Pennsylvania Babies

Strollers: My head is spinning!

Wow, where to start? I've spent the past few hours reading reviews here (Lesli's original post that Jen reposted, so helpful!), online and in Baby Bargains. I feel like I'm informed about what brands I'm comfortable with and all the different options, but I don't know which ones I need! My thoughts...

- We're going to buy an infant seat. Does it make sense just to get the travel system so that we have the stroller for the "in-between" stage and when not using the infant seat?

-Then again, we could really use a jogging stroller on a daily basis. We live in a very hilly area with lakes and beaches. But I want one that would allow the infant seat to attach. Is this safe and the best bet?

-I see the pros of getting a sturdy umbrella stroller when traveling, running errands, etc. and really liked the Maclaren ones.

-Or do I just get the snap-and-go set up for the infant seat and for-go a lightweight stroller, and still get the jogger?

All in all, what do I register for? Do I register for the jogger and umbrella? Or will I regret not having a more traditional stroller? Or do I get the snap and go as well as a jogger and umbrella. That just seems like a LOT of strollers!

Please--your thoughts?? You can tell my head is spinning here.

Re: Strollers: My head is spinning!

• I have the Graco Metrolite travel system and a higher-end umbrella stroller, a Combi. Frankly, I prefer my Metrolite. I started putting Adam in the stroller fully reclined around 3 months. But it was nice to have the travel system for shopping. Here's an example. Around 5 months we go to the outlets. He falls asleep in the car, so I pop out the infant seat and put it on the stroller and start shopping while he's still sleeping. Eventually he wakes up and since he hates being in his infant seat in the stroller, cries until I go back to the car, put the seat back in and put him in the stroller the regular way so that he can see where he's going. That happened a LOT and would not have been possible with a snap and go.

Currently I still prefer the Metrolite and really only use the Combi for long trips when we need every squre inch of our station wagon's cargo space. So if I needed a jogger, I'd probably register for a lightweight travel system, where I knew I'd love the stroller for a long time, and a jogger.

Some tips in deciding? Open and close the stroller a few times and practice getting it in and out of a trunk. Once or twice I could have used one that opened and closed one-handed, but it wasn't a necessity. Also push it around the store for one or two laps. Full-speed. Do your feet kick the wheels? Does it steer with one hand, while you're drinking a drink at the mall? Give it a workout.

• In my experience, I ended up getting a Travel system because I liked the idea of the infant seat being included, and getting the big stroller. ?I really wanted a jogging stroller and ended up needing one because of living in a bumpy, hilly area. ?So i ended up with a big stroller, a jogging stroller, and an umbrella. ?What I wisH i would have done was buy an infant seat, buy a jogging stroller with a swivel and locking wheel, and just make sure the infant seat could fit in the jogger. ?Turned out that our Chicco carseat fit into the Jeep Jogger that we bought. ?You can lock it in but when we laid the seat the whole way down, the carseat fit in great. ?Our jogger does not have an option of a swivel wheel and the only reason that makes sense is that if its the only stroller, it makes it easier when you take it indoors. ?Its hard to turn the ones without the swivel wheel. ?So, they also do have a jogging stroller travel system which is the baby trend one, you just have to make sure you are okay with the baby trend brand, which I think is fine. ?I like our chicco travel system, but i do not use the stroller often. ?

As far as umbrella stroller, we just bought the $19.99 one from Babys r us and we did not register for one. ?I'd say if you want a nicer one, I'd register for it and see if you get it for your shower or as a gift. ?Good luck!?

• Loading the player...
  • fxz109fxz109 member

You've gotten some good advice so far, and whatever you decide to register for, just keep in mind that if once the baby comes and you find out that you really wanted a different stroller, there's always Craigslist! 

• Since our baby will be born in the winter I didn't think I would worry about an in between stroller (in between car seat and umbrella) so we ended up registering for a maclaren and a snap and go.  I actually ended up finding a snap and go at a yard sale in great condition for $10!  So we only registered for the maclaren.  The travel systems were really nice but just imo it seemed bulky and not something that fit our needs.  Hopefully I don't change my mind.
  • imagerlthomas7:

I have the Graco Metrolite travel system and a higher-end umbrella stroller, a Combi. Frankly, I prefer my Metrolite. I started putting Adam in the stroller fully reclined around 3 months. But it was nice to have the travel system for shopping. Here's an example. Around 5 months we go to the outlets. He falls asleep in the car, so I pop out the infant seat and put it on the stroller and start shopping while he's still sleeping. Eventually he wakes up and since he hates being in his infant seat in the stroller, cries until I go back to the car, put the seat back in and put him in the stroller the regular way so that he can see where he's going. That happened a LOT and would not have been possible with a snap and go.

