Parenting
Options

Family has got me 2nd guessing myself with M's medical "issues"

Its no secret that Michelle eats next to nothing....absolutely refuses to try anything new.  Its been ongoing since she was 10.5 months old.  Already did the nutritionalist with EI along with OT.  Nothing has helped.  Its gotten so bad that she is constantly constipated.  Right now she's on 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax a day.

We had a lengthy consult appt. with the pedi.  After going over her medical history...she was a preemie & even though she's growing height-wise her weight has slacked off... he thinks is pyschological mainly fear and control.  However given her history as a preemie he wants to rule out anything physical.  So he wants to do an upper GI and a swallow test whatever that is.  I'm familiar with the GI test...just not the swallow test.  So I consented to the tests because I would feel awful if we skipped the tests and went straight to a child psychologist and there really was something physically wrong.

Well dh of course told his whole family and now they all thing we are putting her thru unnecessary tests.  They think we just have a super picky eater.  I can count on 1 hand foods she will consitently eat and 2 hands stuff she will eat but its hit & miss.  

So as I sit here with a cranky moody toddler who doesnt want to eat her pasta even though she ask for it I'm now 2nd guessing myself.  I hate that...I just wish family would keep their opinions to themselves.

Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!

Re: Family has got me 2nd guessing myself with M's medical "issues"

• Options
    YOU are the Mom and YOU know her better than anyone.  The swallow test I do not believe is a huge deal, I know others on here have done it but cannot remember who.  If YOU feel there is a chance that something is wrong than follow your gut and do not let others make you second guess yourself.  I had others think I was nuts when I worried something was wrong with DD and I went to two Orthopedic surgeons for her to be diagnosed with Infantile Scoliosis, I knew something was wrong all along.  Go, hopefully they will rule it out and you can move on but either way you will know.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    I agree with you. I would have anything medical ruled out first! I wish people would just mind their own business.  good luck with everything.
    Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    your family, as well meaning as they are are not there for every meal, every constipated potty time, every pediatric appointment as you are.  ruling out any medical issues on the advice of your ped. is an important thing to do.  the tests will come and go, you'll get the needed results for your next move, and this part of finding out answers will be over.  families can be over protective, they want things to be all puppies and rainbows but you have the harder job of making sure michelle is happy and healthy. 
    Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • Options
    i know this can be very frustrating to deal with. a lot of moms of preemies stuggle getting their kids to eat. may want to post this on the preemies board. you know what is best for your daughter. if you think she needs the tests then get them. did your OT do feeding therapy?

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"