Pregnant after a Loss

Traveling after a d&c

Hi I'm not sure what board would be the right one to post this question on but thought this might be it. I just found out on Friday that I have had a missed miscarriage and will be scheduling a d&c hopfully for Monday or Tuesday. I am supposede to traveling to Italy for a week on Thursday evening. My question is has anyone traveled the same week that they had a d&c and do you think that it is possible or am I just crazy for even still considering. I just feel like I'd really be able to recover mentally away from my everyday life. But also realize that I really have to wait and see how I feel before making a final decision. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Re: Traveling after a d&c

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I've never had a D&C so I can't comment on that aspect.

I had a blighted ovum (discovered at 10w) and waited for a natural m/c. I went away for a long weekend and felt like it was good to keep moving. Then, I had a missed m/c (discovered at 10w). I was scheduled to go away the next day for a week (flying from Boston to DC). I decided to go on vacation anyway, despite the fact that I knew natural m/c could start at any time. It didn't and I ended up taking misoprostyl when I got back.

Both times, I felt like going away was the right thing for me, so in answer to your question, no, I don't think you are crazy. If your doctor gives you the okay to travel, I would do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had 2 d&c's. I was fine the day the afternoon I got home from the hospital. Besides some minor cramping that went away within 24 hours. I didnt even have any bleeding until I got a normal period 5 weeks later. I think you should be fine with going away. You dont sound crazy, do what you need to do for you at this time. I am so very sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers. ((hugs))
  • Loading the player...
  • my doctor is advising against it or at least she did when I spoke to her yesterday. i still feel like i need to see how i feel and that i should be able to tell if my body feels up to it. but thanks for your post it helps to hear others experiences.
  • I am so sorry for your loss. I was actually outside laying bricks the day after my D&C (yes literally!). Physically I was fine, just a little cramping and spotting. If mentally you feel like you would be okay going then I'd say do what you feel is best for you. I know personally if I was looking forward to going on the trip and didn't go because of this I would probably feel worse! I think you can call the shots. Good luck with everything...I'll be praying for you. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For the most part, it may be more of a mental thing than a physical thing. After my first D&C, I would have been ok to travel physically, and mentally it would have been great for me to get away. With my second, I had more bleeding and cramping, which I don't think would have made any type of travel enjoyable.

The only thing that would make me cautious about going out of the country is if you were to have some type of reaction to the procedure and you would not be able to get proper medical care (depending on where you were in Italy). Many i know have had no problems with healing after a D&C, but (not to scare you) my sister-in-law had to go back in and have another one done a few days after her's because her doctor didn't get all the tissue out and it was starting to cause an infection.

• I actually did really great after my D&C.  I woke up feeling fine, a little crampy and of course bleeding (it was like having my period for a few days/half a week).  But it was election day, we went out to eat and I voted, no problem.  If I was working (instead of SAHM) I would have easily gone back to work the next day.  I think you don't want to overexert yourself the couple days after, but it's perfect to get away from everything at a time like that.  I would totally do the trip but maybe you can ask your Dr why he/she is advising against it?
  • I had 2 and think you will be just fine. I felt awesome the next day (tired the 1st day from anesthesia) but layed around because they were doctors orders. You will be fine to go away and that may be the best thing for you!
  • I would go! I took a week off after my D&C, but only for emotional healing. Physically, I was great.
  • Physically, I was okay to travel just 2 days after my D&C (except for a few cramps and light bleeding). ?Emotionally, however, I was not ready to be around people at all or to pretend to be happy (we went to Disneyland). ?It was very hard being with people who had no idea what had happened. ?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"