Parenting
Options

FB Question - Hide vs Block

I have a few friends on Facebook who I like, but for one reason or another I've decided that I'd rather not see every single update that they post, so I've applied the "Hide" function. This is totally different than "blocking" them, right?

Re: FB Question - Hide vs Block

• Options
    I think so. I've hidden a few of my FB friends' posts, but they still show up in friends list. (Mostly those who don't post anything but quizzes)
    ~Erica, Mommy to Peyton 9/06 & Cullen 9/09
  • Options

Yep, same type deal. They either post quizzes all the time or I don't know them all that well and they constantly update with stuff that I just don't care/know anything about.

I don't want to de-friend or offend them, so I just "hide" them.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Exactly. Honestly, I didn't even know you could block someone, until a few months ago. LOL Big Smile
    ~Erica, Mommy to Peyton 9/06 & Cullen 9/09
  • Options
    dpdwdpdw member

You can "Hide" your FB friends so that their status updates don't show up on your news feed. You "Block" people who are not your FB friends.  If you block a person they can't find you on a search or see you on another person's friends list or see posts you make or photos you post.  Also, if you send them an Inbox message they cannot view your general info (which is typically what any other non-FB friend can see if you send them an Inbox message).

ETA:  This is from Facebook: "If you block someone, they will not be able to find you in a Facebook search, see your profile, or interact with you through Facebook channels (such as Wall posts, Poke, etc.). Any Facebook ties you currently have with a person you block will be broken (for example, friendship connections, Relationship Status, etc.). Note that blocking someone may not prevent all communications and interactions in third-party applications, and does not extend to elsewhere on the Internet.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"