Parenting after a Loss

Serving expressed breast milk

Hi Ladies -

I have been pumping and bottle feeding my LO and was unsure of how I should be serving him the milk. I know you're not supposed to microwave or boil it so my DH and I have been sitting a chilled bottle in a cup of warm water to take the chill off.

Does anyone have a better/more efficient way to get breast milk to room temp? Is it safe to prepare a bottle and sit it out (assuming it's just on the counter and not outside in the hot sun or anything).

TIA!

Re: Serving expressed breast milk

• You can actually leave freshly pumped breastmilk out for hours (4 or so; I can't remember the exact number but look it up).  I used to pump and leave it out and he would drink on it.  It worked out really well. Breastmilk is not like cowsmilk. It has special enzymes that actually kill bacteria when it sits at room temperature.  Now it does not apply to refrigerated or frozen milk.  That has the same shelf life as cows milk when defrosted or warmed.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• We put the bottle in a bowl in the sink and let hot water run over it until it had reached the desired temp.
  • Loading the player...
  • You can keep freshly expressed BM at room temp for 10 hours according to Kellymom.com and Lansinoh. Warming BM in water works and is pretty quick. You could buy a bottle warmer as well.
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since your LO seems to be a newborn you can leave it on the counter since he will eat so often.  We have an electric kettle that boils water quickly and we dunk the bottle in hot water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"