Two Under 2
Options

20 m boy and newborn girl to share room. Advice??

We have no choice. Our home purchase fell through and now we're stuck in our 2 bedroom TINY apartment. My LO's will HAVE to share a room. Of course, the new baby girl will be in our room for about 3-4 months. What about after that? My son is a VERY light sleeper. I worry about coming in and out of his room and waking him. I worry that the crying newborn or the night time BF'ing will disturb him. Any tips????

Re: 20 m boy and newborn girl to share room. Advice??

• Options

I have a 2 yrs old and 2 month old that share a room.  I put Jacob (the oldest) to bed first.  Usually Lourdes falls asleep after him anyway, so she goes to bed after him.  When she wakes up for night feedings I usual hop up and get her before she gets too loud and then I bring her in my room to feed and change her.

GL!

• Options

I think you should see how your 20 month old is with the baby and then decide. A lot of kids at that age don't realize that a baby is fragile. I don't trust my 2 year old with the baby and she is the sweetest girl ever. She is very non-aggressive, but she doesn't realize she needs to be gentle with the baby. One time when I had turned around to get on the computer, she had climbed in his crib with him and was sitting on his shoulders, right on top of his neck! Needless to say, we won't be transferring him into her room anytime soon. We also live in a 2 br condo, but he is staying in our room until a) we move or b) he is at least a year old. I just worry that DD could do something that could hurt him even though she doesn't mean to.

Not only that, but my 6 month old still wakes up during the night to nurse. If he was in her room he'd definately wake her up and then none of us would get any sleep between the two of them.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We'll be doing the same thing. DS will be about 22 months when the new baby is born. We're planning on keeping the new baby in our room until probably 4-5 months, then putting them in together. I think a lot of it will just be playing it by ear and seeing what works best for the kids. We will be getting a video monitor so that we can keep an eye on what is going on in the room.

• Options
    Good post. If we have a girl this is pretty much the exact situation we'll be in.
    Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11
  • Options
    I'd get a loud fan to kill the noise and keep baby in a pack and play a little longer. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"