Currently I still prefer the Metrolite and really only use the Combi for long trips when we need every squre inch of our station wagon's cargo space. So if I needed a jogger, I'd probably register for a lightweight travel system, where I knew I'd love the stroller for a long time, and a jogger.

Some tips in deciding? Open and close the stroller a few times and practice getting it in and out of a trunk. Once or twice I could have used one that opened and closed one-handed, but it wasn't a necessity. Also push it around the store for one or two laps. Full-speed. Do your feet kick the wheels? Does it steer with one hand, while you're drinking a drink at the mall? Give it a workout.

I agree with this 100%.  Right now we just have a Metrolite, and I love it.  I'm still a stroller stalker when we're out and about I'm always checking out other people's strollers.  Then I come home and read Baby Bargains and realize that my stroller really is perfect (lightweight, nice size basket, parent cup holders, child tray, fits the infant seat, but can recline so a small infant can ride in the regular stroller, etc.).  If I had to do it again, I'd probably also register for or make it a priority to buy a good jogging stroller (BOB or a similar brand) too.  At this point, I can't see making the investment since we'd like to have a second child within a year or two. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePennyLane06:
    Since our baby will be born in the winter I didn't think I would worry about an in between stroller (in between car seat and umbrella) so we ended up registering for a maclaren and a snap and go.  I actually ended up finding a snap and go at a yard sale in great condition for $10!  So we only registered for the maclaren.  The travel systems were really nice but just imo it seemed bulky and not something that fit our needs.  Hopefully I don't change my mind.

This is exactly what I did for DD, who was born in September.  I knew I wouldn't be taking her out for many walks over the winter and that by spring she would be too big for the infant seat.  I hated the idea of a big bulky travel system, especially in stores, etc.  We got the graco snugride to fit the infant seat and a Maclaren Quest Sport.  My plan worked out great.  Now we only use the Maclaren on errands and for light walks, and I ended up buying a used jogging stroller for $40 for walks around the neighborhood starting this spring.

• imageAmbrandy:

imagePennyLane06:
    Since our baby will be born in the winter I didn't think I would worry about an in between stroller (in between car seat and umbrella) so we ended up registering for a maclaren and a snap and go.  I actually ended up finding a snap and go at a yard sale in great condition for $10!  So we only registered for the maclaren.  The travel systems were really nice but just imo it seemed bulky and not something that fit our needs.  Hopefully I don't change my mind.

This is exactly what I did for DD, who was born in September.  I knew I wouldn't be taking her out for many walks over the winter and that by spring she would be too big for the infant seat.  I hated the idea of a big bulky travel system, especially in stores, etc.  We got the graco snugride to fit the infant seat and a Maclaren Quest Sport.  My plan worked out great.  Now we only use the Maclaren on errands and for light walks, and I ended up buying a used jogging stroller for $40 for walks around the neighborhood starting this spring.

I guess I should have said fall and not winter in my reply. 

Thank you so much for confirming my decision!  I feel good that someone who also had a Sept baby did the same thing and was happy with their choices.

• Thanks for all of your input... once again. Won't we all be glad when I'm done with the registry! :)

I had also thought about the fact that I'm due in December and what I'd really need. Thanks for giving me some food for thought... we'll see what tomorrow brings! And at least it is always easy to make changes online. 

• I'm late but wanted to add that I have the snap and go and love it. it is so liteweight since I am alone all week long I wanted something light and easy for me to just grab and go and this is so easy. We travel a lot and we see people in airports struggling to check their bulky travel systems so it was very important for us to find lightweight. We are going to San Diego in October and the Snap n Go will be great for flying since its not bulky and is lightweight. Once DS is older we have a maclaren for our trips and we know it will be so convenient. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We probably have too many strollers but we love them and use them for different things.  We love our snap and go.  It's sooo compact and light.  Perfect for shopping trips with an infant.  I don't think the Metrolite is that much bigger than the snap and go so I'd compare the two and go for the Metrolite if you think you'll use it past the infant stage.  Our favorite stroller for walks, festivals, etc is our Mountain Buggy.  It drives VERY smoothly, is light, comfortable, and you can steer with one hand.  The seat reclines fully so Ethan has been riding in it since he was a newborn and he'll be in it until he's out of a stroller b/c the weight limit is something crazy like 100lbs.

We also have a Bumbleride Flyer.  It's a great stroller b/c the handlebar can flip both ways, it's pretty light, came with a bumper bar, footmuff, and cupholder.  Ethan was hating facing out when he was smaller and I didn't want to deal with traveling with the infant seat and snap and go when we flew to AZ.  I love that he can face me and I can talk to him while we're out shopping too.

We have a Maclaren umbrella stroller but it's still in the box (shower gift).  He's old enough for it now but we haven't needed it yet.

Hope you had fun registering!!

{Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"