Babies: 9 - 12 Months

102.7 fever, no other symptoms?

could a "teething fever" possibly get this high?  our pedi has said it isn't necessary to call until it gets to 105, but...  Tongue Tied

Re: 102.7 fever, no other symptoms?

• Ack!!  I'd be calling anyway.  Are you giving him Motrin/Tylenol?  :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGarnetbaby09:
    Ack!!  I'd be calling anyway.  Are you giving him Motrin/Tylenol?  :(

yes, he doesn't even want a popsicle :( he loves popsicles :(

• Loading the player...
  • That's exactly where Anderson was at last week, and it scared the crappers out of me. ?His pedi wants to see him if he ever has a fever over 102, so we did call in the next morning. ?She checked his ears and throat and decided he had a stomach bug. ?She doesn't believe teething causes fever at all, but I kind of disagree after that experience.

Next time- I'll wait and watch it for a day myself. ?Try a cool bath and Tylenol and see what it does. ?DON'T wake him during the night to check his temp. ?The resting temp will always be high and you'll just freak yourself out. ?As long as he's responding to you and not inconsolable, I wouldn't stress.

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Don't call until 105? Wow. Nurse at old pedi's office said babies can have a fever up to 104 for 3 days and it is normal. I question her source of information.

When DS' temp last shot up to 102-104, it was from an ear infection. For teething, he does get up to about 100.

GL.

• According to DD's pedi, a teething fever would not go that high.

DD had a few days of high fevers...over 102, up to almost 104 a couple nights.  She ended up having roseola.  We went to the drs after 72 hours of a fever.  They say not to come in until then.  They did a quick bloodwork to check white cell count for an infection.  She didn't have anything, so was told it was just a virus.  The next day the fever broke and she had the rash.

According to our dr's instructions, just give tylenol. Ours says not to call until 104 or its been 72 hours of a fever over 100.4.  If it continues, its probably just a virus...possibly roseola.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Teething only causes mild grade fevers- 102.7 is too high for teething.

I would call- that is what they are there for, right??

?

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Angie has this and no other symptoms - 3 days later got a wicked rash, which they said was probably roseola.

?

I hope he feels better!?

• Like a pp said, my DD had the same thing (fever, lethargic, cranky) and it was roseola. They had me come in immediately, though. My pedi said any time a baby has a fever over 103 with no obvious cause (ears, throat, etc. look good) they have to check other causes. We ended up having a chest x-ray, catheter inserted to check for a UTI, and blood draw. I'm actually really surprised they weren't concerned until it reached 105.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a pp said, my pedi also said that teething fevers really aren't that high (maybe just 100) Have you tried anything else to bring his temp down? You can put rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and swab the back of his ears and the back of his neck. Alcohol helps draw out heat. That or a cool water bath...
  • 105 is their recommendation to call??? ?

i think 102.7 is a tad high. ?yeah, I'd call. ?

• i would probably treat it, and wait and see what it was in the morning, then call the pedi if it is still as elevated...
  • imagekrys2729:
    i would probably treat it, and wait and see what it was in the morning, then call the pedi if it is still as elevated...

DD had a high fever 2 weeks ago that lasted for 2 days. I just used Tylenol and Motrin, did lukewarm baths, and cool washcloths to break it. We didn't call the dr. because she had no other symptoms whatsoever.

Hope your little guy feels better!

• As others mentioned, could be roseola.  Unfortunately, you can't really know until after the fever goes down & a rash develops (or maybe the pedi can test for it, but this is how I found out).

DD had a fever for just over 3 days, and she hit 103 a couple times.  After 3 days of fever, I had to bring her in.  They checked to make sure it wasn't flu, gave me a prescription for an antibiotic to give if it didn't go away (they were worried it might be bacterial), but it did go down later that day.  Then came the rash.  Otherwise, while she had the fever, she slept constantly, had little appetite, and overall was cranky.

Just remember that a fever in itself is not necessarily bad...it's just the body working on attacking a virus.  As long as you can get it down a degree or two, it can continue doing its job, but make DS feel a little better. 

• DD's doc said it was more important to see how she was acting, more than how high the temp was going.  If he's really lethargic and miserable with the temp, then I'd call.  If he's still playing and acting more or less normally, then I'd wait to call. 
    TTC #2 since 2/2010 DX PCOS BFP #1 4/1/08, DD born 12/5/08 BFP #2 2/3/12, m/c 2/14/12 BFP #3 4/27/12 EDD 12/31/12 Hoping for a sticky baby! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Minus the shed, perfect pic web
  • I think that's a little high to be a teething fever. I would give Tylenol and see if it comes down in the next few hours. GL
  • I bet it's roseola.  Gabe had it a few months ago.

Just keep your eye on the fever.  I would take him in if it gets higher than 103, but thats just my opinion.  Gabe started having febrile sezures at 103.

Poor Shepherd.  I'll say a few prayers for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"