Working Moms
Options

Are any of you the "sole breadwinner"?

Well, DH was laid off last night and his last day of work will be next Friday.  I am so not ready to be the sole breadwinner.

Please don't flame me because "men have always had that pressure" yadda, yadda...I know all of that.  Right now I'm just freaked out and scared and I need to get it out to someone.

I've always made more money than he did, which was no big deal to either of us, but I don't know how I'm going to handle not having someone to back me up financially.  I've done it on my own most of my life, but it's a whole new ballgame with the four of us (I also have a step-son.)

Anyone else dealing with this?  Tell me it's not all that bad Tongue Tied How do you deal with it emotionally?  I don't want to lay all of my fears on DH right now because I know he's feeling terrible, too, and I feel like I need to be strong (but I don't feel that way.)

Re: Are any of you the "sole breadwinner"?

• Options
    My DH has been laid off since 3 weeks before DS was born, it has been tough and knowing that I HAD to go back to work sucked but we make it work, DH is now home with DS so that made going back to work easier and we just hope he will be going back to work soon, you make the best of it.  GL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

like you i have always made more than dh but very early this year he was laid off and its been just me since.

we downsized as much as we could and i have been able to stay on top of all our bills and everything but since we had a lot of cc debt i didnt feel like i was making a dent as far as getting balances down so that was a little stressful. dh finally started working again this month and im crossing my fingers it works out because im about to go on maternity leave soon and we will be screwed if neither of us is bringing anything in for a bit.

it was hard for the both of us while he wasnt working and i could tell he felt really shiity about the whole situation but it was out of our hands and as much as i tried not to, i did vent to him about how i felt really stressed/pressured about making it work on my income alone. somehow we managed.

mostly i talked to my mom about it when i felt like it was too much for me. she just listened and never said anything about dh. she reminded me that i needed to be strong if not for him for the LO i have coming.

you will figure out something that works for you guys and hopefully he is able to find something soon.

good luck. im sure you will pull through just fine

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same here being making more than DH but now DH is on Disability so its just me bringing in the money at the moment, and well it is stressful.. But you do what you gotta do to make it work... I am petrified right now.. but i am trying to turn a negative into a positive.. Me and my husband wrote up a budget sheet which has helped... and we work for the same company and they have helped us out alot with extra hours when needed which is so awesome of them!! It sucks being the only one working... and i have been begging to be a SAHM... but right now its not an option... Everything will work out for you! and Talk to your husband share with him it might make you feel better to not keep all the stress your bearing to yourself... especially if part of the stress is that you dont want to make him feel bad by telling him your scared! You guys will pull through and everything will be A OK!! Good Luck! Dont worry and keep your chin up!! Good luck to your hubby too i hope he is able to find a great job quickly!   
  • Options

I spent the first 4 years of my marriage as the sole breadwinner while DH finished graduate school. Before DD it was fine and I could have cared less, but I did find it extremely stressful when we got pregnant and then DD arrived. Honestly, my first instinct wasn't to discuss it with DH because I didn't want him to feel guilty about finishing school while I brought home the bacon, but eventually I had to talk to him about it. It wasn't easy, but sharing my stress with him about having all of the financial burdens on my shoulder made our marriage much stronger in the long term. It was hard to learn to talk about money this way with him, but we learned how and we made it work and when DH started working when DD was 2 1/2 he was much better prepared to handle some of the stress that comes with knowing that your paycheque is there to support more than just you.

Good luck!

