Preemies

**PreemieParent**

Hi!  Need your advice...

With Cameron's newly found abilities in crawling and cruising, and very soon walking,  I am running into a big problem with the feeding tube.  He steps on the tube pulling the red xmas tree shaped plug out of the connection to the adapter connected to his Mic-Key button.  The pump doesn't know this is happening so it just keeps pumping.  Meanwhile all the milk in the adapter and some from his stomach spill out and down his pant leg.  Yesterday and today I had to change him 5 times.  I tried taping the tube to his clothes on his lower back but when he scoots around or crawls it just comes off.  I have formula EVERYWHERE on the playroom rug. Yuck!

Any tips you can think of?  

Re: **PreemieParent**

• Oh yes the joy of cleaning up formula.  Ugh.

I would order some of these (order a few in case you accidentally throw one away) - https://www.appliedmedical.net/amtclamp.htm  They keep the tube connected to the red end of the bagging tube.   If you search, you can find them for pretty cheap.

In the meantime - you could try taping them together with 3M Coban self adherent wrap (the brown tape that only sticks to itself)  They sell a similar kind at drug stores - I think it's by Scotch.   The great thing about this tape is that it doesn't leave a sticky residue.   I use it to tape the med port shut since Olivia likes to pop it off in her sleep and feed the bed.  I can send you a couple of rolls if you would like.

Do you have the super mini backpack for the pump?   You could try and get Cameron to wear the pump.  That is obviously the easiest way.   We had no trouble getting Olivia to wear it when she started crawling (she was about 1 1/2) but I know other kids refuse to wear it.    If you get him to wear the backpack than I'll give you some other tips.

What lengh tubing are you using?  Is it the 12 inch length?  If it is you can run the cord around his side (put it through the side of the diaper to keep it in place) and then run it up through the top of his shirt.   That might be enough so that the connector area isn't near his feet.

I hope that helps :)   But yeah for lots of crawling and cruising :)

• Yaaaay!  This is exactly what I was hoping you'd say. 

Yes, he's got the 12inch length but we don't have the mini back pack.  I'm not sure if I could get him to wear it, but I will ask the home health care company for all of these things.  If they don't have it then I will go out and get some.  I've never heard of the tape that sticks to itself but my DH said he knows exactly what it is and smacked his palm on his forehead when I told him about it.  I guess he should have known??  LOL!

Thank you so much.  I will let you know if/when we get the mini backpack.

• Loading the player...
  • I just called my home health care company and they don't usually carry these but she said she'd order me two cases, one for each boy, and have them shipped by UPS as soon as they come in.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you. 

Again you always save my sanity.

• Yeah!  I'm glad I could help.   You can also order the 3M brand tape online.  It's far better than what you buy at the drugstore but the drugstore stuff will work until you get the better stuff. 

The backpack is tough.  We got super lucky with Olivia - she doesn't mind it at all (thankfully since she has to wear it all day).   If you think it would help for him to see pictures of someone in the backpack - let me know.  I'll snap some of Olivia and send them right over :)   It might help if you get the backpack all ready and then put it on and then have someone call Cameron over so he instantly realizes - hey, this is cool.  I can go all over the place without having to worry about my tubing.   BTW - make sure you say the super mini backpack. They carry a mini version but it is way too big. 

• She said she wasn't sure they had any super mini packs, but she's checking for me to see if they can order it.  I love our home health care company.  I'll let you know if we get them. 
  • You are lucky - our company sucks.

Let me know if they run into a problem.  I can send you instructions for making your own out of a backpack purse (remember the ones that were all the rage in the mid-90s).   I modified one for Olivia when we had to wait for hers and it worked quite well.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"