Success after IF

Single Embryo Transfer Success Stories

Hi girls,

I miss hanging out here.  I hope everyone is doing well and that I can join you again soon. I'm gearing up to do a frozen transfer in a few weeks and I need to decide whether to transfer 1 or 2 embies.    With my successful IVF cycle we transfered 2 and only ended up with one baby.  But even with the one I still had PTL and ended up losing our daughter.  My peri thinks that if we ended up with twins it would be fine.  I'll be carefully watched and probably on bedrest if I get pregnant anyway so he says to go ahead and transfer 2.  But my RE is nervous for us and suggests just transferring one.   

I'm nervous about not getting pregnant this cycle and having to repeat the process month after month.  So I'd rather up my chances and put in 2.  But I'm a little nervous about the risk of putting in 2 and both sticking or even ending up with triplets.  There is no way my body can handle 3 if it has trouble with 1!!  :  (

Anyway, sorry to ramble but I really just want to know that it can work with 1 embie.  I know it worked for Schmoodle but are there any others out there.  TIA 

Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Single Embryo Transfer Success Stories

• There's another former SAIF'r who doesn't post much anymore who did a SET with success on the first try. Good luck!
    Unexplained. IVF#2 worked! Beta at 10dp6dt = 154, Beta at 13dp6dt = 603 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry for your loss :( I just wanted to share that on my first IVF we only transferred 1 embryo (as our RE recommended) and it worked and I am 5 weeks along with our baby :) I know that success rates with FET aren't as high, so if it was me and if we go through that with our 2nd child I will probably transfer 2, but that's completely up to you and your dr. I would only do what you feel comfortable with.  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think Radler did and maybe GermanWife2be (something like that). Hoping for the best for you, whatever you decide. Interesting re: your doctor's opinions, ours were the opposite (RE seemed ok with 2 but MFM strongly urged us to transfer 1 - at which point RE agreed).
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • imageschmoodle:
    I think Radler did and maybe GermanWife2be (something like that). Hoping for the best for you, whatever you decide. Interesting re: your doctor's opinions, ours were the opposite (RE seemed ok with 2 but MFM strongly urged us to transfer 1 - at which point RE agreed).
     I wish my doctors agreed.  I think my RE just wants to be super careful because she doesn't want me to back there again with another loss on our hands.  She cried when I came back to see her so I feel like she is as very emotionally invested in this so that adds to her not wanting to take the chance of multiples.  
    Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • RadlerRadler member

I did have success on the first IVF/ICSI transferring one embryo. My clinic has very high success with SET. You might ask your RE whether he/she keeps those statistics and whether they can give you an estimate of the chance of success for your situation in particular. My clinic's high success rate with SET helped us make our decision.

I wish you all the best that your cycle goes quickly and successfully. This is a tough decision under any circumstances and I can imagine it's agonizing for you. I'll be rooting for you!

After 7 failed IUIs, IVF w/ ICSI worked!!

I am thankful every day for my miracle after infertility.

And thrilled to be pregnant again after FET!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I just wanted to say hello and tell you I think of you often. I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming FET and can't wait to have you back on the board.
  • Echloe-

First off, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine how hard this decision must be when you've experienced such a devastating loss. 

On our 1st IVF we xferred 2 embies and were very blessed with twins.  When we back for #3 we xferred 1.  We knew it was a risk but the RE felt that because both embies took the first time around, we'd could easily encounter a similar scenario with the FET.  (As much as I love my twins, I don't think I could have 4 babies under 2.. financially it would be crippling.) 

The decision must be incredibly difficult to make, especially when your Dr's have divergent opinions.  I wish you luck with your decision and with the procedure.  Just wanted to give you another success story of xferring 1 emby during a FET.

Nicol

• Hi Echloe - I am so so sorry for your loss.

I transferred one on my first cycle and succeeded (a 3dt) - my DD is now 9 months old.  We also just did our first FET since we are TTC #2 and transferred a single frozen embie which will hopefully stick.

Good luck!

• Hi Echloe!

I think of you often!  I'm so happy that you are at the point of doing a FET and can get back over here :)  

Can you decide if you want to transfer one or two depending upon the quality of the embryo's once they are thawed?  I have no idea how the timing works but if they thawed one and the quality was just okay, could they thaw another one in time for the transfer?  

GL with the transfer and with whatever you decide to do.  I will be looking for updates on you! 

• I did a single embryo transfer as well. We actually had only one egg fertilize...thank goodness it was all we needed. :)
  • thhthh member

We chose to transfer a single embryo on our first IVF cycle as well b/c my sister had a really, really rough twin pregnancy.   It was successful and we have a beautiful baby boy, and we plan to do a single embryo FET soon as well b/c we would prefer not to have twins AND my water broke really early with my first one (29 weeks). 

My doctor said that the success rates aren't significantly better for double transfers -- I think it was only a difference of a few percentage points.

• I only had one embryo to put back, and it worked! Good luck!
    Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
    Early loss 10/08
    Lap 1/09
    IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
    Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
    Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
    IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
    IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
    IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
    One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
    DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
    DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
    10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
    DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
    2 frosties but don't know what's next
    FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!
  • We only had one fertilize and so that was all we had to transfer.  Worked for us!  Good luck with your decision, I know it's a hard one.  
    After THREE years, our IVF miracle is here!!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Hi! It worked for us! We just transfered one! GL!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"