Working Moms

Teachers who took minimal time (6 weeks) off....

I'm really starting to freak out about making it through the day when I go back to work.  I'm due in about 2 weeks, and I'm only taking the 6 paid weeks off for mat leave (finances don't allow me to take more as unpaid). 

There's a few things going on:  1, I'm not sure if I'm physically going to be able to do it with the lack of sleep I'm expecting to have (I travel room to room, teach 9 classes a day, don't sit down at all until lunch or prep); 2, still be able to BF (I'll only be able to pump at best once a day, not sure if I can stockpil enough either before I go back or keep up on weekends, etc.);  3, if I'll mentally be able to do it (LO will be at a daycare).

Words of wisdom, advice, sympathy?  I've been bawling my eyes out the past due days just thinking about this part.

Re: Teachers who took minimal time (6 weeks) off....

•   I'm not a teacher, but I'm a nurse, so I have the same kind of concerns- never getting to sit, no privacy or time to pump, etc.  My job only gives 6 weeks unpaid, and I'm freaking out because it's such a physical job that I don't think I'll make it!  I feel your pain. 
  • dpdwdpdw member

I'm not a teacher either, but with DS I went back to work at 8 weeks, not exactly "minimal," but still less than lots of women.  I think I would have been fine going back at 6 weeks. 

By that point I was fully healed from my c-section and DS was sleeping well.  I nursed him around 11 pm & then at 4 or 5 am -- depending on the timining of the 2nd feeding I either went back to bed for 1-2 hours or got to "sleep in" for 1-2 hours.  It wasn't that bad & I wasn't all that sleepy at work -- and I read contracts all day, so it could easily put you to sleep.

By 6 weeks BFing is pretty well established, but I had a hard time finding time to pump to build up a stash.  Once I got back to work I could only pump once a day & hardly got enough for DS to get through the day.  And my supply just kept decreasing.  I stopped pumping/BFing when he was 4-5 months old b/c I just couldn't keep up.  That was probably the hardest part.  I really wanted to go longer, but the stress was too much, so I stopped.  I was much more relaxed once DS was on formula.

As for the mental ability to do it all -- you'll get through it because you have to.  Yes you'll be exhausted, but you would be if DC was 8 weeks or 12 weeks too.  It sounds like you don't have a choice, so you'll just have to suck it up and deal.  Harsh yes, but what else is there to do?

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Girl, you can do this! I am not a teacher but I work in schools and I have 4 buildings. Everyday is different and scheduling is a mess for me. To make matters worse, I was starting in a completely new district at 6 weeks after my baby was born. I had to hit the ground running. I made it through and so can you! I still pump 3 times a day.

1) You'll adjust to less sleep. Make freezer meals NOW. Not for when the baby is here......but for when you go back to work!!

2) Make it known that there is no other option but for you to pump throughout the day. Edit: IF that's what you want to do. Certainly consider FF if pumping doesn't work for you! If you want to pump Talk to your admin now to find out what kind of coverage they need to get you. Seriously, do not walk in on your first day back without having discussed this with them. Hopefully they will be supportive but if not, google and become familiar with your laws.

like I said I had 4 schools. Next year I have no idea where I'm going to pump in 2 of them, but I will find a place. If I can't, I'll go out to my car. Ask other moms in your school. I have tinted windows in the back and roller shades. Its not ideal, but its better than the nurses bathroom.I have excused myself from meetings with some really high ups in my district. I said "I have a health need to take care of. I'll be back in 15 minutes." They got it and didn't complain one bit. Be firm!

3) Take your baby to daycare for a few hours before the big day back as a "trial run" (for you, not the baby!) Get your tears out then. Drop off all your baby's stuff then. That helped me sooo much! I could not show up all a hot mess looking on my first day of my new job!

Edit: Also! Do not call your DCP the first few days! You can still touch base with her, but either ask her to call you during a good time (and leave a message if needed) or send you a quick email or text. There is NOTHING worse than calling her and then hearing your baby screaming in the background. Seriously, it took all my strength not to leave and go "rescue" him. (in reality he was just waiting for a bottle to heat...but still.)

GL!

• Snowracer had some great tips.  Another thing I'd advise you to do is the EASY (Eat-Awake-Sleep-You time) sleep routine.  The basic premise is that you feed your baby right when they get up, then keep them awake, then put them down for a nap.  Do not feed your baby to get him/her to sleep.  As adults, we don't eat right before bed.  It upsets your stomach and causes you to sleep poorly.  The exact same is true for babies.  During the night you don't keep them awake after a feeding and they fall right back to sleep. 

This routine saved my sanity when I went back to work at 6 weeks.  DD started sleeping 5 hours a night at 2 weeks and was sleeping a FULL 8 hours a night by the time I went back to work.  My other mom friends who have used this routine have also had similar results. 

Another thing, even if you can't pump more than once a day, mix the BM with formula.  It's ok to use formula!  Even if you can only BF in the morning and the evening your supply will regulate and you can continue your BFing routine for a much longer time without pumping during the day.  

It takes a few days to adjust to going back to work, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I've never felt like I missed out on anything and the thing is, no matter who watches your child, they always still want mommy.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been lucky to have been off since March, but I am a teacher as well.  I wanted to second the other poster about using formula if you can't fit BFing in.  I BF DS for 3 months, but have weaned him in preparation of returning to work because w/ my schedule (which doesn't even sound as crazy as yours) I knew that trying to fit pumping in on top of everything else just wasn't going to work for me...and for me, my mental health and trying to manage my stress was more important to helping me be a good mom than continuing to BF DS. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have any advice but I feel for you. My husband and I are almost TTC and I am a teacher. I don't want to quit my job, I love it, and I have an amazing boss and team. But I am also worried about the issues you are dealing with so please let us know how it goes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went back at 7 weeks at by this time DD was sleeping about 6 hours at a time.  It was very hard for me to go back and cried all the way to school, but it gets easier.

Make plans with your admin now. My co-worker pumped this year and did a great job of keeping up with it.  She had a timer on her desk to remind her how much time she had left.  Everyone helped out with coverage when she needed it.  I was totally jealous and wished I continued to pump when I went back instead of FF.

I found that most other staff members know how you feel.  I was one of the youngest teachers at my school and they all rememeber what it is like to have a new baby.  My teaching partner is a man and has three small kids and totally understood everything.

It will be better than you think.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am a teacher and went back to work after 8 weeks. I was still breastfeeding dd at the time, so I had to pump at work. BY LAW  in NC (you might want to look up breastfeeding laws by state) your administrator HAS to give you time during the day to pump if you are breastfeeding as well as a private place to do so. I literally was with my kids from 7:45-3:00 with no breaks, or duty free lunch. I asked co-workers, assitants, whoever I saw to come and cover my class for twenty minutes. It was really not a problem. I pumped twice a day while there, once at 11, and again after the kids boarded the bus at 3. Start pumping at least once during the day now, and freeze it. That way, you will have enough to get through at least the first week. I also pumped in the morning before leaving work (because my daughter was still sleeping) Three bottles a day was enough until I came and got her around 4.

As far as "mentally" being able to handle leaving your little one at daycare, it does get easier. I still feel guilt everyday  I am at work for leaving her at daycare. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"