Parenting after a Loss

Mamas who had GD

My doctor informed me today that he feels I had a case of undiagnosed gestational diabetes toward the end of my pregnancy with DD... which might be one reason she was 7 lbs 9 oz at 36 weeks when she was born.

With this pregnancy he said he wants me to only gain around 15 lbs (yikes!  I gained about 40 last time) and is having me meet with a nutritionist to go over a meal plan.  What does the GD diet look like?  I'm nervous now!

Re: Mamas who had GD

• the gd diet wasn't as hard as i thought it would be once i got over my cravings for sweet things and carb overloads.  a big part of the diet is eating 3 meals and 3 snacks each day.  i couldn't eat fruit before the afternoon and i absolutely had to eat a snack with protein before going to bed or my morning sugars were too high.

i generally had a cheese omelet for breakfast (occasionally had sausage with it).  i found i could typically eat one piece of wheat toast and still be okay too. 

for a morning snack i had rice cakes with peanut butter and sometimes a string cheese (i ate a LOT of string cheese)

for lunch i either had a salad with grilled chicken or humus and carrots (i had to make sure to portion the carrots though because they are a bit higher in carbs than other veggies).

afternoon snack was generally a piece of fruit and maybe some almonds or string cheese.

dinner was anything that wasn't completely carbs.  so i ate a lot of chicken, pork chops, and beef.  i made sure to have veggies with it and maybe a half portion of carbs like rice. 

evening snack was generally rice cakes with peanut butter and a string cheese. 

• Once you figure out what you can eat and how much it's not to hard. I was still able to eat ice cream and pastas. It was all in moderation and limiting the amount you ate. I made sure to eat more veggies and protein.

Eggs, cottage cheese, cheese...more cheese, nuts, lots of peanut butter,  meats. 

I made sure to have protien with everymeal to help balance things out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"