• Options
    Well, I'm not the sole breadwinner and hopefully you won't be either, thanks to unemployment benefits.  DH gets about $1400 a month and that helps us bridge the gap.  I was very panicked at first, but now it's been a while and we just spend less money.  Very little dining out, mostly chilling at home.  Once the panic subsides, you'll be fine!  I also went to free counseling at work for a couple of sessions to vent a bit without stressing my DH out further. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, ladies.  That's a good idea about the free counseling.  Our benefits have two free sessions a year, but I never would have thought about that until you said something.  I know we will get through it, but it's a scary situation.
  • Options
    He should get unemployment benefits also!  Look into that ASAP.  Will you pull your baby out of daycare then, and Dad can stay home for awhile?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Don't worry - I'm sure you'll make an awesome breadwinner!!
  • Options
    Yes, it is hard!  I have always made more than DH and now he has been laid off since April.  We are struggling and I try not to stress him out about it but it is hard to find a place to vent to.  I do vent to my mom when I need someone to talk to.  I don't know if venting to DH would help or hurt us so I am hesitant to do so.  He feels terrible and is looking so I don't want to add more pressure to him but at the same time I feel incredible pressure and anxiety also becuase I am in this situtation with him but I don't have any control over it because HE is the one looking for a job etc. not me. I have spoken to him about letting me help him look search job posts and write cover letters etc. because it seems to give me some sense of control over this, like I feel like I am contributing positive energy to the situtation rather than just spinning negative feelings around in my head.  I think making a budget, finding out how long and how much benefits he will receive, work out your daycare and such will make you feel more settled about the situtation.  I try hard to keep thinking that going thorough this is not for nothing, and we will be better off when he does find something. 
  • Options
    I have been the breadwinner, not quite the sole breadwinner though.  DH worked nights and weekends, maybe 15 hours a week and I teach, so it was very hard for us finacially.  We did this by choice though.  We wanted one of us to be home with DS for at least a year.  I had better benefits and made more money so I worked.  It has been hard for me emotionally.  I really wanted to be the one staying at home.  I wanted him to have the great job and be able to support his family.  I feel that he didn't try hard enough to get a decent job, and he's still working on it.  I won't lie, it has been hard, but I think your situation is different.  Your DH might find a new job quickly.  You will get through it and it will make you stonger for it.
  • Options

DH was laid off in Feb, and like the pp pointed out, I am not the sole breadwinner, thanks to unemployment benefits. When those run out, we will be hurting, but so far we have been managing ok. This whole experience of DH getting laid off has changed us for the better. Here are a few examples.

1. Not paying for day-care. Pulled DD out the first week, she stays-at-home with DH. Saving us $500/mo. Also saving us a huge amount in MD visits because DD does not get sick all the time anymore.

2. Time: No more getting DD up for day-care, getting her dressed and packing up and getting ready. Also I don't mind putting in extra hours since DH is home with her and I know she is well taken care of and not sitting there waiting for me to pick her up from DC.

3. Cutting back: DH makes dinner about everynight and he eats at home now instead of going out to lunch. We have saved probably $200-$300 mo just on groceries.

Good luck, there are a lot of people in your situation so don't try to do it alone. I did tell some of my coworkers and surprisingly I found a lot of other people in my office the same situation as we are in. They have been a helpful resource to me as well.

• Options
    I've pretty much always been the sole breadwinner.  DH stays home with the baby.  DH could never make as much money as it would cost us to pay for childcare and I like the idea that he is looking after the little one rather than taking him to daycare or hiring a nanny (not that we wouldn't do it, its just nice to not have to take him anywhere in the morning and to be able to get a complete report of everything he did that day).  It's hard and I sometimes feel jealous and always feel totally exhausted since I pretty much take over the parenting duties when I get home from work, but try to focus on the good parts (i.e. you husbad can take care of your baby while he is looking for a job!)  Good luck!
  • Options

I have nearly always been this in our marriage.  But it's never bothered me.  I think we saw it coming, given our chosen professions, and so even before we were married we talked about DH staying home once we had kids.

When I was in law school during our first year of marriage, DH was the one working, but since I graduated I have been the one bringing in the bucks.  He does work a little freelance but the amount he makes is relatively small so it's more to keep him sane (or make him crazy, depending on the day) than to pay the bills.

I think once you get used the idea mentally you'll be fine, but I can see how it would be an adjustment and kind of scary at first.  It is a big responsiblity, in a way.  But it's a nice feeling to be providing for your family.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"