High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Any meal advice for a new GD?

I failed my 3hr GTT today :(  I have a 3 year old and a hubby and we live VERY hectic lives so I'm looking for ideas for food that would work for my new diet as well as my family.  I don't go to the dietitian & endocrinologist until next week so I'm looking for good tips to tide me over.  TIA!
Mama to
Caden Reese - 8/1/06
Mackenzie Jo - 10/9/09

Re: Any meal advice for a new GD?

• Options

When making meals, try to make meat (protein) the big thing. I usually make BBQ chicken, pork roasts in the crock pot, baked chicken, hamburgers, etc. And then, on the side, have GD friendly veggies like green beans, carrots, zuccini, etc. Potatoes are OK, you just can't have too much of them.

• Options

be careful of what you DRINK.  I've only been testing for a few days, but i've noticed that fruit juice is the one thing that makes my sugar increase significantly.  Dietician said this is because liquids are almost instantly absorbed into the blood.

If you eat a lot of fruit, google a list of high and low-sugar fruits (for example, berries are good - bananas are pretty high in carbs).  That helped me a lot initially too.  Smile

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was told no juices. They're high in sugar....

Water and unsweet tea, an occasional diet soda.

• Options
    I stay away from the juice as well. Meals include a lot of grilled meats, veggies, stone fruits (peaches, nectarines, plums), and eggs. Snacks for me include the South Beach High Protein Cereal Bars, sugar free Jell-o and pudding cups, small pieces of fruit, crackers & cheese or peanut butter...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm new to this too. So far I've been able to eat pretty much all my normal things, just watching it with the carbs. So, no cookies :( no juice :( But I have had bread and other carbs with meals and have been okay. Breakfast has been tough for me, no cereal, juice, or toast. The rest of the day, though, I seem fine with sandwiches, noodles, biscuits, crackers. Just in moderation - Not over 45 grams of carbs in one meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"