Northern California Babies

Any tips for swelling??

So I have avoided swelling up till now...Still not too bad I can wear my wedding band but thats it...and not always by the end of the day.

But its kinda rapidly getting worse, the carpal tunnel thing came out of nowhere...Pooping on the table no surprise...but pregnancy induced carpal tunnel who woulda thunk it!

So any tips? And if you say no lean pockets I will cry (while eating a lean pocket)!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
br
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Any tips for swelling??

• Cut out salt, walk, drink lots of water. 
  • Lots water, hot showers & baths, keep your feet up

Also, at about 30 weeks I just took my rings off and wore them around my neck on a chain. My hands never swelled, but I did not want to get that far.

• Loading the player...
  • imagesoon2Bkranz:

And if you say no lean pockets I will cry (while eating a lean pocket)!

you are SO funny.  Hilarious.  Hope you feel better, swell less, and can still eat your lean pockets.  :)  Which pocket is your poison, anyway?? :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageAng&Garrett:
    Cut out salt, walk, drink lots of water. 

This.  Seems so weird to drink water as it seems counter-intuitive, but it helps.  I didn't get "swelly" until the last few weeks and it was mostly in my feet.  I found the days when I was good at keeping my water intake up, the better my feet were at the end of the day.

• The very best thing you can do for swelling is swim!  The water surrounding your body re-regulates your fluids and you don't swell as much.  It got to the point that I HAD to swim everyday or else I was wildly uncomforable.  Even just sitting in the pool would help... eating a lean-pocket in the pool would probably work best!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Soaking in epsom salt! My dad who is a martial arts instructor swears by this.
  • imageAng&Garrett:
    Cut out salt, walk, drink lots of water.?

yikes - that def included?the?lean pockets ;-) most things frozen are FULL of sodium. Although to be honest Ive heard?mixed?stuff about salt &?swelling.

But besides that I hear rest can help too???

• oooh did you already see this ---->

The following factors may also affect swelling:Summertime heatStanding for long periods of time"Long" days of activityDiet low in potassiumHigh level of caffeine consumptionHigh level of sodium intake

?I never heard the?potassium?part ... how about (another) huge glass of water and a banana. ;)

• I'd do a bath with the epsom salt every night and get in a pool or hot tub as often as you can.  Yes, I did say hot tub, best if it's a private one and not at the health club (theirs are hotter than people normally have at home).  I talked about this in depth with my MFM doc (because we have a hot tub and I wanted to know the really deal) and she told me the heat worry of hot tubs is in the first tri because too much time in a hot tub can cause issues with neural tube formation but once it's formed you are good to go.  I even got cleared for 1st tri hot tubbing if the water wasn't over 103 and I didn't stay in until I was red and sweating like mad.
  • imageStefandTodd:
    imagesoon2Bkranz:

And if you say no lean pockets I will cry (while eating a lean pocket)!

you are SO funny.  Hilarious.  Hope you feel better, swell less, and can still eat your lean pockets.  :)  Which pocket is your poison, anyway?? :)

Oh honey...there cannot be a favorite with this high caliber of food!! Really there are no bad options! But I am partial to the ham/ turkey chedder combo!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • As someone who is on a permanent low-sodium diet, limit yourself to 2000 mg a day... most people can do this by using salt in preparation OR at the table. Not both.

Sorry, but Hot/Lean Pockets probably have lots of sodium... most convenience foods do. Allow yourself one occassionally, but keep in mind what else you're eating that day.

Keep your feet up, try not to overheat, drink lots of water.

• I took my rings off a long time ago. I am not that swollen but they just didn't fit properly and I didn't want to get to the point where I had to have them cut off. As far as the other tips, I think the PP covered them all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was pretty swollen from about 5 months on...things that helped: elevating my legs/feet as much as possible, swimming, low salt, and lots and lots of water. Oh, and I also had to wear the lovely compression stockings but try to avoid those if you can. Wink
  • definitely cut out the salt...you'd be surprised at how much salt is in things! Check the labels for things like ketchup, frozen veggies, any frozen entry, taco seasonings, hot sauces, etc.  I had horrible swelling my whole pregnancy and couldn't wear my shoes or my rings from about 12 weeks on and was always watching sodium (look out for cheeses and pepperoni too).  It sucks.

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • From what I remember from last time my midwife told me to eat lots of watermelon, celery, mung bean (I like the mung bean sprouts, just known as sprouts, really), drink lots of water, and seriously reduce the amount of sodium intake (like has been mentioned).  Here's what I found on mung beans (sprouts):

Traditional Chinese medicine maintains that mung beans have a "heat-clearing, toxin-resolving" effect that eases conditions such as diarrhea and painful swelling.  

Oh yes, my midwife was a british lady who worked in china as a midwife for about 15 years. She was awesome! 

However, being pregnant in the summer really just makes the swelling worse when you're that far along. Thus, I will never be big and pregnant in the summer again (uuh, if I can help it Wink! It was miserable with the carpal tunnel. Hope you can find some relief!

• I haven't had any swelling at all. In fact my rings are quite lose still now. It might have to do with the following:

1) Lots of exercise - I still run every day

2) Lots of water

3) Low sodium

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"