Alabama Babies

Getting Out...

When did you start getting out with your LO? We had a doctors apt. today and his doctor said to wait two months before getting him out and going back to church. That seems like forever to me. I really feel like my heart just sank when he said that. I am ready to get out of the house and start doing somethings with my little man! Just wondering when you started venturing out of the house with your little one.

Re: Getting Out...

• My friend just had a newborn in May and I know she didn't wait two months. That seems a bit much to me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had my first in December so we waited 5 or 6 weeks before really taking her out, but I had my second in April and pretty much had her out after a couple of weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • BTW, our pedi told us the church nursery and the gym daycare were the worst two places for little ones to pick up something so you may want to keep that in mind, but I don't think there is any harm in you two getting out and doing other things.  Staying in the house will make you go crazy!
  • Wow, two months?!  We went out to lunch for Father's Day and to Target when our LO was 4 days old.  I've consistently had him out since. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've always heard 2 months and have thought that was a really long time.  I will probably wait a month.
  • I think the whole thing with "getting out" is that they want you to be cautious about exposing your LO to germs at such a young age.   However, I think there are plenty of places you can go (especially outside in the fresh air) without worrying about germy hands touching your baby or baby touching germy things.  We took Jenna to an outside mall when she was about 10 days old just to get out of the house - it's necessary for your sanity!
  • We didn't wait hardly at all. My parents were here from Houston and we went to church (obviously, she stayed with me the whole time...no nursery), lunch a few times, shopping at Bridgestreet, etc...
  • We took DD out several times the first week, but part of that was because we were taking her back to the hospital for visits to the lactation consultant. But, her first trip to Target was when she was a week old.

After about two weeks we were taking her everywhere. Her first trip to church was at 17 days old. But, I kept her covered with a blanket and she was asleep on my chest the whole time.

When we go to church we still take her to sunday school with us and don't take her to the nursery quite yet. Like the pp, I've heard the nursery is one of the top places to catch bugs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Wow two months seems a bit extreme.  I'll probably wait a little bit because mine is due around when flu season begins but I don't think I could stay home for two solid months.  We plan on going back to church when I feel better but keeping the baby with us for a little bit before putting her in nursery.  I think getting out is a sanity saver for mom. 
  • 2 months seems like a lot...especially with it being summer.  We started getting out little around 2 weeks.  Our first trip to church was when she was 3 weeks old.  I just kept her in her car seat and didn't let people hold her. 

I would not have survived if I had to sit at home for 2 months.

DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
    BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
    BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
    Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
    BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
    Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
    IVF or adoption??
  • I think 2 mos. is a bit much. When DS was just at 2 weeks old, we took him to eat dinner with us. He stayed in his carrier the whole time and slept with a blanket over the carrier. I think we took him to church the first time at 4 or 5 weeks but he went with us to our Sunday School class and again, slept in his carrier the whole time. I don't think we took him to the church nursery until he started daycare at 3.5 mos.
  • I had DD in January and was advised to stay in...but my best friend has a two week old and her pedi (which is also mine) told her it was fine to go ahead and go out since it is not flu and cold season.
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know this is late but we too took DD out way before 2 mos. At 1 week old DH talked me into going to the mall just to get out but we kept her in the carrier with a blanket over it the whole time. At 2 weeks we took her to church with us, no nursery, and the pedi fussed at us. Even though no one held her they did want to see her. These 2 elderly ladies came real close to her and then one of them started coughing. I was freaking out but what do you say? Thankfully she was fine. Pedi told me kids and elderly people are the ones who carry the most germs.

Good luck and remember you have to keep your sanity!

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I went out with Avery but not to really crowded places.  I LOVED my baby ktan carrier -it allowed me to keep Avery close to me so not too many people could touch her.

I would take her to the grocery store or target - or maybe to some restaurants here and there 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"