blue cheese substitute? — The Bump
1st Trimester

blue cheese substitute?

I'm supposed to make this buffalo chicken dip & chips for a party tomorrow. I know blue cheese is on my list of foods to avoid. Does anyone know of a good substitute? Ranch maybe?

Here's a list of the ingredients. Before you jump on me about this sounding like a WT food, I'll save you the time: I know it's "trashy". :) And it's really bad for you, but so tasty!

6 oz Cream cheese
1 cup Blue cheese dressing
Shredded Chicken
1 cup hot sauce (franks red hot or any kind of "buffalo" sauce)
Shredded cheddar cheese

Soften the cream cheese. Put in a square baking pan or casserole dish. Combine cream cheese and hot sauce. Stir in the blue cheese dressing and shredded chicken.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Pull dish out and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes. 

Let cool and serve with chips or crackers.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)

Re: blue cheese substitute?

• If it is going to be boiled, I dont see why you cant just eat it as is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Trashy or not, sounds yummy. :)

You can use blue cheese, just make sure it's pasteurized. Unless it's fancy imported cheese, it will be.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've tried this recipe too. ?I think the ranch would be fine in it.
  • U.S. blue cheese is pasteurized, so it's all good, right? especially if you cook it.
  • I would just use pasteurized blue cheese. 
  • i think as long as it's pasteurized it's ok. just double check on the label
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If it's made with commercial bleu cheese dressing, it should be pasteurized, which makes it safe.

Also, it sounds heavenly. Can you please send me some?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • HA! I am an idiot. Of course the cheese is pasteurized. Ok, move along. Nothing to see here. Wink

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Yep ... what everyone elese said ... make sure its pasteurized or make sure that it's bubly (cooked well)
  • imagehomebird:
    HA! I am an idiot. Of course the cheese is pasteurized. Ok, move along. Nothing to see here. Wink

I didn't know either so thanks for the post!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love this recipe. We call it Crack Chicken Dip.

Like everyone else said, you should be fine but use ranch dressing instead if you're nervous. Though I'd probably thin the amount added. Ranch is much more runny that blue cheese dressing and you don't want it too soupy.

• Blue cheese dressing would be pasteurized.  It is fine.

Plus, on top of that you are baking it.

• I have this exact recipe except it uses Ranch dressing. Just swap it out - yummy!!
  • I love this recipe! And I don't think it's WT at all! It's a staple at any of our family / friend get togethers and so easy to make. It's always a huge hit! Might need to make some now....
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • That sounds AMAZING! 
  • I will so be making this!!!

You haven't had WT until you've had Pickle Roll-ups or Hot Dogs wrapped with bacon and then baked with brown sugar!!!!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Um if it's trashy, then I'm trashy. I love that stuff. I hate blue cheese normally so I've made it with Ranch in the past.
    10.11.07 ~ 04.08.10 ~ 08.11.12
  • thanks a lot.  now I want buffalo chicken fingers.  ;)

DD february 2010 | DS october 2011

*please excuse my typos, bumping from my iphone*
  • oh, yum..... I so need an occasion to make this now! :-) 
  • I love Buffalo Chicken Dip!!  As long as you check that the cheese is pasteurized, you're good!
  • Oh I love this!  I use a little more cream cheese in mine and since I don't like blue cheese, I always just use ranch in place of it. SO yummy!
    image Laura & Jason Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards