South Florida Babies

NBR: Recomend Your Car/SUV

So we're car shopping since our lease will be up soon. We currently drive the Nissan Murano and LOVE it, but aren't sold on the new one because we don't love the new design, and it lost some trunk/cargo space with the new design. We're looking for something that's roomy and has a nice-sized cargo space (or trunk), we'd like an SUV but are not ruling out sedans yet (especially fuel-efficient ones since I drive roughly 71 miles a day to work!), and we'd like some perks, like sun roof, reverse camera or sensors. I almost seem to think we're asking to much in wanting all that and to remain in the same payments as we were in our Murano. Everything seems more expensive now!!

SO, sell me (verbally) your car! What do you drive? What perks do you have? Do you love it? Hate it? What's the mileage (if you know).

THANKS!

Re: NBR: Recomend Your Car/SUV

• I LOVE my FX35 (same as Murano), but 1) won't be same payment and 2) problem with small trunk.

FIL has the MDX and it is awesome.  It may be out of your range too, but it has a great trunk size (and even possible 3rd row) and drives amazingly.  He also had the previous model of the Honda Pilot and I loved it too!  I love the way Hondas drive.  Plus, I've heard on the radio that they are having a great promotion now on Hondas.

GL

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks!! We hadn't looked at the MDX. We've looked at the Pilot (not too crazy about it), at the Volvo (XC 90 and the new XC 60) and at Toyota (there's a new one, Venza, that's supposed to be a "stationwagon" but looks like a crossover and the mileage was better than the Murano). The problem we're having is that apparently lease programs now SUCK; they used to be better 3 yrs ago. I don't know if it's cuz it's July or because of the economy. So in some cases, it might be better to buy. The other problem is that we LOVE having an SUV, but mileage is obviously better in a sedan, esp a hybrid (we looked at the Camry Hybrid). But, taking trips would be a problem if we were to go with the moms and L and all the luggage and stroller, etc. that entails.

I guess to put it in perspective, the lease programs now would have us paying about $200 more a month for the same exact car we have now ('09 Murano with the same perks). That's crazy!

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know what you pay on the Murano but I have a Mazda CX-9 and I LOVE IT.  I got it will all the perks, back up camera, dvd player, GPS, etc.  It is a great drive and has good trunk space.  It has a third row but if I put that up I don't have much trunk room.  Mazda also has a smaller SUV (CX-7) which I have also heard great things about.

GL!!!

• I LOVE my Honda Pilot. I don't care for the new boxy style though. LOL I have the navigation system with the rear view camera, satellite radio, and a sun roof that I barely use. It's a great ROOMY car though and it rides very smooth.
  • I just got the Mazda CX9 and I love it.  This is coming from someone who had a VW Beetle! 

Check the car out.  It has all the goodies you need. 

• We just leased the Volvo XC60 (turbo version). I have never been a car person and I never thought I could love a car, but if I could divorce my husband and marry this car, I would (just kidding...maybe). DH loves it too. He says that if we won the lotto, he would buy another one just like it in a different color so that we could both have one to drive around every day.

I really think it's perfect for us and the size of our little family. It's a crossover, meaning that it's supposed to be a blend between a regular sedan and an SUV. I was worried at first because I have only ever driven small cars and I thought it would be hard for me to get used to driving and parking an SUV, but this thing drives like a dream and you really feel like you are driving a regular car. It's really smooth. The trunk is a great size. It only has two rows of seating, so I guess if we had more kids maybe something with a 3rd row would have been better - but my dad has the XC90 and to me it feels too huge. I don't think I would be comfortable driving it and trying to park it in crazy Miami shopping mall parking lots on a regular basis. Plus I know people with babies who have bigger SUVs and it seems to be a huge PITA to hoist yourself up the side of the car to be able to get the car seat in and out. This is a perfect height - I feel like I would be able to reach in and out to take the car seat out easily without having to climb up or bend over too much.

The safety features are ridiculous. It's been named the safest car in America by several sources. So of course that makes me feel great about driving the baby around in it. And I think it's gorgeous - we got it in black with black leather interior and you really feel like you are driving a luxury car. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than the comporable Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus trucks, and I happen to like it better. We did a four year lease and I'm super excited to be driving it for the next four years. HTH!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a Jeep Liberty and DH has a Jeep Wranger.  While I love Jeep, they both suck for air conditioning.  Neither one has vents in the back seat.

Our next car will definitely have a/c vents for the back.  I got spoiled by the mini-van that we rented for vacation.  I seriously might become a mini van mom when we can afford a new vehicle.  Stick out tongue

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to agree that the Venza is HOT and I also love the Highlander. If for any reason you want to check it out, page me. I have a great friend that has sold me practically every car I've owned, so you could avoid all the salesman pushy tactics. lol My main concern with a vehicle is that its mechanically a good investment. Being that my father & grandfather have owned a mechanic shop all their life and my DH is an assistant service manager, I have learned a lot about cars along the way. It's car talk 24/7 in my life. Honestly my vote lies in Toyota and Hondas. Best bang for your buck, highly rated vehicles that hold true to there value and mechanically much better parts and body to work on. JMHO
  • I am a mini van mama!! I NEVER in a million years thought I would drive a mini van, but I love it. I have the Honda Odyessy with Navi, Backup Camera, DVD, automatic sliding doors, automatic trunk, etc. Its great with the kids! I press a button and the doors automatically open up. The trunk space is amazing and it is SO deep.?

?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageSAS416:

I am a mini van mama!! I NEVER in a million years thought I would drive a mini van, but I love it. I have the Honda Odyessy with Navi, Backup Camera, DVD, automatic sliding doors, automatic trunk, etc. Its great with the kids! I press a button and the doors automatically open up. The trunk space is amazing and it is SO deep. 

My SIL has had her Odysessy for over a yr now, and she LOVES it!  Just yesterday she was raving about it again.  I will admit, it is a nice looking vehicle, and very spacious.  And like SAS said, it has all the extras.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I went through all this about 9 months ago and test drove the Nissan, Honda, Toyota and Hyundai sedans and SUVs.  I wanted something with plenty of room since it's now the family car and ended up getting an 08 Hyundai Veracruz. 

Because it was a previous year model I got the Limited so my favorite perks are the sunroof, tinted windows, back up sensors, 3rd row, and conversation mirror (I thought this was silly until I realized how much it helped to take a quick glance at the car seat).

My previous car was a Hyundai Elantra, so I hate the SUV gas mileage (about 16.5 city) and I'm only now getting used to the bigger size.

I have to say, I also loved the Toyota Venza, but it was WAY more expensize.  The Murano was nice but smaller. The Pilot felt more unstable on turns, and the Highlander was too boxy for my taste.  I was looking for the most comfortable option, and Hyundai's just fit me well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"