Stay at Home Moms
Options

What "splurge" will you never give up?

Being a mom we sacrifice so much for our LO's and while it's all worth it because we love our little peanuts, sometimes it's daunting.  This is why I will never give up my gym membership or my expensive hair products. 

First, the gym keeps me sane.  Literally.  You don't want to see what happens if I miss one of my workouts.  Second, I have craptastic hair and although the expensive hair products probably do nothing more than the cheap ones I'm convinced I have to buy the pricey stuff to get it to look halfway decent. 

What are the splurges/items that you won't give up, even if you wanted to save money?

Re: What "splurge" will you never give up?

• Options

I have a gym membership, but I don't use it. Whenever I go, one of the boys gets sick from the gym daycare. When the weather gets cool again, I'm heading back, though. Viruses be damned!

I don't think I have anything splurge-worthy to post. I update my wardrobe each season with a few new things, but that's about it. I do love jewelery (that's the understatement of the year), but when I'm craving a new piece, I sell something I already have to pay for it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

haha- now i am curious what product line do you use? I am a Biolage freak. I was actually surprised though- i used the Suave formula that is made after Biolage and i was really surpried how similar they were. smell, how it left my hair, etc. surprisingly shocked.

trying to think of a splurge that i have- but i am coming up with nothing. i am pretty simple. there has to be something... thinking. lol

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can't give up my Clinique products! Specifically the skin care products I use.. I love my makeup too but since SAH I don't wear it nearly as often as I use to! Wasn't much of a "splurge" when I worked cause it's pretty cheap but for sure is now!
  • Options
    imageStacyc625:

haha- now i am curious what product line do you use? I am a Biolage freak. I was actually surprised though- i used the Suave formula that is made after Biolage and i was really surpried how similar they were. smell, how it left my hair, etc. surprisingly shocked.

trying to think of a splurge that i have- but i am coming up with nothing. i am pretty simple. there has to be something... thinking. lol

Hmmm... I love Biolage!  What is the Suave formula called that is modeled after Biolage?  Where did you find it?  Don't think I've ever seen it before, but I'm very interested! TIA! 

• Options

Even though I'm not officially a mom yet, I haven't been working since June, so here's my splurge - Bare Minerals makeup.  I love the stuff, and it's the only makeup that doesn't make my skin break out!  It's so expensive, and I seem to run out of everything at once!!  Oh well, the price we pay...

• Options
    Pedicures. Nice, long, sleep inducing pedicures. :) lol.  Also, I don't have them done all the time, but tattoos are a huge splurge when I do get them. Quality work is expensive.
  • Options

I found it at all the stores- CVS, Target, Walmart etc

it is a large bottle that costs around 3.00 it says right on the bottle that it is formulated after Biolage

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    pedicures and eyebrow waxing.  i may delay the time in between sessions, but give up totally -  no way!
  • Options
    I refuse to give up my Clinque skin-care products - I do their "three-step" process.  I'm pretty low-maintenance but I can see the difference in my skin when I stop using Clinique.  It's my only beauty splurge.
  • Options
    Yoga lessons and chocolate.  I don't think the two go together so well. Smile  But both make me happy.
  • Options

I don't really have anything that I would say that I splurge on.  I'm pretty low maintenance. 

However, I refuse to buy cheap coffee to make at home.  I will gladly shell out whatever Starbucks coffee costs per package.  I would rather give up coffee all together than have to drink something like Maxwell House.  ((shudders))

• Options
    The gym. I go about 4 times a week and it is "me" time. I feel slovenly when I skip a day (plus it lets me not feel as guilty about all the cheese I eat!)  It is a splurge because I go to a really nice women-only gym, need to pay for daycare sessions there, plus I pay extra for personal training, etc. but it is worth it.
  • Options
    Haircuts.  I was cutting it only like every 12 weeks, and that was not working....my hair looked like crap, I felt like crap, and that's no fun.  So, I've decided that I'm getting my hair cut every 7-8 weeks.  Plus, I'm looking for work (was laid off), so you want to have a decent hair cut if you are interviewing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

* Gym Membership - I will cry the day I have to give it up, but as long as I am using it, DH won't even think about canceling it (even though he doesn't go anymore).

*Haircuts - I have really thick hair and I need someone who is experienced with my hair type. I go to a senior stylist at a big Salon chain and always get a good cut.

As far as hair care products go, I was using "drug store" brand shampoo (Garnier) and my stylist and I have both seen a difference in my hair. I absolutley can not afford to buy the salon stuff. I discovered Sally Beauty Supply carries a "generic" brand that is formulated the same as the Salon Brand, only it's dirt cheap. I have been using it for a while and love it.

• Options
    I don't know if I have any!  I get my hair cut only when necessary, color my hair myself, only get spa treatments with DH pays for it (as in a gc). 
  • Options

name brand toilet paper!

anything else (the eyebrow waxes, haircuts, etc) i do now, but would give up if necessary. i'd eat ramen every day before i bought cheap tp. sue me.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I refuse to give up my Lush products:  moisturizer, shower gel, soaps, etc.  I don't care how much they cost, they're MINE :-)
  • Options

cable TV

We tried the antenna route- (still use it in the basement for the TV i watch on the treadmill) but I love my FiOS!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Highlights and good lip gloss.  I don't spend a lot of money on clothes or really much else, so I don't feel bad that I splurge on those two things.
  • Options
    MAC make up and gym membership!!! Never!!
  • Options
    hair cuts and facial waxing. I get it done every 3 months now and try to maintain in between but I could never completely give it up.
  • Options
    Starbucks and Sephora!
  • Options
    imageStacyc625:

I found it at all the stores- CVS, Target, Walmart etc

it is a large bottle that costs around 3.00 it says right on the bottle that it is formulated after Biolage

Thanks! 

• Options

-Cable (DH and I tried it but we reactivated it almost a month later!)

-Cover Girl Outlast lipstick $8.  I don't know that this is really a splurge but I know there are cheaper lipsticks out there.

-My jazzercise classes---I don't know that I can really count this because I work three hours a week there and take that money to pay the monthly fee.  If I didn't work there I know I really wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

-Eating out at a nice restaurant with DH at least once a month (we enjoy this time together!)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options

Definitely the gym, we just upgraded this week for the better daycare and pool.

Now that we have a cleaning service, I don't think I could go back to not having one.

• Options

I'm chiming in late, but...

1. monthly mani/pedi--an absolute must!

2. keeping my hair highlighted--it's how I manage to look like I'm still in my twenties at 38

3. grass-fed or organic meat--I can't stomach either the meat or the farm practices I'd be supporting with the cheaper meat

• Options
    Haircut/highlights.  My hair use to suck and my stylist has done great things for it!  Plus we knew each other before she became my stylist so it's always a good girl chat session with NO kids interrupting and I come out with great hair...can't beat thatSmile
    DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I only buy Bare Essentials make-up.  The rest makes me feel slimy and gross.  But it lasts a very long time so I rarely buy it.

We also have internet lol.  We've had to cut a lot of things out, but we decided internet was staying.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I don't want to give up all the little things that make me feel like "me"...and on a superficial/purchase level that means getting mani/pedis, getting my hair done, shopping, and just spending a few hours each week away from the hubby and DS to clear my mind.  If these things negatively impacted them somehow, then of course my priorities would change, because having a happy family is also a large part of what makes me "me".  The only thing I could see myself always needing is some time to myself here and there to reset.
    Moved to Maple Valley, Washington January 2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd never give up weekly housekeeping service.  If I had to clean the house myself, I'd be headed right back to work! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"