmer this until all is melted, and mixed well. Add the Parmesan cheese and Garlic powder. Simmer this for 15 - 20 minutes on low. You may wish to season with a little salt and pepper. I have done this with half and half, but we prefer the heavy cream. I sometimes make it with skim milk..a little less smooth in consistency, but still yummy!

• imageamoureux:

Alfredo sauce sold in jars is pasteurized.   It can sit on the shelf unrefrigerated for months.   If those eggs were raw, that would not be possible...

Eat all you want of it. 

This. Traditionally, Alfredo Sauce is thickened w/egg yolks, which are still cooked.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, you can. First of all, you cook it. Second of all, they're 'modified' and who knows what that means. Also, they probably use pasteurized eggs.

Or ou could master the art of making your own from scratch. If you don't walk away from the stove, it's really quite easy. No eggs involved.

• imageFuzzy8252:
    imageamoureux:

Alfredo sauce sold in jars is pasteurized.   It can sit on the shelf unrefrigerated for months.   If those eggs were raw, that would not be possible...

Eat all you want of it. 

This. Traditionally, Alfredo Sauce is thickened w/egg yolks, which are still cooked.

You're probably thinking of Carbonara sauce...bacon (guanciale or pancetta), eggs, and Parmegiano Reggiano or Pecorino Roman...where the eggs are added raw at the last minute to thicken the sauce. I would NOT eat Carbonara while pregnant- if the eggs are contaminated they would not be heated enough to kill microorganisms. (Same with Hollandaise or Bernaise sauce or Creme Anglaise, etc.)

Alfredo sauce was originally only  made with butter and cheese. Now the "standard" is butter, Parmegiano Reggiano, and heavy cream. Most traditional Italian cooks (as in, born in Italy) will also add a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. Heavy cream, Parmegiano Regiano (a hard cheese), and butter are all safe to eat during pregnancy.

Eating Alfredo sauce from the jar (that has egg in it) is no different then eating Hellman's mayo (except IMO, the Hellman's is worth the calories:)). They're both safe to eat.

• They are already cooked... what is it that you are worried about?
  • imageLariah14:
    imageFuzzy8252:
    imageamoureux:

Eat all you want of it. 

Eating Alfredo sauce from the jar (that has egg in it) is no different then eating Hellman's mayo (except IMO, the Hellman's is worth the calories:)). They're both safe to eat.

Yes 

• imagemandiespudich:

It shouldn't be an issue, but if you want to be sure you can always make your own...it is super simple and I think tastes sooooo much better.  This recipe is one that mimics the Olive Garden alfredo sauce.  Hope this helps!  In fact I think now that this came up I will make it tonight! Big Smile 

1 pint of Heavy Cream

1 stick of butter

2 Tbsp. Cream Cheese

1/2 - 3/4 C. Parmesan cheese

1 tsp. Garlic powder

In a saucepan combine butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Simmer this until all is melted, and mixed well. Add the Parmesan cheese and Garlic powder. Simmer this for 15 - 20 minutes on low. You may wish to season with a little salt and pepper. I have done this with half and half, but we prefer the heavy cream. I sometimes make it with skim milk..a little less smooth in consistency, but still yummy!

I have a recipe VERY similar to this.  It is delicious and I get comments that it tastes just like Olive Garden's alfredo sauce.  I also add salt and pepper to taste.  So yummy!

• Oh geez. The things people come with that you can't eat.

I wouldn't believe it either. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"