High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Blood Pressure question

I went to the doctor last week and he told me my blood pressure was a little high, 140/90 and told me to come back in a few days to have it checked again.  I did nothing but obsess about it and sure enough when I went back it was about the same and he put me on a very low dose of labetalol (100 mg 2x a day).  I have never had high blood pressure before and of course think I still don't and that it's just stress that caused it to go up.  This has happened before when I wasn't pregnant after being nervous at a doctors visit.  I'm only 15 weeks and now worry that it may lead to worse things.  My doctor isn't worried at all, said it's just a little speed bump and we'll keep checking it and I shouldn't worry because he's not.  He didn't say I was a high risk pregnancy or anything like that.  Anyone else ever experience this??  How do you cope with the added stress?

Re: Blood Pressure question

• Options

I am sort of dealing with the same thing right now or I was. I started having high blood pressure not even that high it prompted my regular dr to do a 24 hour urine which had protein in my urine. They put me on blood pressure meds at first I thought what you thought it was just from being at the dr's and even considered not taking the meds, because at home it seems normal but the bp meds dropped my protein in my urine and my BP for a little bit atleast though which made me realize atleast for me it wasn't just from being at the Dr. For me it helped for a couple weeks, my dr called it chronic hypertension and told me it put me at a higher chance of getting pre eclampsia. Be happy they noticed it now, if it's nothing than no big deal, if it turns into something than they are more ready for that.

As far as coping with added stress you've got me their, for me they think I 'might' have pre-eclampsia now that I'm almost 26 weeks, and I worry. But I also know I'm in good hands with my DR and I have to trust in that.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of your pregnancy.

• Options
    My BP got into the 140's/90's at 17 weeks and has stayed the same ever since (except for a few spikes). Maybe you'll be like me and have it just stay the same! I'm also taking 100mg 2x day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am going through something similiar and it started at 16 weeks for me with borderline BPs and a 24 urine test (I am now 22 weeks with the same borderline BP and negative for protein). I am not on meds yet but my doc has me taking my blood pressure at home 3 times a day and reporting it to her. My blood pressure is always lower at home than when they take it at the office becuse I am so worried it will be too high, hence the at home monitoring. I did not deal with the worry and stress well at first but you just have to realize that its not helping you or the baby at all and make a decision to not let it bother you. Or only let it bother you for 5 minutes a day. I am trying to do that - say to myself "Okay, I am scared and worried and stressed and I can wallow in it for exactally 2 minutes but then it's gotta stop and I have to just move on and do something else."  Distractions help too if you can find them and of course talking about it with others that understand is wonderful too. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!  I really think I'm going to limit myself to 5 minutes a day of worrying and that's it.  My DH also said he's not going to let me go to appointments alone anymore because he thinks I just make things worse and he's probably right.  I am wondering now how accurate the blood pressure machines at pharmacies are because I took mine there while waiting for my prescription to be filled and it was down to 125/76 and this was the same day as my appointment.  Maybe I'll ask next Friday at my next appointment. 
  • Options
    I'd strongly recommend buying an at-home digital cuff, taking it twice a day, and then showing your dr. the log when you go.  This is what I have to do.  I'm not on meds yet but they think I will probably need them in a couple months.  I completely understand how scary it is...DH wasn't at my appt. with me when this cropped up and I totally freaked out.  Of course my dr. didn't help either, talking about how maybe I needed to cut back on work, etc.  I felt it was a serious overreaction on her part given that it was barely high and that she didn't have much history to go on.  She sent me to a perinatologist and he acted like it was no big deal, just told me to monitor it myself, and that they will do blood work at 20 weeks to check liver and kidney function and probably the 24 hour urine too.  If you monitor it yourself you can look for patterns.  I'm a little surprised they would give you the medication but not tell you to do this.
  • Options

Do invest in an at home cuff, it will be worth it.  The same thing started for me at 16 weeks, I was put on the same dosage of Labetalol.  Around 30 weeks they had to double my dosage, and then two weeks ago at 34 weeks I was increased to 1200mg/day!   I now have pre eclampsia, with protein in my urine.  I will be induced next week between 36 and 37 weeks. 

It is a lot of added stress, but just know that it's good that they will be keeping a close eye on you, and everything will be fine.  Everything has been great with the baby and he is growing right on track, none of this has phased him so try not to worry, I know it's hard!  If you have any questions about my experience let me know!

• Options

I had high blood pressure before i got pg but my dr knew that we wanted a baby after our wedding(8 wks away) so she put me on labetalol 100 mg 2xa day. I try really hard to keep my stress levels down so that my blood pressure stays down. Maybe try monitoring it at home also?

• Options
    I agree with all the recommendations to get a cuff to use at home.  I got one several weeks back when my BP seemed to get a little higher.  I also thought it was just the stress of appointments.  I take my BP at home every day and keep a log to bring to my appointments.  Might help keep them from upping your medication or even get you off of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"