Dallas-Fort Worth Babies

Getting discouraged

So now I only have 12 days left of work, and I'm starting to stress out because I don't have a new job lined up.  DH and I looked at our budget, and with my severance, I can pay off several bills, then we can squeeze by with my Unemployment and his salary as long as we pull T out of daycare temporarily, but it will be tight. I've never been in this position, and it sucks.  

/vent 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting discouraged

• Left Hug I'm sorry! GL.
  • I am sorry. I hate this economy. I hate the way it is affecting people, especially my family and friends.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry that you're going through this!  I hate the way this economy is right now and the constant worry its causing so many people!
  • I'm so sorry Amie.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you  :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Sorry Amie. I'll say a special prayer for you tonight. Keep your head up. Hopefully you'll find the perfect job real soon.
  • Aww man Amie I am so sorry... I hope you find something soon :(

• Sorry, girl!  I hope something fabulous comes your way soon!
  • ::hugs::

i'm so sorry Amie, this just sucks :o(

• i'm sorry nothing has worked out so far :(
  • just something I saw on Oprah.  She had Susan (the financial lady) on there and she was talking about in this economy if you loose your job you are better off holding on to your cash and making the minimum payments on your cards because if you pay them off a lot of cards are closing people.  When you get another job then pay them off.  It is better to really cut your spending and just hold on to the $  you get from you company.  

Every situation is different, but just something to think about.  

Wishing you the best. 

• That really sucks.  I hope you find something soon.

I know this sounds weird, but sometimes you have more money than you think.  I was really surprised that we didn't really feel a huge crunch when I quit my job and stayed home with the boys.  You will save a lot of money on gas, eating out, dry cleaning, etc. associated with working.  I'm not saying it will be easy but hopefully some of these things will allow you some extra wiggle room for emergencies.

• imagedaveshell1:

just something I saw on Oprah.  She had Susan (the financial lady) on there and she was talking about in this economy if you loose your job you are better off holding on to your cash and making the minimum payments on your cards because if you pay them off a lot of cards are closing people.  When you get another job then pay them off.  It is better to really cut your spending and just hold on to the $  you get from you company.  

Wishing you the best. 

All of this....and what I "bolded/underlined" = TRUE.   When DH and I had to replace our AC unit etc a few months ago, we planned on putting it on our one  and  only credit card.  So we completely paid if off a few days in advance out of our Savings account.... and they closed it immediately without telling us.  Eff'd us (kind of).  We're totally strapped for $ for the next 3 mos......on the bright side, at least our only debt is in our cars and house.  :::sigh:::

wishing you the best along with everyone else.

• I'm sorry. I really hope you find something soon.?
  • I know you're going to find something awesome, but I'm sorry that you're stressing about it now.  :( 

I definitely agree with holding on to as much $$ as you can, although it's tempting to pay things off (that's my first thought when we get lump sums too).  Yes, you'll have those balances still, but you will also have the cash you may need for emergencies and if god forbid your search takes longer than you think.  Pay off the balances when you land that awesome new job and have money left over!

• imagebnljane1988:
    imagedaveshell1:

just something I saw on Oprah.  She had Susan (the financial lady) on there and she was talking about in this economy if you loose your job you are better off holding on to your cash and making the minimum payments on your cards because if you pay them off a lot of cards are closing people.  When you get another job then pay them off.  It is better to really cut your spending and just hold on to the $  you get from you company.  

Wishing you the best. 

All of this....and what I "bolded/underlined" = TRUE.   When DH and I had to replace our AC unit etc a few months ago, we planned on putting it on our one  and  only credit card.  So we completely paid if off a few days in advance out of our Savings account.... and they closed it immediately without telling us.  Eff'd us (kind of).  We're totally strapped for $ for the next 3 mos......on the bright side, at least our only debt is in our cars and house.  :::sigh:::

wishing you the best along with everyone else.

Triple Ditto this!  The same thing happened to us.  We had one card with a balance on it that we were slowly paying off.  When DH got a bonus at his job we used it to pay this card off.  Not even 2 weeks later we got a letter that they decreased our limit to $200!  I was piissed.  That was the card we had perks on, now it makes no sense to even keep the card, but we had it open so long that we don't want it to affect our credit rating. 

• Oh Amie I am so sorry, I pray you find something quickly.
    Sophia Kate 3.31.08 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Amie, I'm so sorry about your situation. What kind of a job are you looking for? I'm always on the lookout for jobs for one of my friends while she's out of work.
    I also agree with holding onto your money right now and also what pp said with you'd be surprised about how much money you can get by with. Colton has been killing us with medical bills and such. Anyway, every time things get tighter we just don't know what to do, but we manage to somehow make it. Right now we mow yards for extra money. But anyway, you'd be surprised on what you can truely make it on when you're put in that situation.
    Good luck and I hope something great comes your way soon!
  • imageflygeah:

Triple Ditto this!  The same thing happened to us.  We had one card with a balance on it that we were slowly paying off.  When DH got a bonus at his job we used it to pay this card off.  Not even 2 weeks later we got a letter that the decreased our limit to $200!  I was piissed.  That was the card we had perks on, now it makes no sense to even keep the card, but we had it open so long that we don't want it to affect our credit rating. 

Same thing happened to us, on a card we paid off every month.  It was a Lowe's card we opened to get the discount on a lawn mower, and once we paid it off, DH would use it for work expenses (he has to get electrical supplies every once in a while) only, which we were reimbursed for.  He tried to use it once, it was declined and when we called we were told that the account had been closed.  No reason at all.  Fine with me, but we don't shop at Lowe's at all now.

• imagedaveshell1:

Wishing you the best. 

I was going to say this exactly.

Do you have more interviews lined up? Didn't one of the companies need a couple of weeks to give you a decision?

I know you'll find something soon. You are great!! I'm keeping you in my prayers.

• I'm so sorry. :( I'll be keeping you in my thoughts, and I'll keep an eye out in case I see or hear of anything.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ::HUGS:: That's all I've got, I am in the same boat. I will prob. have to sell my car and get a cheaper one. ::sigh::
  • Good luck things will work out somehow.
    CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • I am so sorry to hear that.  This economy is killing everyone.  I will keep you in my thoughts.
  • I am so sorry, I feel you about jobs ending. My Dh has been laid off twice in the past year the second tiem when ds was 5 weeks old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"