Parenting after a Loss

Ladies- I'm pretty stressed and down...

And I don't know what to do... If you've been reading my posts this past week, you would have read that DD stopped taking bottles. She was doing fine with them but we haven't given her one since the end of June b/c I was pretty much always with her. Well since last Friday we have tried and she will not take one.(We have done everything that they recommend to do) It has put a pretty big damper on my vacation. I was hoping to go on the boat at least 1 or 2 days but since she won't take a bottle, I can't leave her. We will not take her b/c they go out lobstering and fishing and are too far out and out for too long. I can't go out at night b/c I have to feed her every 2-3 hrs and she is nowhere near STTN. Pretty much since she's been born- almost 4 months ago- I've only had one night where I got to sleep for a 6 hr stretch.

Other than that I pretty much live my life on 2-3 hour intervals. I love Taylor more than anything in the world but I feel like I am close to having a breakdown. My family is supportive but at the same time I think that they all might think it's funny that DD won't take a bottle. It's at the point for me where it is really not funny at all and just as me completely stressed out. Everyone is out and about in Key West and Taylor and I are at our condo. I just was bawling crying. I don't even know what to do. I would just love one night where I could completely enjoy myself and get a good night's sleep.

To top everything off that I am already stressed about, I go back to work in two weeks (I'm a teacher) so I will have all that stress also.

If you got this far- thank you. I don't really know what I want from this post. I just needed to get everything off my chest.

Re: Ladies- I'm pretty stressed and down...

• Are you the one giving her the bottle.  I ahve heard that it is not a good idea for hte BFing mom to give the bottle.
  • ok, so this is advice from someone whose baby wouldn't take a bottle at all for a long time.  go out.  give yourself a break.  if she gets hungry enough, she will eat.  you will feel better after a little you time and it will be good for taylor to have you happy rather than stressed.  i'm not suggesting to leave her for the whole day or night, but for a few hours.  i wish i had taken this advice sooner than i did.  it might have made me a happier mom earlier on.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am really sorry. I hope it gets better. Don't give up on the bottle. She will eventually take it. Things do get better. I would say that at 6 mos things started to get a lot easier.
  • imagemoniquitta:
    Are you the one giving her the bottle.  I ahve heard that it is not a good idea for hte BFing mom to give the bottle.

No. My mom, DH, and my sister have all tried.

I called my pedi and told them what was going on and they referred me to Central FL Breastfeeding Center and the Florida Hospital. I spoke with two LC's and we have tried doing what they told us and DD won't budge.

• I'm sure you're probably tired of advice but May does have a good point as well as moniquitta!!

:::BIG HUGS::: I hope she takes one soon.

PS Have you tried different bottles?? Does she take a pacifier?

~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
    12.6.07 CP at 5w
    5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
    8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
    BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
    3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
    4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
    4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
    10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
    10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
    BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby
    Life During and After RPL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJessMike07:

I'm sure you're probably tired of advice but May does have a good point as well as moniquitta!!

:::BIG HUGS::: I hope she takes one soon.

PS Have you tried different bottles?? Does she take a pacifier?

Yes they do!!!

I have tried different bottles. DD has never taken a paci since she was born.

• No bottle advice since I FF but just wanted to send you big hugs.
  • I'm so sorry you are stressed. It is NO fun being the only on a baby relies on.

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I agree with May. It might be time for some "tough love". Leave her with someone else and go out to dinner or something. When she's hungry, she will take that bottle. 

That's just my two cents though and of course its easy for me to say, its not my baby! So tell me to piss off if you want. :-)

• I'm so sorry! That sucks you haven't been able to enjoy your vacation.My DD won't take one either and I have to go back to work next week. But I've heard plenty of stories saying they will eventually eat if hungry enough. My boss said her baby took a week to take one when he went to daycare at first. Big hugs, hope things get better soon!
  • Just wanted to send you a big hug!
  • I dont have any advice bc I also FF but I wanted to give you hugs.  Im really weird, I also have not slept a 6 hr stretch(she sttn but has breathing/congestion issues so i dont sleep ) and its rare when someone else feeds abby bc Mr. Seminole works all the time and very little family nearby.  I jsut wanted to tell you I kinda undertand where you are coming from and Im going through the same thing. I hope she gets used to the bottle soon.  I'd probably go nuts and buy one of every bottle at BRU or something...try them all...
  • jen3jen3 member
    I don't have any good advice either.  I think May has a good point though.  I just wanted to give you ((((((big hugs))))).
  • I agree with May. It really sounds like you need a break! Like the other girls said - all babies will take a bottle when they get hungry enough! No infant will refuse to eat long enough to get dehydrated! She'll be hungry and mad, but that's OK. You could also have someone try to feed her with a syringe or small medicine cup since she is not enjoying the plastic nipples? Good luck!
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • I don't know what to do about getting her to take the bottles, but just wanted to say HUGS!  Hope she takes one soon and you can get some rest on your vacation!!
  • Hi,

I don't post much, but our babies are close to the same age.  My dd is just 4 months.  She only recently started taking a bottle...  I also work in a school and go back to work in two weeks.  Ugh!  

One thing we tried was to start nursing then once she got a couple gulps down de-latch and then immediately pop the bottle in her mouth.  

I'm sure you've already tried all this however, things we tried:

Made sure the milk/formula was at the right temp.

Make sure your milk hasn't turned rancid ( I've had this problem, though I've heard it is not too common) 

I completely understand how stressful this can be! 
    Hugs to you! 

Good luck!!!

• I agree with pp that baby will take a bottle when she is really hungry. And I can totally relate to your fatigue and stress. I actually spent a night in a hotel when LO was about 3 months just so I could get one night of uninterrupted sleep. (DH stayed with our daughter.) It made a world of difference. And once she was hungry enough, she did take the bottle.?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"