Pregnant after a Loss

Sugar free candy- I know I am clueless

I have never been very health conscious, as much as I HATE to admit that. Only the past few years have i really read ingredients & watched what i ate. I am going thru M/S alll day long & I am trying to stay away from snacking on carbs which is all I want. I did goldfish for awhile but I cant stand that any more. I recently found that sucking on jolly ranchers has really helped me. I pruchased the sugar free kind but am not sure if there is anything in them like artifical sweetners that i should stay away from. I am totaly clueless when it comes to that stuff. The ingredients are below- does anyone know if these are bad/ I am just trying to find something that works for me:

The ingredients in a bag of Sugar-Free Jolly Ranchers Hard Candy- Assorted Flavors are: Isomalt, Polyglucitol Syrup; Contains Less Than 2% or Less of Malic Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Acesulfame Potassium, Artificial Color (Red 40, Blue 1, Yellow 5, Yellow 6.)

Re: Sugar free candy- I know I am clueless

• The ingredient isomalt is an artificial sweetener.Some people use artificial sweeteners while pregnant and some don't.

This info is from the American Pregnancy site:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/artificialsweetner.htm

What artificial sweeteners are considered safe during pregnancy?

Nutritive sweeteners (such as table sugar) contain what is called ?empty? calories. These additives contribute calories to the diet, but they contain few vitamins or minerals. When used in moderation, nutritive sweeteners are considered safe for consumption during pregnancy assuming they are not contributing to excess weight gain. However, women with carbohydrate intolerance such as gestational diabetes, diabetes mellitus, or insulin resistance need to limit their use of nutritive sweeteners. Nutritive sweeteners include sugars such as sucrose, dextrose, honey, corn sugar, fructose, and maltose.

Sugar alcohols are also nutritive sweeteners that are often found in foods labeled as ?sugar free.? Technically, sugar alcohols are not sugars, but they do have calories which can be converted into fat. Examples of sugar alcohols include: Sorbitol, Xylitol, Isomalt, Mannitol, and Hydrogenated Starch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know plenty of people who have lots of artificial sweetners throughout their pregnancy, but I refuse to.  Especially stuff like Splenda or the other one (starts with a, I can't remember right now!).

I actually also try to stay away from stuff with a lot of dyes in it, but that is pretty much all candy!  So it's hard, I do have candy once in a while.

• Loading the player...
  • Sugar free candy has sugar alcohol in it. I cant have it. it gives me a laxative effect on me and for some people. Also of sugar free has artifical sweetners which are not good. Spelda and aspartame I would stay away from.

I really wouldnt worry about sucking on regular candy.

Suzanne & Pasquale 9/9/07
    Our Journey in Blog.
    My Blog
    Our Sweet boy Luca Salvatore 10/6/10 & Our precious daughter, Arianna Regina 4/9/13
  • I stay away from aspartame, but am ok with the rest, especially splenda. Honestly, if it makes you feel better, just go for it. Chances are you won't need to indulge in them the whole pg for ms. My philosophy is, if it makes me feel better, and it's not too dangerous, I'm gonna go for it. It doesn't do my baby any good if I'm too sick to eat or sleep!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What's wrong with splenda?  It's made from sugar so I think of all the artificial sweetners, that would be the safest.  I think we're back to the "everything in moderation" guidelines.  If you have a jolly rancher in your mouth all day every day, then it might not be a good idea, but even then I don't think there has actually been anything proven to be dangerous.  Even the thought of Jolly Ranchers makes me ill though - I had sweets intolarance during 1st tri and JR still don't sit well with me now.  I sucked on sugar free lemon drops from time  to time and it helped me.

I say use what works and try not to worry.  I'm sure whatever amount you take in won't be enough to cause damage.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"