Babies on the Brain

Recommend some good books (NBR)

I am nearing the end of a great book right now.  Does anyone else feel kind of bummed after finishing a good book - like "I want to keep reading more and more, but the book is over!"  Or is it just me.   I am a nerd.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Recommend some good books (NBR)

• I don't know what kind of books you are into, but I have my reading list blog link in my siggy.
    DD 8/1/2009
    DS 4/12/2013
    TTC in 2017 (maybe)
  • yes! I am the same way.

If you haven't seen the movie or read the book already P.S. I Love You is a fantastic book.

• Loading the player...
  • See book blog in siggy.

I loved the book Still Alice. It's heavy and you will cry, but such a profound book. It really moved me. 

Blank!
  • the dresden files

the "Dead and" series they start with dead and unwed and there are a few.

um.. southern vampire series

mortal instruments series (those are more toward a younger audience but they are very good)

another young but good series is maximum ride by james patterson

i can find you authors for the rest if you would like.

• all the ones i listed are kinda fantasy fiction, lots of vampires and fairies and werewolves and stuff. that seems to be what i am really into lately
  • imagewils0482:
    I am nearing the end of a great book right now.  Does anyone else feel kind of bummed after finishing a good book - like "I want to keep reading more and more, but the book is over!"  Or is it just me.   I am a nerd.

I feel the same way at the end of a good book.  For me, the longer a book is, the better!

What sort of books do you like?  The Outlander series is really good if you like historical fiction.  Jacqueline Carey is really good (Kushiel series) if you like political intrigue/fantasy with lots of sex. Shopoholic series for brain candy.  I could go on....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSoonerBred:

the dresden files

mortal instruments series (those are more toward a younger audience but they are very good)

The Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris is AWESOME. 

I just started reading the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. So far so good! 

DD 8/1/2009
    DS 4/12/2013
    TTC in 2017 (maybe)
  • Oh, btw, read The Fountainhead.  It's great!

Thanks for the suggestions

• imageSoonerBred:

Oooh....just started this series today - great so far!  Dead Until Dark is the first.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagewils0482:

I always feel this way. A good, light hearted read is Can You Keep A Secret by Sophie Kinsella. She is the author for Confessions Of A Shopaholic.

• What are you in to reading?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageashley21babe:
    imageSoonerBred:

the dresden files

I just started reading the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. So far so good! 

hpw far into mortal instruments are you? they start out slow but get REALLY good.

(sorry to thread jack)

• imagegymnst1013:
    imageSoonerBred:

Oooh....just started this series today - great so far!  Dead Until Dark is the first.

Oh, the Undead Series! Also fantastic. It really doesn't get any better with the Southern Vampire Series though. It's my absolute favorite.

DD 8/1/2009
    DS 4/12/2013
    TTC in 2017 (maybe)
  • imageSoonerBred:
    imageashley21babe:
    imageSoonerBred:

the dresden files

hpw far into mortal instruments are you? they start out slow but get REALLY good.

(sorry to thread jack)

I'm only about 5 chapters in to the first one. Yes

DD 8/1/2009
    DS 4/12/2013
    TTC in 2017 (maybe)
  • GBCKGBCK member

I do know that feeling...

I"m usually a good book-reccomender to people I know...but tell us 4 or 5 books you loved so we have an idea to base reccomendations on.

Right now I'm reading 'Dont Panic' (biography of Douglas Adams, written by Neil Gaimen.  Can't go wrong w/ that crew), some Richard Dawkins (biology/evolution), Terry McMillan (my summer fluffy 'how stella got her groove back' reading), Dostoevskey's "crime and punishment" [not enjoing it yet], and...something else.

When in doubt, I always reccomend Christopher Moore--hilarious.  I reccomend you start w/ 'Lamb'--the gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood best friend.  

Robert Rankin is also hilarious--my fave of his is would be 'Hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocolypse'

ANd very recently, I read Chris Offutt's "The same river twice"--it was VERY good and...on a very baby-related note, both the Mr and I very much got into how he described his wife's pregnancy.

• imagegymnst1013:

imagewils0482:

I feel the same way at the end of a good book.  For me, the longer a book is, the better!

What sort of books do you like?  The Outlander series is really good if you like historical fiction.  Jacqueline Carey is really good (Kushiel series) if you like political intrigue/fantasy with lots of sex. Shopoholic series for brain candy.  I could go on....

I second the Outlander series, they're my favorite! Also Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are two more of my favorites. I also like the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.

Photobucket
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Natural mc @ 8 wks in Nov. '07, dd born 4/23/11, natural mc @ 6 wks in April '12, bfp 6/11/12...praying for a sticky baby!
  • imagegymnst1013:
    imageSoonerBred:

oops sorry about that, couldn't remember the first

• imageashley21babe:
    imagegymnst1013:
    imageSoonerBred:

Oh, the Undead Series! Also fantastic. It really doesn't get any better with the Southern Vampire Series though. It's my absolute favorite.

hmm... in my opinion it is a really close race between southern vampire and undead. the undead series is just SOOO damn funny! but southern vampire has such good loves storeis... just depends on what i want on a given day i guess

• Read "The mark of the Lion" trilogy by Francine Rivers. It is the best!
  • imageSoonerBred:
    imageashley21babe:
    imagegymnst1013:
    imageSoonerBred:

hmm... in my opinion it is a really close race between southern vampire and undead. the undead series is just SOOO damn funny! but southern vampire has such good loves storeis... just depends on what i want on a given day i guess

Yeah, they are both excellent series. I also loved the House of Night Series, Vampire Diaries, and The Garnet Lacey Series is good and reminds me of the same humor that is in the Undead Series.

Oh and Twilight of course.

DD 8/1/2009
    DS 4/12/2013
    TTC in 2017 (maybe)
  • imageashley21babe:
    imageSoonerBred:
    imageashley21babe:
    imagegymnst1013:
    imageSoonerBred:

Yeah, they are both excellent series. I also loved the House of Night Series, Vampire Diaries, and The Garnet Lacey Series is good and reminds me of the same humor that is in the Undead Series.

eh, i thought twilight was the bees knees when i read it, but now after reading series like undead and southern vampire with STRONG, INDPEPENDANT female leads that could totall kick the boy's @sses, bella just annoys me. and edward is kinda creepy.

go ahead, flame away

• I'll recommend The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and The Art of Racing in the Rain, the second particularly if you're a dog person.

I've also read the Southern Vampire Series. If you enjoy that, you should try the Anita Blake:Vampire Hunter series, which has been around longer.

• imageSoonerBred:
    imageashley21babe:
    imageSoonerBred:
    imageashley21babe:
    imagegymnst1013:
    imageSoonerBred:

eh, i thought twilight was the bees knees when i read it, but now after reading series like undead and southern vampire with STRONG, INDPEPENDANT female leads that could totall kick the boy's @sses, bella just annoys me. and edward is kinda creepy.

go ahead, flame away

No flames from me. I totally agree with what you said. Don't get me wrong, I still love the series though.

DD 8/1/2009
    DS 4/12/2013
    TTC in 2017 (maybe)
  • imagelkstewart320:

I'll recommend The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and The Art of Racing in the Rain, the second particularly if you're a dog person.

I've also read the Southern Vampire Series. If you enjoy that, you should try the Anita Blake:Vampire Hunter series, which has been around longer.

Anita Blake is on my list, I just haven't gotten around to it.

DD 8/1/2009
    DS 4/12/2013
    TTC in 2017 (maybe)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"