Working Moms

Teachers - Telling Class?

I teach 4th grade.  My first trimester will end the first week of school.  Would you tell the parents of the kids in your class at the beginning of school/meet the teacher or wait until you start showing?

Re: Teachers - Telling Class?

• I would wait.  Otherwise, it's sort of like saying, "Hi. Welcome.  I'm your child's teacher, but I won't be here for the entire year."  If there's not already a plan for a sub worked out, I would spread the info to the parents (they would likely have questions you can't answer).  The news would just muddle the beginning of the year.
  • I have not told school yet, my plan is to tell admin end of August and then my class/parents at first parent teacher conference.  I teach Kindergarten.
    Birthday BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When I started the school year, I was 5+ months pregnant (with twins) and the first question I got from students was, "are you having a baby?"  However, I never made any announcement to parents.  A few asked me at open house, but it honestly wasn't a huge deal.  Most of my students by that point, had had a teacher who had gone out on maternity.

Since you will only be ending your first trimester, I'd wait until you start showing.

• I was about as far along as you will be when I went back to school last year.  I teach K and it would have FREAKED some parents out if they knew I was pregnant at the beginning of the year (as it was one still freaked out when she found out I would be out for the full 12 weeks).  Anyhow, that being said, I did not tell until I was about 16 week pregnant.  In fact, the only people I told at school earlier were my principal and my assistant.  Why?  Because if your school is anything like mine, secrets don't stay secrets long.  I knew that if the general faculty knew, it wouldn't be long before my parents found out.
  •  I think that they will figure it out eventually, especially being 4th graders. I never told my students. My 2nd graders never asked, until one little girl pointed it out to a couple of kids near the end of the school year (and I was already 7 months pregnant). Some kids asked about it, and I told them that yes, I was having a baby, and that was it. I don't know, maybe it was because of my history with pregnancies, and I also didn't feel like it was any of their business. I know other teachers that told their students right away, and that is OK too, but I just didn't.
  • I would wait- It is just like a parent asking about their kid the first day of school and you don't even know them yet.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"