Austin Babies

s/o: nights without DC

We've also been invited to the Turks & Caicos in September for a wedding.  She'd be about 12 weeks and would stay with my parents if we go.  Is it unreasonable to think we could do this?

How old was your DC the first time you spent a night away from him/her?  multiple nights away?

Re: s/o: nights without DC

• I'm not the right person to ask but I just have to say your siggy pic is absolutely freakin' adorable!

DD is 9 months old and I'll be away for 3 days/2 nights...

• I'm sure your baby would be fine...we have been leaving DS with all different family members this week due to weird daycare circumstances and it's no problem!  So long as he's fed and cared for, he could care less.  I think once they get closer to 5-6 months they start to really bond to one person (so I've heard).  This might be that I'm away from DS every day though (I work full time) so he's not around me 24/7 though.  But so far this week DS has spent a day with my mom and grandma, my dad, my brother, etc.  He's been totally fine! 

One other think to think about is that your daughter might start to become aware of her surroundings at that point. 

Also, I think this would probably be harder on you than your little girl!!! :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think your DD would be fine but would you? DH and I finally left DD with my parents for a few hours last Friday so we could go on a date night. It was hard. We have scheduled several then canceled. We have no issues leaving her at daycare every day though..I don't know why I feel differently about those situations..I guess because I don't have a choice during the day..I have to work.

It's definitely going to be your call. How long is the trip?
  • My sister left her BARELY 4 month old son with family for 4-5 days so she could attend my destination wedding, and she called home daily.  It was hard on her, but she swears she wouldn't have done it differently.

We left our DS with family around 2 months for 4 days so that we could have a weekend trip out of town.  He was fine, and we were fine.  We missed him dearly, and we thought about him all the time, but it was REALLY good for us to go be "normal" people together.  We had 3 date nights and some unforgettable memories on that trip.  Breckin is 4.5 now, and we STILL have a hard time being away from him for extended periods of time, but I think it's good for all of us for many different reasons.

You can totally do it - it's a matter of whether or not you'll choose to or if YOU will be ready.  Your daughter will be fine.

• It definitely can be done. But for us, there was no way.  DD wasn't STTN (up several times for feeding) and I was bfing. There is no way I could have pumped enough milk to be out of town plus the thought of dumping all that milk while I was on vacation is horrible. At 12 weeks, we really could not have left her for several days.  A night - maybe. Severla days - no. 

DD was 6-7 months old the first time I left her for a night.  She and DH did fine.  I was pumping though and it was a pain to deal with.  I didn't spend a night away from her again until she was over 12 months.  I've spent many away now and DH and I left her w/ my family in May for a week.  But she is 2.5 so it's different story now.

• DH and I left DD for 3.5 days to attend his sister's (not kid-friendly) wedding.  Granted, had we not gone, two of those days would have been spent at work, so we wouldn't have been with her the entire time anyway. She was 4 months at the time and I missed her soooo much.  She was with my parents, whom I trust completely, so that wasn't the problem.  Neither of us really enjoyed ourselves.  Plus, people kept telling us how they could never have left their baby at that age--did not help at all.  I felt super guilty and still do to this day.  If I had to do it all over again, I would NOT have left her.  At the same time, there's no way she would have been ok going (again, definitely not a baby-friendly wedding).  I should have just stayed home with her.  Of course this is coming from someone who is not coping very well with being away from my baby because I have to work, so take it for what it's worth.

imageimage
  • it could be done, but no i would not have been able to do it.  J is almost 12 weeks and ican not imagine leaving him right now.  he is almost STTN and already gets bottles and formula so that would not be the issue.  i just know i would be miserable and have no fun.

we did leave Abby @ 6.5 months old to go to a non kid friendly dest edding.  it was hard but  we did end up having fun and it was really good for us as a couple.

• I've still not spent a night away from DD, and I don't see it happening any time soon. We have no desire to be away from her, and we've made conscious decisions to live a lifestyle that does not require us to be away from her for extended periods of time (ie, more than a few hours).

DD is very attached to us both, and was especially attached to me in particular at 12 weeks. It would not have been good for any of us to leave her with someone for even one night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"