Preemies

When did your pedi allow solids?

My IUGR preemie has more than doubled her weight, but I know that pedi will not allow her to begin solids at the 4 month (actual) mark.  She is still under 10 lbs, and I expect that she will still be under 10 at her 4 month appointment next week.

Did your pedi have a strict weight minimum, or did he/she also consider actual/adjusted age?

(Her sister is 12 lbs and will likely begin solids before her.  The pedi has already said this.)

Re: When did your pedi allow solids?

• Do you mean 4 months adjusted? The general standard is no solids before 4 months even for term babies. Our pedi recommended we wait until 4 months adjusted, which is what we did. Why do you want to start earlier?
  • It's not that I want to start earlier - it's just that pedi has said in the past that my other (non IUGR) baby will probably start at 5 months (which will be 4 adjusted) but that the IUGR one will likely not start at that time due to her still tiny size. I didn't know if pedis use a recommended weight along with age.

(My preemies had no issues whatsoever other than the one being teeny tiny at birth.)

• Loading the player...
  • At our 4-month appt., the pedi said most likely DS would start at 6 months adjusted (8 mo. actual) but that we would discuss at the 6 month appt.  So at our 6 month, he gave us the go-ahead.  I never heard anything about a weight requirement, but the pedi did say he wanted to make sure DS' GI tract was mature enough to handle solids.  DS is a weight-gain champion and is in the 75% for his actual age, so I guess the pedi felt it was ok.
  • we started at 6 months actual (4 months adjusted). there was no talk of a minimum weight.
  • I wouldn't have WANTED to start solids before 6mo actual and prefered 6mo adjusted. Our Pedi fully agreed. I wouldn't start a full term baby at 4 months much less a preemie.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Our pedi recommends starting solids around 6 months.  They will be 6.5 months actual, 4 months adjusted next time we go back and discuss it.  I think they will be ready at the 6.5 months, but they will also weigh over 15lbs. each.  I have not felt that they were ready at all until recently I am seeing some readiness signs.

• Our pedi allowed solids at 4 months, but I wasn't comfortable giving them until 6 months. There wasn't a weight issue with my DS though. He was a huge preemie.
  • 6 months is the new 4 months in terms of starting solids for full termers so we got the green light from the ped. and nutritionist at 6 months adjusted.

He was showing all the signs of readiness long before that but one has to remember that just because they look and act ready doesn't mean they're little digestive systems are :-)

• Ours said we can come off of the Neosure and start attempting solids at 6 months (4 months adjusted).
    image Alcoholism is not determined by how much you drink or how often, but by negative consequences in your life that do not alter your drinking habits.
  • Thanks for your perspectives, everyone.

My thinking is that the pedi wants her to fill her tummy with nutritious BM rather than "practice" solids.  I'll definitely find out what's the scoop at their four month appt this week.

• Our pedi gave us the go ahead for solids at 4 mos adjusted. We waited until right after they turned 5 mos adjusted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"