3rd Trimester

Would Saoirse be a cruel middle name?

I came across this name a few years ago in a book I was reading, and I love it. Its pronounced "Seer-sha", and its Gaelic for freedom.

So, do you think its a cruel middle name for a girl? I know no one will ever be able to say it properly due to the spelling, but I think it neat. Honestly, what do you guys think? Possibly first name is Abigail

Re: Would Saoirse be a cruel middle name?

• It is on our short list since we're both Irish. I think it's a great name! Nobody ever uses middle names any way.
  • imageStephanie3025:

I know no one will ever be able to say it properly due to the spelling,

It's cruel because of this. GL.

EDIT: WAIT! Nevermind. It's a middle name- that's fine!!! Sorry.

• Loading the player...
  • Middle names aren't used much except for the initial so if you like it, go for it!
  • mrsmelmrsmel member
    i'm gonna go with yes. if only because most people will not know it's gailic, will not know how to pronounce it, and will butcher it to high heaven.
  • If it's an important name to you and you both love it, it doesn't matter what we think. I think cruel is not the right term. It may be a difficult middle name for her, but she may grow to love it.
    Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • I don't think Saoirse goes with Abigail but as for the name itself, I know how it's pronounced!  That's probably becaused I've done plenty of digging into Irish and Scottish baby names though, lol.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • As a middle name, it's fine. Wouldn't be my first choice to go with Abigail, but if it's meaningful to you, do it.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am Irish moved her 7 years ago and my first name is Niamh pronounced Neeev. I love having an unsual name and once you educate people how to pronounce it they love it too. So iam going with no it's not cruel I think it's beautiful.

• I agree with Niamh above ? once you educate people on how it's pronounced, I don't think it will be an ongoing issue.  And it is a beautiful name!  (I also love the name Niamh, but it was nixed from our list because we know about 5 Niamhs....blast!)
  • i love it!

would spelling it more conventional be out of the question?  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks guys! I love all the different opinions!

• Unfortunately I know several people who named their dog Saoirse. 

ps.  It took me forever to figure out how to pronounce it.

• For a middle name, I see nothing wrong with it. People rarely use their middle names anyways, so if people can't pronounce it, don't worry!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love it and think it's a beautiful name!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think its cruel - no one really uses middle names and its a good conversation topic for her in the future!  I think its really pretty!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It's different. But:

1) It's important to you.

2) It's a middle name, so it won't be used all the time, like when she's called on in class.

Go for it!

• I like it! Kinda NMS, but I think its pretty. I had a similar name on the list for awhile but crossed it off a few weeks ago. My name was Siobhan. Pronounced She-ban. DH didn't think it was quite "classic" enough. So, we are naming her Audrey which was my top pick anyway!
  • I like it, but then again I'm a fan of Gaelic names. 

I always thought it was pronounced Soar-sha--goes to show what I know!

• imageDavesGirl9019:
    I like it! Kinda NMS, but I think its pretty. I had a similar name on the list for awhile but crossed it off a few weeks ago. My name was Siobhan. Pronounced She-ban. DH didn't think it was quite "classic" enough. So, we are naming her Audrey which was my top pick anyway!

Not to nit pick but siobhan is pronounced shove-on the bh makes a v sound like the mh in Niamh because there is no v the gaelic alphabet.

Although Audrey is very classic name I love it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"